Surly

Walden4Prez

Jul 8, 2014
For the love of all that's good and holy, get to Steel Toe. Probably my favorite Twin Cities brewery.

Surly is awesome, and has great food, but Steel Toe still has that intimate tap room feel. Fair State is also a good spot, although almost comically hipster. Dangerous Man is very good, but a little overrated in my eyes. Bauhaus does really good lagers if you're looking for something on that front.

That is a good description of Minneapolis as a whole.

cycloneG

Mar 7, 2007
Off the grid
Heading up to Minneapolis today and plan on checking out the Surly Beer Hall. Also plan on visiting Dangerous Man and The Happy Gnome. I've visited Town Hall and Republic before so I thought I'd try something new.

I'm a big dangerous man fan. Small but great beer.

huntt26

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
po' dUnk
Anybody seen Blakkr in the stores? I've seen it on tap, but not on the shelves yet.

Pretty sure there is Blakkr available in my local hyvee in Cedar Rapids, but it is last year's release.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
For the love of all that's good and holy, get to Steel Toe. Probably my favorite Twin Cities brewery.

Surly is awesome, and has great food, but Steel Toe still has that intimate tap room feel. Fair State is also a good spot, although almost comically hipster. Dangerous Man is very good, but a little overrated in my eyes. Bauhaus does really good lagers if you're looking for something on that front.

Most of Steel Toe's beer taste like they can be sampled at Rock Bottom.

Flat Earth is easily the coolest brewery in the cities. They still have all you can drink free beer in the tasting room, the people are the best and it's in the old Hamms Brewery. If you haven't been there yet, you are an amateur.

dcxme1183

Jan 31, 2010
Minneapolis

Flat Earth is easily the coolest brewery in the cities. They still have all you can drink free beer in the tasting room, the people are the best and it's in the old Hamms Brewery. If you haven't been there yet, you are an amateur.

Steel Toe has multiple medals from GABF and the World Beer Cup. As a brewer at a different brewery here in the cities, I can tell you a lot of other brewers here have a ton of respect for what Jason and his staff are doing in St Louis Park. If you don't like the beers, that's totally fine--not everybody has to like everything--but I think it's a little silly to dismiss what world-class judges with discerning palates consider to be excellent beers.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
Steel Toe has multiple medals from GABF and the World Beer Cup. As a brewer at a different brewery here in the cities, I can tell you a lot of other brewers here have a ton of respect for what Jason and his staff are doing in St Louis Park. If you don't like the beers, that's totally fine--not everybody has to like everything--but I think it's a little silly to dismiss what world-class judges with discerning palates consider to be excellent beers.

I always grab a bottle or two of Size 7 when I'm in town. Steel Toe is no Surly, it's close to where I stay in Edina and it's way less crowded than other places, so I'll continue to go.

baller21

Mar 15, 2009
Had my first Todd The Axe Man last night at Bait Shop. I will definitely be drinking more.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Surly was very cool but also Very busy. I'm not good at estimating crowds but I'd guess over a thousand and standing room only. I didn't really love anything I had from dangerous man do I went over to indeed and had a few there as well. The best beer I had all weekend was lift Bridge batch 1300

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
If you're in the cities, check out big wood in white bear. Good beer and awesome people. Their morning wood is delicious, as is the bark bite.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site

My opinion of Flat Earth is the same as your opinion of Steel Toe.

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
My opinion of Flat Earth is the same as your opinion of Steel Toe.

I didn't say it was the best beer, but I do I think it's the best brewery to visit. The NW Passage is tough though.

Surly sets the standard for TC beer. The new brewery is a zoo most of the time.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
Indeed, Dangerous Man, and Surly.
attachment.php
attachment.php
attachment.php

Attachments

• Indeed.jpg
    Indeed.jpg
    94.5 KB · Views: 59
  • Dangerous.jpg
    Dangerous.jpg