Surly in 3, 2, 1……

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames
Nowell is my favorite non ISU player, he was incredible. Great win for k State, hope they keep it up.
Nowell was incredible. I am pulling for K State more than any other Big XII team and have since the beginning of the tournament outside of ISU. Land grant ag school, public school, a smaller fish in the big pond, a long-time colleague for every conference we've been in. They are more like us than any of these Texas schools or worse, the Texas private schools like TCU and Baylor. Glad they got to beat a blue blood and SEC school to get to the Sweet Sixteen as well or else we would have heard more about how great the SEC was in hoops this year.

I will be happy if Texas loses, K-State continues to advance and Houston does well. We're now at that point with Houston joining next year that we want a school like that to also help raise the bar and increase league notoriety.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
9306528.gif

I'm flattered for your positive comments about K-State. Thank you.

We all know the tournament is mostly about matchups and guard play. Both have favored K-State to this point in time while working against others, particularly TCU who I hated see go down last night to the Zags.

B12 team losses exposed our weaknesses, didn't they. ISU without Grill couldn't throw in the ocean off a pier. Ku's short bench exposed. TCU's soft inside without Lampkin. Baylor's general defenselessness.

But to my mind, it's still very much about the luck of the draw. The Sweet 16 though, that's going to be about who brings it. We'll see later this week.

Most astonishing scene over the weekend was this Missouri landmark aglow in purple last night.

Marcelason78

Mar 4, 2022
9306528.gif

I'm flattered for your positive comments about K-State. Thank you.

We all know the tournament is mostly about matchups and guard play. Both have favored K-State to this point in time while working against others, particularly TCU who I hated see go down last night to the Zags.

B12 team losses exposed our weaknesses, didn't they. ISU without Grill couldn't throw in the ocean off a pier. Ku's short bench exposed. TCU's soft inside without Lampkin. Baylor's general defenselessness.

But to my mind, it's still very much about the luck of the draw. The Sweet 16 though, that's going to be about who brings it. We'll see later this week.

Most astonishing scene over the weekend was this Missouri landmark aglow in purple last night.

KU’s bench was an issue. No Self.
Don’t think TCU lost because of Lampkin’s absence.
Baylor lost because their frosh stud was a no show.

Agree on the matchups. I like Kstate’s draw with the over rated Spartans.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
KU’s bench was an issue. No Self.
Don’t think TCU lost because of Lampkin’s absence.
Baylor lost because their frosh stud was a no show.

Agree on the matchups. I like Kstate’s draw with the over rated Spartans.
Timme owned the Frogs. Then that opened up a lot of good 3 point looks because they started throwing more attention at him. Would've been interesting to see if Lampkin could've slowed him down on his own

Reactions: clonehome

loyalsons4evertrue

Sep 18, 2020
I'd like K-State to go far, but lose in a championship game, against maybe a Big East team.....K-State would get to claim their first ever team national title and they would never stop talking about it....Texas winning gets us more money still, so eh whatever if they win

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I'd like K-State to go far, but lose in a championship game, against maybe a Big East team.....K-State would get to claim their first ever team national title and they would never stop talking about it....Texas winning gets us more money still, so eh whatever if they win
UConn is favored by a lot of experts.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Nowell was incredible. I am pulling for K State more than any other Big XII team and have since the beginning of the tournament outside of ISU. Land grant ag school, public school, a smaller fish in the big pond, a long-time colleague for every conference we've been in. They are more like us than any of these Texas schools or worse, the Texas private schools like TCU and Baylor. Glad they got to beat a blue blood and SEC school to get to the Sweet Sixteen as well or else we would have heard more about how great the SEC was in hoops this year.

I will be happy if Texas loses, K-State continues to advance and Houston does well. We're now at that point with Houston joining next year that we want a school like that to also help raise the bar and increase league notoriety.
I've got no problem rooting for KSU now that they are in (and doing well) and we are out. I will root for the Big 12 every time (cough, gag, even texas)! And yes, we/I can root for Houston, soon to be conference member.

