Tackling in Practice (? for former players)

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

BooneCy

May 30, 2006
So, I know that Chizik hardly had his teams tackle during in season practices, which I would think would affect technique, but for all of you former players out there, is this common? And if I am wrong and the people that I know were at practices missed something, let me know.

IOWASTATE

Oct 29, 2007
Ames
No there really wasnt a whole lot of contact in general at practice. The upside to this is that their wasnt a whole lot of injuries resulting from practice. Also fwiw near the end of the season guys like scales and arob wore no contact jerseys everyday. I would say the linemen had the most contact during practice but there was rarely ever any tackling

troyrew

Apr 19, 2006
Las Vegas
Iowa under Fry had almost Zero contact in season.

Bo Pelini came in as a Grad Assistant from Ohio state and was shocked that we didnt do any.

Fry told him are drop of from #1 to #2 at most positions was to great. At Ohio State there was very little drop off.

Isu would be in the same boat as Iowa you just cant afford practice injuries.

If the guys dont have the fundamentals from high school and spring ball then they may never learn them.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
Scales usually fell down before contact in the games anyway.

The endless hate Scales gets on this website astounds me. The kid chose ISU over several other options, and fought through some pretty tough injuries when he could have just packed it in and nobody would have blamed him for it. All so he could be a member of what has been a pretty crappy football team during his time here.

He didn't really play all that much or cost us any games or anything, so why all the Scales hate?

Reactions: kingcy and Bigguns

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
The endless hate Scales gets on this website astounds me. The kid chose ISU over several other options, and fought through some pretty tough injuries when he could have just packed it in and nobody would have blamed him for it. All so he could be a member of what has been a pretty crappy football team during his time here.

He didn't really play all that much or cost us any games or anything, so why all the Scales hate?
Exactly! Great kid that gave ISU everythign he had as well as being a great representative.

GeronimusClone

Oct 23, 2008
Des Moines, IA
Didn't know you were intimately involved. Wasn't making a judgement on him as a person, but his play. If he can't handle that, shouldn't be in the sport.

Clones85'

Just Win Baby
Jan 31, 2007

I agree!

But....he did cost us the A&M game this year

Raymeus

Nov 8, 2006
Under Walden we had hardly any tackling, blocking, etc. In fact, if we made a tackle on scourt team we'd often times get yelled at. There was also an "understanding" between the O and D linemen and linebackers that as soon as you made contact you would grunt and groan and make it seem like you were blocking/shedding a block when in reality you were just standing there.

wartknight

Mar 24, 2006
From what I experienced in college, what I've witnessed at ISU, and what I use and what others use as a high school coach, the most common tempo for a practice is "high and hard" aka, "thud"
Live in the lines, form up on the ballcarrier, don't come within a couple yards of the qb, and do not, under any circumstances go to the ground. That is where injuries happen of guys getting rolled up on.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
Didn't know you were intimately involved. Wasn't making a judgement on him as a person, but his play. If he can't handle that, shouldn't be in the sport.

Well there is a reason he was in the backfield and that is because he could actually pick up a blitz and block the blitzer. Which can't be said for any other RB. Pretty important since we were playing form behind and passing a lot. And when it comes down to it, most of our running backs would go down with contact. ARob got better as the season went on but they all go down pretty easy.

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
There was also an "understanding" between the O and D linemen and linebackers that as soon as you made contact you would grunt and groan and make it seem like you were blocking/shedding a block when in reality you were just standing there.

HAHAHA

troyrew

Apr 19, 2006
Las Vegas
The Only Contact daily at iowa was oline dline but it was one on one and nothing low.

The worst injuries I saw was actually jumping over dummies more than one ACL was lost to that.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
Well there is a reason he was in the backfield and that is because he could actually pick up a blitz and block the blitzer. Which can't be said for any other RB. Pretty important since we were playing form behind and passing a lot. And when it comes down to it, most of our running backs would go down with contact. ARob got better as the season went on but they all go down pretty easy.

Good point. I don't think a lot of casual fans seem to realize that blocking from the RB spot is crucial.

ISUclones33

Nov 26, 2006
ARob and Jason Scales both had stingers for the most of the end of the season. Arob also had many other injuries he was fighting. But, since the staff refused to play JJ and Jason Harris...

ColSpringsClone

Jan 6, 2009
Under Walden we had hardly any tackling, blocking, etc. In fact, if we made a tackle on scourt team we'd often times get yelled at. There was also an "understanding" between the O and D linemen and linebackers that as soon as you made contact you would grunt and groan and make it seem like you were blocking/shedding a block when in reality you were just standing there.

I would have to agree with how things were under Walden. Although in Walden's first year, the scout team was so undersized on the line that we had to go hard to survive, but I can guarantee that we were not pushing the starters that hard.

I will say that Joe Henderson would go full out in practice. Even when he had the "no contact" jersey on, he had no problem running over a lineman.

MrGreg

Oct 18, 2006
Good point. I don't think a lot of casual fans seem to realize that blocking from the RB spot is crucial.

yup, see adrian peterson on the vikes, great runner but poor blocker, tough to have him in during passing situations
Posted via Mobile Device

Cy Hard

Jan 5, 2008
Polka City
I would have to agree with how things were under Walden. Although in Walden's first year, the scout team was so undersized on the line that we had to go hard to survive, but I can guarantee that we were not pushing the starters that hard.

I will say that Joe Henderson would go full out in practice. Even when he had the "no contact" jersey on, he had no problem running over a lineman.
Joe Henderson was the man. When I was playing fb at AHS, he stopped by from time to time and worked with us. He was built like a brick ****house and had the attitude on the field to go with it. Great guy, and Walden would show up from time to time too. Good times when those guys were around.