Switching to a Samsung S8/Android

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
L

LincolnWay187

I just switched to an Android and Samsung S8. I have always been an Apple user and switched from an iphone 5. Any cool apps/tips you would recommend? I have been searching online and it seems like the Android user base is very savvy/enthusiastic.

Also, in case anyone needs a phone or is considering switching, best buy has a black friday deal for $370 for a new S8 through Verizon at the moment.

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Although I'm on my third Samsung phone now, I dislike their default apps for keyboard and messaging, as I found both of them to suffer a bit from slowness. I replaced them with Messages (by Google) and G-board (by Google...) from the Play Store. I find Messages to be much snappier for daily usage, and G-board to have a little different-size keys that I type better on (as well as being a bit more responsive). G-board also has built-in emoji searching and a GIF search keyboard, if you're into that sort of thing (I enjoy being able to use it to quickly send GIFs via text message).

On my Note 8, I also made some changes to how it operates. I have almost all background apps and data turned off with very few exceptions, and I keep the brightness down pretty low to prolong battery life.

Reactions: LincolnWay187

FredCyclone

Sep 30, 2017
Do this to help with the LAG

1. In the Settings app on your Android phone, scroll to the bottom and tap About phone
  2. Find the entry titled Build number and tap it repeatedly seven times
  3. Press the back button and you’ll see a new Developer options menu above About phone
  4. Inside the developer options menu, scroll down and find the following three settings: Windows animation scale, Transition animation scale and Animator duration scale. By default, each one is set to 1x. Open them one at a time and change 1x to .5x (that’s “.5x” not “5x”).

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
My favorite app is Tasker. It's a paid app, but very powerful in what you can do.

I used to change all my devices to the Swype keyboard, but I'm now converted to Swiftkey.

Power Toggles is another one I use alot, but probably not one a lot of people use or would care about.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Smart locks are fantastic for Bluetooth devices and locations. Don't have to enter a password or username your fingerprint when they are connected.

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
I just switched to an Android and Samsung S8. I have always been an Apple user and switched from an iphone 5. Any cool apps/tips you would recommend? I have been searching online and it seems like the Android user base is very savvy/enthusiastic.

Also, in case anyone needs a phone or is considering switching, best buy has a black friday deal for $370 for a new S8 through Verizon at the moment.

Going to get mine today!

SDClone

Oct 3, 2007
Ankeny, Iowa

1. In the Settings app on your Android phone, scroll to the bottom and tap About phone
  3. Press the back button and you’ll see a new Developer options menu above About phone
  4. Inside the developer options menu, scroll down and find the following three settings: Windows animation scale, Transition animation scale and Animator duration scale. By default, each one is set to 1x. Open them one at a time and change 1x to .5x (that’s “.5x” not “5x”).

This is an awesome trick. I love how much faster my phone is now.

• Agree
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

CycloneSarah

Aug 9, 2016
Just got one on Saturday so I'm glad you posted this! I upgraded from the Galaxy S5 so not as much of a change but still lots of new things. I've started messing with Nova Launcher to eliminate the swipe up or down to get to app tray since apparently my side-swipes are more up and down than sideways and I was constantly opening the app tray. Now its a button in a dock at the bottom like it was on my S5. I've also downloaded a couple different apps to change the icons to be more uniform. The GalaxyS8 subreddit has a weekly thread to post pics and details of customizations which is good for inspiration.

Reactions: aauummm

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Wow, an actual Black Friday deal that isn't hype and BS. $370 is a smashing good deal for sure considering what they are asking for the premier phones right now. Wish I could have found a deal like this when my old S5 started to fritz out last year.

Dilly! Dilly!

NATEizKING

Feb 18, 2011
Hilton
Buy a case, the edge screen makes them break easily. I was used to my indestructible S6, never owned a case in my life but I will if I decide to replace the crack in my screen. Luckily my phone came free through trade in of my S6 through US Cellular promotion so I can justify the $175 deductible for replacement.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
Get the liquid screen protector. Guess that's not android specific, but it's SOOO nice!

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa

This is life-changing. I actually just turned my animations totally off and it feels like lightspeed.

I'm also weird and turn on the tap location indicator setting.

amishclone

Feb 23, 2014
I got one of these on my Note 8 and can't shake the feeling that it's a total scam.
At least you won't get dirt between the screen & the protector like you used to. I've had mine since the 1st of September under some pretty harsh conditions & it's still just as nice as the day I got it.