Survivor - Ghost Island

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
I laughed last night when James said "great blindside guys." Really? You thought that was a blindside? You knew there was a good chance 3 votes were going your way that night so that wasn't a blindside. A blindside is when someone had no idea at all their name was being discussed or someone flips on their alliance as the swing vote.

I think maybe part of the reason why this season has not been so entertaining is the average age of this cast is mostly in their mid to late 20's. The oldest player was 42 I think and only like 6 or 7 of them were over the age of 30 I think. There isn't much of a generation gap that there usually is in most casts so that may be why we haven't seen as much strategy and conflicts play out yet.

Yeah and the keep trying to sell us on certain stories that are just not good stories. Like two ladies who are now divorced. Well divorce is not a good story ( I just got divorced not to long ago). Ben last year had a good story that made me care for him as a person and a Vet. Where are guys like that. Where are the guys like coach who are just out there and we grow to love him because he is so far out. Where is the CIA agent that nobody is really sure if he actually was a CIA agent until final when they brought in a CIA agent to verify. Cant remember his name but he was a black guy who wore under where all the time. I guess everyone is just a little to normal for me. I need so characters that make moves. Boston Rob, Parvati, Coach, Ozzie. Nobody stands out. I think they thought the little gay kid from Kentucky might be a character but he just is annoying.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Yeah and the keep trying to sell us on certain stories that are just not good stories. Like two ladies who are now divorced. Well divorce is not a good story ( I just got divorced not to long ago). Ben last year had a good story that made me care for him as a person and a Vet. Where are guys like that. Where are the guys like coach who are just out there and we grow to love him because he is so far out. Where is the CIA agent that nobody is really sure if he actually was a CIA agent until final when they brought in a CIA agent to verify. Cant remember his name but he was a black guy who wore under where all the time. I guess everyone is just a little to normal for me. I need so characters that make moves. Boston Rob, Parvati, Coach, Ozzie. Nobody stands out. I think they thought the little gay kid from Kentucky might be a character but he just is annoying.

I like the way they're changing it up with more frequent tribe shakeups but I also think that's hurting our ability to connect with individuals because we largely connect with them through the alliances they've formed. Sure last week showed that the Niviti group was pretty tight, but all in all I think this season's alliances are some of the weakest I've seen on the show. It's hard to follow who's with who when the tribes change so often.

• Agree
Reactions: ImJustKCClone

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Anyone else having trouble getting to know the cast this year. Except for a few people they are focusing on, which normally means those people are going to last a long time. I am having trouble following who is in an alliance and who came from what tribe. I hate early merges. It really takes game play out of it and makes it more of a luck game like Big Brother.

Plus, Ghost Island needs to have a game every time. Even if it's set up to not win anything.

A few points based on the last few comments in this thread:

I agree it can be hard to digest so many new faces. One thing I'd suggest for next season is to listen to the First One Out podcast series. http://robhasawebsite.com/survivor-...land-pre-season-preview-first-one-out-wigler/
It features in depth interviews with Jeff Probst, show producers, and each contestant. It also has information on the background of the theme. If anything, it'll show that the contestants are sometimes nothing like their edit. For example, Bradley is kind of a ****, but nowhere near as bad as the villian he's portrayed in edits.

While confusing to keep track of everyone, I love the tribe swaps. It keeps the game from being too linear (aka two tribes stay the same until the merge and you're left with 7 v 4). Also, trying to condense 3 days into 1 hour basically makes it hard to give everyone a fair edit or to get to know everyone.

I wish they'd tell more back stories such as Desiree who was so immature and had bad behavior as a teenager, her parents sent her to live with her Grandmother in Nigeria. She's also been homeless.

I strongly disagree that Big Brother is a luck game, but we can debate that in another thread :)

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Ghost Island has failed on so many levels. I am talking about the actual island and not this season. What is the point of it. First off more than not there has not been a chance for someone to win something. The one time the guy went for it, he ended up winning an advantage for someone else to use. They should at least have them play the game every time even if both boxes are empty. You can at least tempt them and make that a point of the show.

Ben last season was a strong player who was great. However, the strong players this year are all kind of deuchey type people so the people I like kind of don't do stuff anyway.

The blind sides have not even been worthy of getting excited about. My daughter and I watched last night and the guy that they blindsided was a guy that my daughter forgot was even playing the game until this episode. She said during the episode "That guy is getting voted off". I ask why she though that. She said "Because they ignored him for the past 5 weeks and now the episode keeps interviewing him".