I do think Houston, of the remaining #1's, has the tougher route to the Final 4 than Alabama. Quite a few bracket busters so far, especially with two #1's going down so soon.

DrShip

Dec 30, 2013
Rio, WI
Can cheer for K-State, even though they're a rival. I don't hate them like I do Iowa, just enjoy beating them more than other teams.

Don't care about the money, Texas can eat a satchel of richards.

Mostly pulling for Houston and UConn at this point.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
My E8:

Bama/Creighton
K-State/Tennessee
Texas/Houston
Gonzaga/UConn

Thursday, March 23 (Sweet 16)

No. 3 Kansas State vs. No. 7 Michigan State | 6:30 p.m. | TBS
No. 4 UConn vs. No. 8 Arkansas | 7:15 p.m. | CBS
No. 4 Tennessee vs. No. 9 Florida Atlantic | 9 p.m. | TBS
No. 2 UCLA vs. No. 3 Gonzaga | 9:45 p.m. | CBS

Friday, March 24 (Sweet 16)

No. 1 Alabama vs. No. 5 San Diego State | 6:30 p.m. | TBS
No. 1 Houston vs. No. 5 Miami | 7:15 p.m. | CBS
No. 6 Creighton vs. No. 15 Princeton | 9 p.m. | TBS
No. 2 Texas vs. No. 3 Xavier | 9:45 p.m. | CBS

Antihawk240

May 17, 2012
"I always root for Kstate except when they play Iowa State." :mccaffery: Sound familiar?

Serious, Go K State! I have entered the mode of cheering for any remaining Big 12 team. Once that changes I will transition to cheering against the Big 10, then ultimately end up with me cheering for the nearest to me Midwest Team.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I was rather shocked how ISU fans were cheering K-State during the UK game. Farmaggedon has become a real rivalry between respected foes, unlike Ku. Not Army/Navy but closer to that than Auburn/Alabama.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
I like Nowell a lot as a player and I don't like Izzo so I hope KSU wins this one but I will rooting for them to lose against Tennessee.

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I was rather shocked how ISU fans were cheering K-State during the UK game. Farmaggedon has become a real rivalry between respected foes, unlike Ku. Not Army/Navy but closer to that than Auburn/Alabama.
I think football between the two is a lot more contentious. Basketball I don’t mind K State AS MUCH. Still don’t want to see you guys win a national championship in anything just like I would never expect a K State fan to be ok with ISU winning a major national championship.

So in the NCAA Tournament I want K State to do just well enough to bring respect to the Big 12. Football I cheer for whoever is playing K State unless they play Iowa lol.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
I can generally watch ISU without stress. The outcome either way doesn't bring cheers or tears. With Ku though, I want them to lose at every level, same for Missouri and Nebraska.

Reactions: dafarmer

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
The Tournament is so unpredictable and this year there is no dominant team or two. K St’s two good players are undersized at their positions but is made up by their quickness & offensive skill. Never underestimate Izzo but this is not his usual arsenal. Tang is proving himself & I will predict that Nowell will continue to show off his elite talent. Kats 67 Izzos 63

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
The Tournament is so unpredictable and this year there is no dominant team or two. K St’s two good players are undersized at their positions but is made up by their quickness & offensive skill. Never underestimate Izzo but this is not his usual arsenal. Tang is proving himself & I will predict that Nowell will continue to show off his elite talent. Kats 67 Izzos 63
Interesting as I have put the over/under at 130. This will be a rock fight most likely, half-court, Izzo'ized game. Markquis will be the smallest with the biggest heart, for sure. But he'll be playing against another NYC guard, Tyson Walker, who he went up against much of his childhood in Harlem. The game within the game.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
It is always nice to say you split games with a National Champion, but they can lose in the final 4, along with Texa$.

• Love
Reactions: surly

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron