tackling technique

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
How did people survive with hard shell helmets and no facemasks?
Was there an era of hard shells and no facemasks? I thought they went from leather helmets to shells/masks.

Anyway, people in leather helmets did die, usually from skull fractures. Football was nearly banned because of the number of deaths. The hard helmets were a response to that. It stopped the fractures, but set us up for concussions and CTE.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
In my opinion, the only targeting penalty should be to defenseless receivers. Once they make any move (take a step, duck, start to spin, etc...) they are no longer defenseless and should be fair game. Stoops was an active "runner" at the point trying to get extra yards, leading with his head no less. A runner does that at their own risk knowing they will likely get hit. What else was Young supposed to do in that instance? Let him get the extra yards? He didn't hit him with his helmet.

I would also include blind side blocks too. Taking those out of the equation has made kick and punt returns a lot safer.

KnappShack

May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Was there an era of hard shells and no facemasks? I thought they went from leather helmets to shells/masks.

Anyway, people in leather helmets did die, usually from skull fractures. Football was nearly banned because of the number of deaths. The hard helmets were a response to that. It stopped the fractures, but set us up for concussions and CTE.

1950s
1950_turner-color.jpg

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Watching the UNLV replay, I'm not sure how King didn't get ejected in the 1st half. Then, like 2 plays later, he did it again! (didn't get called).
Link to the UNLV replay please. I still haven't been able to find one. [non espn+ anyway; I don't have that].

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron