Survivor - Ghost Island

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Didn't see a thread for it yet so thought I should start one. Thoughts on the new twists with this season that just kicked off on Wednesday? I like how they are re-inserting advantages that previous contestants failed with, already have seen it backfire a little with Jacob who tried the fake idol thing as a cover story for the legacy advantage which he blabbed about anyways to someone.

One thing I noticed is it is a pretty young cast this time, oldest person is 42 and only 6 of them are over 30 years old. Usually seem to get better seasons when the cast is entirely new but I think having the former contestants back who made the blunders with advantages that they are tying in with ghost island would have been fun to watch to see if those players could play the game better a 2nd time and not make similar mistakes again. One thing I have always wondered is if they are ever going to bring the car challenge back and this would be a great season for that since no one that won the car challenge ever won Survivor or at least the season in which they won it on as Boston Rob won later in another season. A refresher of those victims: http://www.survivorfanwiki.com/page/The+Car+Curse! I remember watching Survivor Guatemala when Cindy won the car and had the option to give it up and give a car to each of the remaining contestants and chose to keep it for herself. I would find it hard not to take someone to the final 4 if not the jury if they had given me a new car as win or lose you still came away from the show with something of value.

Erik still will go down as the dumbest Survivor ever. As soon as he gave it up the jury was laughing and those ladies who conned him into giving it up were all smiles. Those gals were some of the most cutthroat players to ever play the game, I remember watching that play out and screaming at the TV "what are you doing!!!" If you want to see how to play idols and advantages in a game last season's winner Ben probably did it better than anyone has which was never tell anyone you have one because the less people know the more effective the advantages are when you use them.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I think it's going to be a good season. Really like the twist of bringing back the blunders. I agree about Erik but the Gravedigger going home with TWO immunity idols in his pocket was pretty bad. And I know my wife would be fine if they brought him back to play again.

Still getting to know the players this season. The first episode even though it was 2 hours really put the focus on a small handful of players.

• Agree
Reactions: CYdTracked

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
I enjoyed the first episode. I thought it was going to be too complicated with all the new twists, but it wasn't too bad.

This will always be my favorite Survivor tribal. Sugar can barely keep a straight face...

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
I enjoyed the first episode. I thought it was going to be too complicated with all the new twists, but it wasn't too bad.

This will always be my favorite Survivor tribal. Sugar can barely keep a straight face...

Loved me some Sugar. And Corinne is still the single biggest ***** to ever play the game.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
LOL, Sugar and Randy, I had forgot about that one but that was a good season. Gravedigger is right up there getting voted out with 2 idols but I can't put him there with Erik who GAVE AWAY his immunity that he had won in a challenge instead of going home with one in his pocket like many others have. As far as gameplay goes last season probably had some of the best blindsides of any season I thought and a few of those tribals were mass chaos where people started whispering to each other before the vote.

I still kind of wish they'd bring back some of the old school Survivor things from time to time like the eating challenges with the gross items, exile island, and of course the car challenge that was probably the biggest curse of anything in the show's history to win. I wasn't a big fan of redemption island but I could live with re-inserting it for a season when they do an all-star season again. That's what is crazy about this show is that this is season 36 and they keep finding a way to keep it fresh by adding new twists while occasionally sprinkling in some things from past seasons.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
LOL, Sugar and Randy, I had forgot about that one but that was a good season. Gravedigger is right up there getting voted out with 2 idols but I can't put him there with Erik who GAVE AWAY his immunity that he had won in a challenge instead of going home with one in his pocket like many others have. As far as gameplay goes last season probably had some of the best blindsides of any season I thought and a few of those tribals were mass chaos where people started whispering to each other before the vote.

I still kind of wish they'd bring back some of the old school Survivor things from time to time like the eating challenges with the gross items, exile island, and of course the car challenge that was probably the biggest curse of anything in the show's history to win. I wasn't a big fan of redemption island but I could live with re-inserting it for a season when they do an all-star season again. That's what is crazy about this show is that this is season 36 and they keep finding a way to keep it fresh by adding new twists while occasionally sprinkling in some things from past seasons.

Exactly, but at the same time they don't overdo it. Would love it if they brought the gross eating challenge. I also can't remember if they've stopped doing the auction in recent seasons.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I think it's going to be a good season. Really like the twist of bringing back the blunders. I agree about Erik but the Gravedigger going home with TWO immunity idols in his pocket was pretty bad. And I know my wife would be fine if they brought him back to play again.

Still getting to know the players this season. The first episode even though it was 2 hours really put the focus on a small handful of players.
James.
I was so PISSED at him for letting Parvati p-whip him like that. But yeah, he was definitely easy on the eyes.

VikesFan22

Nov 9, 2011
Ames, IA
Exactly, but at the same time they don't overdo it. Would love it if they brought the gross eating challenge. I also can't remember if they've stopped doing the auction in recent seasons.
They've done the auction somewhat recently. 3 years ago or so.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA
I like the idea this season. For being a superfan Jacob did a pretty good job of making himself a target right off the bat. Casting did a good job on the eye candy for this season.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
He reminded me of Seth Rohan high trying to play survivor. This season has potential. I think survivor all boils down the game play now and not huge personalities.

• Agree

Clones32

Mar 5, 2013
It was a fun first episode, really like the cast especially when compared to last season. The tribe divisions didn't make a lot of sense tho. You put the 2 weakest guys (Donathan and Jacob) on the same tribe plus the 2 Key West dudes (Sea Bass and Chris) on the same tribe and no wonder that one tribe dominated both of the team challenges, but they're doing a swap next week so it doesn't really matter.

Reactions: Knownothing

flynnhicks03

The Man That You Love to Hate
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
www.mapcon.com
Was Bob the first one to make a fake idol?

Yes, I think he was. That whole scene is fantastic. Sugar and the other lady trying to hold in their laughter; Bob keeping a straight face the whole time; Randy and the other gal next to him feeling so cocky and smiling at the jury because he played the idol.

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Anyone else having trouble getting to know the cast this year. Except for a few people they are focusing on, which normally means those people are going to last a long time. I am having trouble following who is in an alliance and who came from what tribe. I hate early merges. It really takes game play out of it and makes it more of a luck game like Big Brother.

Plus, Ghost Island needs to have a game every time. Even if it's set up to not win anything.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
Anyone else having trouble getting to know the cast this year. Except for a few people they are focusing on, which normally means those people are going to last a long time. I am having trouble following who is in an alliance and who came from what tribe. I hate early merges. It really takes game play out of it and makes it more of a luck game like Big Brother.

Plus, Ghost Island needs to have a game every time. Even if it's set up to not win anything.
We had problems with that on this episode. I had to look up the wiki to figure out who all the blonds were, and I still don't know why she was pissed at the young one. I can't figure out who flipped on who. I need several episodes to figure everyone out before they do a complete switchup!

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Kind of been a "blah" season so far but I think once they merge and it turns into more of an individual games there are enough things simmering in the background right now to make things interesting. Obviously Chris and Dom is going to boil over at some point and Angela seems a little jaded about her alliance turning on each other awhile back too so there are cracks that could eventually falter. The one thing I am wondering is why hasn't anyone who has been sent to Ghost Island tried looking for a hidden immunity idol? Knowing the history of Survivor you would think that one might be hidden somewhere there even if you don't get to play the game during your visit. Wouldn't be shocked if it's something right at the campsite staring them in the face that they just haven't noticed yet. Probably some idols or advantages to be found around all 3 camps right now too, this close to the merge and with numbers all in favor for Naviti on the 3 tribes you'd think the Malolo people would be searching for those any chance they got.

Probably one of the most attractive females in the cast got voted off the other week in Stephanie which was a shame because I think if she had made the merge she was one of the players who may have played a good individual game.

Chris, Bradley, and Kellyn probably annoy me the most. Chris sure thinks a lot of himself and isn't shy about bragging and talking himself up. Bradley thinks he's in control and comes off snobby to me, he made some comment last night about how he felt comfortable and in control right now and seems like just when you think that is when you should be worried about being blindsided. Kellyn, don't know what it is about her I don't like to be honest but I hate listening to her talk strategy for some reason. Just seems like she might be one of those that will wind up riding someone's coattail deep into the game.

I guess if I had to pick people I hope go far, Dom, Wendell, Angela, and Michael are ones I think are playing fairly well rounded games that probably can work their way through a merge and the individual game.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Kind of been a "blah" season so far but I think once they merge and it turns into more of an individual games there are enough things simmering in the background right now to make things interesting. Obviously Chris and Dom is going to boil over at some point and Angela seems a little jaded about her alliance turning on each other awhile back too so there are cracks that could eventually falter. The one thing I am wondering is why hasn't anyone who has been sent to Ghost Island tried looking for a hidden immunity idol? Knowing the history of Survivor you would think that one might be hidden somewhere there even if you don't get to play the game during your visit. Wouldn't be shocked if it's something right at the campsite staring them in the face that they just haven't noticed yet. Probably some idols or advantages to be found around all 3 camps right now too, this close to the merge and with numbers all in favor for Naviti on the 3 tribes you'd think the Malolo people would be searching for those any chance they got.

Probably one of the most attractive females in the cast got voted off the other week in Stephanie which was a shame because I think if she had made the merge she was one of the players who may have played a good individual game.

Chris, Bradley, and Kellyn probably annoy me the most. Chris sure thinks a lot of himself and isn't shy about bragging and talking himself up. Bradley thinks he's in control and comes off snobby to me, he made some comment last night about how he felt comfortable and in control right now and seems like just when you think that is when you should be worried about being blindsided. Kellyn, don't know what it is about her I don't like to be honest but I hate listening to her talk strategy for some reason. Just seems like she might be one of those that will wind up riding someone's coattail deep into the game.

I guess if I had to pick people I hope go far, Dom, Wendell, Angela, and Michael are ones I think are playing fairly well rounded games that probably can work their way through a merge and the individual game.

This would be my nightmare final 3. Add in Desiree and I'd probably stop watching.

• Agree

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Ghost Island has failed on so many levels. I am talking about the actual island and not this season. What is the point of it. First off more than not there has not been a chance for someone to win something. The one time the guy went for it, he ended up winning an advantage for someone else to use. They should at least have them play the game every time even if both boxes are empty. You can at least tempt them and make that a point of the show.

Ben last season was a strong player who was great. However, the strong players this year are all kind of deuchey type people so the people I like kind of don't do stuff anyway.

The blind sides have not even been worthy of getting excited about. My daughter and I watched last night and the guy that they blindsided was a guy that my daughter forgot was even playing the game until this episode. She said during the episode "That guy is getting voted off". I ask why she though that. She said "Because they ignored him for the past 5 weeks and now the episode keeps interviewing him".

Sure enough he got the boot.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
Ghost Island has failed on so many levels. I am talking about the actual island and not this season. What is the point of it. First off more than not there has not been a chance for someone to win something. The one time the guy went for it, he ended up winning an advantage for someone else to use. They should at least have them play the game every time even if both boxes are empty. You can at least tempt them and make that a point of the show.

Ben last season was a strong player who was great. However, the strong players this year are all kind of deuchey type people so the people I like kind of don't do stuff anyway.

The blind sides have not even been worthy of getting excited about. My daughter and I watched last night and the guy that they blindsided was a guy that my daughter forgot was even playing the game until this episode. She said during the episode "That guy is getting voted off". I ask why she though that. She said "Because they ignored him for the past 5 weeks and now the episode keeps interviewing him".

Sure enough he got the boot.

I laughed last night when James said "great blindside guys." Really? You thought that was a blindside? You knew there was a good chance 3 votes were going your way that night so that wasn't a blindside. A blindside is when someone had no idea at all their name was being discussed or someone flips on their alliance as the swing vote.

I think maybe part of the reason why this season has not been so entertaining is the average age of this cast is mostly in their mid to late 20's. The oldest player was 42 I think and only like 6 or 7 of them were over the age of 30 I think. There isn't much of a generation gap that there usually is in most casts so that may be why we haven't seen as much strategy and conflicts play out yet.