NBA: Sweep?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Do the Warriors complete the sweep tonight?

• Yes

Votes: 47 83.9%
  • No

Votes: 9 16.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
The gentlemen's sweep

Yeah. Not exactly breaking news, but it's up to Lebron. If he's already mentally gone from Cleveland then maybe he coasts tonight and Golden State wins by 20+. I just don't think he'll check out like that. I expect him to go down fighting, but we'll see. Here's an interesting question - is Lebron the Finals MVP despite being on the losing side?

CubsClones1

Nov 12, 2012
Prairie City
I'm going with the Warriors complete the sweep tonight so Lebron can #TrustTheProcess and join Simmons & Embiid in Philly!!

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Yeah. Not exactly breaking news, but it's up to Lebron. If he's already mentally gone from Cleveland then maybe he coasts tonight and Golden State wins by 20+. I just don't think he'll check out like that. I expect him to go down fighting, but we'll see. Here's an interesting question - is Lebron the Finals MVP despite being on the losing side?
No it'll be KD

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

Absolutely not.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016

C'mon now. About the only scenario of LeBron being in the conversation is if he pushed it to 7 games.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
C'mon now. About the only scenario of LeBron being in the conversation is if he pushed it to 7 games.

One of the two best players on the court every game so far. You can't say that for KD or Steph. The Warriors have the luxury of one or more of their stars being off on any given night. If Lebron has an off night or even an off quarter then the game isn't even competitive. You tell me who's more valuable to their team.

• Agree
Reactions: SCyclone

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
One of the two best players on the court every game so far. You can't say that for KD or Steph. The Warriors have the luxury of one or more of their stars being off on any given night. If Lebron has an off night or even an off quarter then the game isn't even competitive. You tell me who's more valuable to their team.
that's not how any of this works.jpg

The idea that you're bringing this up when he's about to get swept is ridiculous. LeBron has played great, but they're not going to award the MVP to a guy that loses 4-0 or 4-1.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
View attachment 55511

The idea that you're bringing this up when he's about to get swept is ridiculous. LeBron has played great, but they're not going to award the MVP to a guy that loses 4-0 or 4-1.

But they might give it to a guy who played really well in some but not all of the games simply because his team is better overall? How does that make any more sense?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
But they might give it to a guy who played really well in some but not all of the games simply because his team is better overall? How does that make any more sense?

How many times has the losing team had the MVP in the 4 major sports?

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
How many times has the losing team had the MVP in the 4 major sports?

I don't know about the other three, but it's only happened once in the NBA (Jerry West for the Lakers back in the 60s). So it's extremely rare. Doesn't change the fact that Lebron has consistently been either the best player or one of the two best every single game this series. If you don't think the player from a losing team should get it, I understand. But I would argue that if he doesn't deserve it then they should leave it vacant. The Finals MVP maybe shouldn't go to a player from a losing team, but it also shouldn't go to a player who has disappeared for chunks of games or entire games in the series.

edit: I checked - once in the Super Bowl, five times in the NHL postseason, and once in World Series history. So yeah, rare. But then, so is what Lebron has done.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I don't know about the other three, but it's only happened once in the NBA (Jerry West for the Lakers back in the 60s). So it's extremely rare. Doesn't change the fact that Lebron has consistently been either the best player or one of the two best every single game this series. If you don't think the player from a losing team should get it, I understand. But I would argue that if he doesn't deserve it then they should leave it vacant. The Finals MVP maybe shouldn't go to a player from a losing team, but it also shouldn't go to a player who has disappeared for chunks of games or entire games in the series.

Haha leave it vacant. Like I said LeBron can be in the conversation, but it needs to go 7 games. Durant should win the award otherwise.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
The league office has let the refs know they would like to see at least five games of revenue. I see a lot of early calls on Curry and Green. Maybe even a first half T.
Cleveland rolls to a 10 point win.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Haha leave it vacant. Like I said LeBron can be in the conversation, but it needs to go 7 games. Durant should win the award otherwise.

Fair enough. We'll see how it goes. If the Warriors win and KD has another monster game or Steph lights it up then it's all good. Pick one of them and call it a day. But if Lebron has another Game 1 type effort in a losing cause then I think you'll be surprised at how many voters select him.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Off topic, but good trivia - Who is the only player to win the Heisman Trophy while playing for a team with a losing record?

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Fair enough. We'll see how it goes. If the Warriors win and KD has another monster game or Steph lights it up then it's all good. Pick one of them and call it a day. But if Lebron has another Game 1 type effort in a losing cause then I think you'll be surprised at how many voters select him.

Aren't there only 11 voters? I could see a couple people voting for him.