Sure enough he got the boot.

I agree it's been ineffective so far. It was better when the person sent at least missed the vote....you could put some strategy with that. Also, it's not getting much airtime either which hurts. I really liked the concept, but it needs more yet.

I will say it did lead to an almost awesome tribal council when Michael claimed James' idol was worth two since James went out with two idols. Without Ghost Island, there is no basis to make that lie somewhat believable.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
BTW I don't like tribe swaps that much. It takes a ton of game play out and instead it's a luck thing unless you find the idle. Like someone can be playing a great game, yet tribe swap puts them on the bottom and screws them for no reason.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Glad to see Bradley finally go. Him and Chris are probably my least 2 favorites this season. Things should start to get interesting with the merge this week. Obviously the Chris vs Dom drama will be back and hopefully people are smart enough to see that taking out Chris soon is in their best interests because he's the biggest physical threat left. Dom comes off as a likable guy to me but then again we hear how the edits don't always make people seem as good or bad as they really are. The guy that found the "stick" that was a fake idol in a previous season but is now a real idol I think when he thinks he is on the chopping block should just show it and tell everyone he plans to use it. Who is going to believe that a stick is a real idol so may as well see if they are dumb enough fall for it and use it to blindside someone.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
Glad to see Bradley finally go. Him and Chris are probably my least 2 favorites this season. Things should start to get interesting with the merge this week. Obviously the Chris vs Dom drama will be back and hopefully people are smart enough to see that taking out Chris soon is in their best interests because he's the biggest physical threat left. Dom comes off as a likable guy to me but then again we hear how the edits don't always make people seem as good or bad as they really are. The guy that found the "stick" that was a fake idol in a previous season but is now a real idol I think when he thinks he is on the chopping block should just show it and tell everyone he plans to use it. Who is going to believe that a stick is a real idol so may as well see if they are dumb enough fall for it and use it to blindside someone.

Guy seems like a complete doosh.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Guy seems like a complete doosh.

He seems like a guy on CSI or NCIS that would be a serial killer. Like plays the roll of the nice husband and at the end of the episode he turns into creepy guy who is actually the murderer. BTW My daughter came up with that theory and I agreed.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
He seems like a guy on CSI or NCIS that would be a serial killer. Like plays the roll of the nice husband and at the end of the episode he turns into creepy guy who is actually the murderer. BTW My daughter came up with that theory and I agreed.

That's a pretty brilliant take.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Honestly I'm pissed that Chris is such a dumbass. That had the chance to be a truly epic tribal... instead he's so dang dumb he doesn't play an idol in a vote that literally everybody is saying is a showdown between him and Dom.

I like Wendell, Libby, Dom, and Laurel, any of those win I'm happy. I agree with those that say I'm done with the Naviti girls, just annoying and boring. Still don't even know the dark haired girls name.

rholtgraves

Sep 25, 2009
So glad to Chris go! Guy was so annoying and cocky

I wanted to like Chris because he has a great story but he is so unaware of how he talks and acts to people. He thinks that by constantly talking about himself and how great he is, that he is connecting with people.

• Agree
Reactions: CycloneRulzzz

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
So glad to Chris go! Guy was so annoying and cocky

Listening to RHAP, they say he's the best part of the show. Of course he's cocky and unaware, but he's at least interesting. He makes you have a reaction. People like Libby and Chelsea don't get reactions out of people other than being hot.

I'm on the Dom/Wendell train. Dom was smart to not risk waiting til week 6.

Also, you can tell production rode the Chris train as long as they could. He and Dom had 10+ confessions and everyone else combined was maybe 5.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Honestly I'm pissed that Chris is such a dumbass. That had the chance to be a truly epic tribal... instead he's so dang dumb he doesn't play an idol in a vote that literally everybody is saying is a showdown between him and Dom.

I like Wendell, Libby, Dom, and Laurel, any of those win I'm happy. I agree with those that say I'm done with the Naviti girls, just annoying and boring. Still don't even know the dark haired girls name.

Right. It's not even like it was a normal idol. He only could use it this time or next time. The obvious choice was this time when you know it's between you and one other guy. That is right up there with the rest of the dumb moves ever on survivor.

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Right. It's not even like it was a normal idol. He only could use it this time or next time. The obvious choice was this time when you know it's between you and one other guy. That is right up there with the rest of the dumb moves ever on survivor.

I still say the dumbest move in the history of survivor was Woo taking Tony to the finals. A $900,000 decision.

Reactions: rholtgraves