Surly I assume it’s time to rank the league this morning

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
You boys are getting less predictable. But sure, I'll bite on the power rank bait.

BU - but I don't believe they're #1 nationally
Ku - NCAA should be ruling soon

TxT - big win over eers last night
WVU - missing quality guards

The other six are impossible to power rank for any good reason. They're all bad basketball teams. But if I have to rank them just throwing darts.

OU - softer than one of those pillow guy products
Texas - talent can't overcome smart
TCU - Bane overcomes Jamie now and then
K-State - Weber coaching not enough
ISU - implosion
oSu - calamity

Last edited:

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
You boys are getting less predictable. But sure, I'll bite on the power rank bait.

BU - but I don't believe they're #1 nationally
Ku - NCAA should be ruling soon

TxT - big win over eers last night
WVU - missing quality guards

The other six are impossible to power rank for any good reason. They're all bad basketball teams. But if I have to rank them just throwing darts.

OU - softer than one of those pillow guy products
Texas - talent can't overcome smart
TCU - Bane overcomes Jamie now and then
K-State - Weber coaching not enough
ISU - implosion
oSu - calamity
In the time I was going to respond, you just changed Weber coaching his ass off to Weber coaching not enough.

Good Lord Surly.

LeaningCy

Jan 18, 2008
Just wondering if we should consider:

where they started, the quality of their programs and student-athlete, extenuating circumstances, not just their record

like we did for previous surly rankings.

Please advise.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Just wondering if we should consider:

like we did for previous surly rankings.

Please advise.

You'd have to give me the context of that remark? I'd say if you're ranking coaching performance presently that criteria makes sense. Ranking coaches is always difficult but here's taking a shot based solely on this year's performance:

Scott Drew continues to coach at a high level, nothing new
Bob Huggins from the bottom to upper tier in one year
Chris Beard cobbles together talented rosters
Bill Self maintains his Adidas advantage
Jamie Dixon has a competitive Frog outfit
Bruce Weber missed badly on two recruiting classes
Lon Kruger's teams are just pillow-soft
Steve Prohm does everything right except win
Mike Boyton hasn't moved the needle
Shaka Smart horrible given the talent he's recruited

2019-20 Big 12 Preseason Poll
Team (First Place Votes) Pts
1. Kansas (8) 80
2. Baylor (1) 71
3. Texas Tech (1) 62
4. Texas 57
5. West Virginia 45
6. Oklahoma State 42
7. Iowa State 30
8. Oklahoma 29
9. Kansas State 23
10. TCU 11

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You'd have to give me the context of that remark? I'd say if you're ranking coaching performance presently that criteria makes sense. Ranking coaches is always difficult but here's taking a shot based solely on this year's performance:

Scott Drew continues to coach at a high level, nothing new
Bob Huggins from the bottom to upper tier in one year
Chris Beard cobbles together talented rosters
Bill Self maintains his Adidas advantage
Jamie Dixon has a competitive Frog outfit
Bruce Weber missed badly on two recruiting classes
Lon Kruger's teams are just pillow-soft
Steve Prohm does everything right except win
Mike Boyton hasn't moved the needle
Shaka Smart horrible given the talent he's recruited

2019-20 Big 12 Preseason Poll
Team (First Place Votes) Pts
1. Kansas (8) 80
2. Baylor (1) 71
3. Texas Tech (1) 62
4. Texas 57
5. West Virginia 45
6. Oklahoma State 42
7. Iowa State 30
8. Oklahoma 29
9. Kansas State 23
10. TCU 11

Not sure what "everything right" means, with our problems running an offense, managing a roster, and well, everything.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I don't believe there's any program that isn't cheating.
Recruiting well would seem to have left a better-constructed roster than our disaster.
Face/decorum: meh
There are different forms and degrees of cheating. Kentucky, Duke, and Kansas pay their players outright cash. Schools like Iowa State don't have the funds to be able to do such things, so they do it in ways that although are probably illegal by book, they wouldn't warrant anything other than a slap on the wrist.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
There's this unlying current of discussion that ISU cheats. That's new to me. I don't believe K-State cheats, although Snyder had some difficulties with 'boosters' and Frank Martin clearly cheated but was sent packing as a result. So, why are you guys suggesting ISU cheats?

• Agree
Reactions: isutrevman

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
There's this unlying current of discussion that ISU cheats. That's new to me. I don't believe K-State cheats, although Snyder had some difficulties with 'boosters' and Frank Martin clearly cheated but was sent packing as a result. So, why are you guys suggesting ISU cheats?

It's not an underlying discussion. It's simply my personal assumption that nobody in this corrupt game is clean.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Get it thru your head, Martin quit, he wasnt fired. Dont care about the behind the scenes stuff, that's not how history will forever show it.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
"Cheating" is a pretty vague term. Cheating could mean giving a recruit an extra meal, texting or calling a recruit when you aren't suppose to, giving a player more tickets to games than they're supposed to, etc. Those are the things the smaller schools do. I can guarantee you that K-State doesn't do everything by the book. The NCAA is dumb. Their rules are dumb.

surly

May 16, 2013
reservation lake, mn
Get it thru your head, Martin quit, he wasnt fired. Dont care about the behind the scenes stuff, that's not how history will forever show it.
Frank Martin came to K-State with the USC,e deal and asked John Currie to meet it. Currie said 'no.' Now, you can frame that set of facts however you choose.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron