Tackling

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
When I watch football, at any level, I have one HUGE pet peeve that drives me absolutely insane....

Guys that go to tackle someone with their head down and staring at the ground.

And you see it at every level, including the NFL. Actually especially in the NFL and in college. And Saturday night it probably cost us a win IMO. On nearly every big play or TD run that David Johnson had, we had guys trying to tackle him with their heads down staring at the ground. And usually we whiffed or when we did get lucky to make some contact we never wrapped up. It drove me nuts.

Not only is it nearly completely ineffective at bringing down a ball carrier, but it's also a great way to break your neck and end up paralyzed too.

So how does this happen? Obviously they aren't taught to do this, I would hope, so why does it always happen? If I was the head coach and I saw someone try to tackle someone like that, I'd yank him right then. I'd sit him for a few plays and explain why. And if I saw it again after putting them back in, they'd be done for the night.

You cannot afford to have 3 tacklers whiff on David Johnson and allow him to run 37 yds for a TD. If that's not reason enough to get yanked from the game, then I don't know what is?

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
When a little man runs into a big man, the big man usually wins unless the little man gets low, and sometimes when you get low it's hard to keep your head up.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA
In the heat of things fundamentals can be forgotten. I expect that tackling to be much improved the rest of this season.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
Are you still melting down?

Yes. Actually I'm getting more ticked off by the day. It's not a good thing that we don't play this week. Otherwise I might have looked forward to this week's game by now. But the more and more I think about last Saturday night, the more ticked off I become. It was that bad.

And blaming our poor tackling on the idea that David Johnson was just too big for us to tackle, I'm sorry, that's just another lame excuse. Tackle correctly and you can bring anyone down.

Doc

This is it Morty
Aug 6, 2006
Denver
Yes. Actually I'm getting more ticked off by the day. It's not a good thing that we don't play this week. Otherwise I might have looked forward to this week's game by now. But the more and more I think about last Saturday night, the more ticked off I become. It was that bad.

And blaming our poor tackling on the idea that David Johnson was just too big for us to tackle, I'm sorry, that's just another lame excuse. Tackle correctly and you can bring anyone down.

I'm not making excuses, I'm simply explaining why you occasionally see a tackler with a head down...obviously, we all don't want mistakes.

Luth4Cy

Sep 19, 2012
Ames, IA

Clonedude, I appreciate your dedicated to Cyclone athletics but I think it would bode well for you and everybody on this website if you would either be more positive or post less often.

Yellow Snow

Full of nonsense....
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Osage, IA

I'm blaming it on the fact that most of our missed tackles were due to being out of position. When you are not where you are supposed to be you dive. When you dive, your head is down and you are looking at the ground.

It's not complicated to understand, but you seem to have a problem with it.

CyArob

Why are you the way that you are?
Apr 22, 2011
MN
Clonedude, I appreciate your dedicated to Cyclone athletics but I think it would bode well for you and everybody on this website if you would either be more positive or post less often.

What, you don't like 90+ meltdown posts since Saturday night from one person?

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
I do believe that when Marshall Lynch comes at you, you want to get real low to tackle. Last year Knott and Klein at 250-253 lbs each just ran into the ball carriers. Not sure our linebackers and dbs are wanting to do that as much.

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
I rewatched a little of the game last night and I thought the biggest problem with our tackling was that we didn't do very much of it. I think if we increased the amount of tackling we do we'll be in a lot better position next game.

Judoka

Jun 16, 2010
Timbuktu
I rewatched a little of the game last night and I thought the biggest problem with our tackling was that we didn't do very much of it. I think if we increased the amount of tackling we do we'll be in a lot better position next game.

I think you might be on to something there.

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
When I watch football, at any level, I have one HUGE pet peeve that drives me absolutely insane....

Guys that go to tackle someone with their head down and staring at the ground.

And you see it at every level, including the NFL. Actually especially in the NFL and in college. And Saturday night it probably cost us a win IMO. On nearly every big play or TD run that David Johnson had, we had guys trying to tackle him with their heads down staring at the ground. And usually we whiffed or when we did get lucky to make some contact we never wrapped up. It drove me nuts.

Not only is it nearly completely ineffective at bringing down a ball carrier, but it's also a great way to break your neck and end up paralyzed too.

So how does this happen? Obviously they aren't taught to do this, I would hope, so why does it always happen? If I was the head coach and I saw someone try to tackle someone like that, I'd yank him right then. I'd sit him for a few plays and explain why. And if I saw it again after putting them back in, they'd be done for the night.

You cannot afford to have 3 tacklers whiff on David Johnson and allow him to run 37 yds for a TD. If that's not reason enough to get yanked from the game, then I don't know what is?

Have you e-mailed Pollard?

CYme

Dec 6, 2011
Pella, IA

Tackling? Don't talk about -- tackling?! You kidding me?! Tackling?! I just hope we can win a game!

ChickenWing

Dec 22, 2008
Des Moines
Have you ever played football? Have you ever tackled anyone? Do you put on lipstick and sharpen a machete while watching replays of the game?

Help Support Us

Become a patron