Suggestion for SportsTalkMatt

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
I don't hear Gomer Pyle, excuse me Gary Barta on KXnO very much either. Why is that?

Cause he doesn't come on our shows. Heck, Ferentz doesn't do a lot of in-state interviews but he did my Omaha show about 3x a season.

You lost me on this answer. What does that supposed to mean? Barta doesn't come on your shows, and neither does Pollard. Yet you blast Pollard for not coming on your show but not Barta?

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
Actually, it is a legitimate question, rdubbs. Last year, in Year 3 of McDermott, Both the afternoon and morning shows at KXNO were wanting Pollard on to talk about the season and the direction of the program.

I sort of expected they would do the same thing in Year 3 of Lickliter in trying to get Barta on to talk about the season and the direction of the program.

So far, Barta hasn't been on. There could be a lot of reasons why, such as:

1. KXNO personnel has never asked Barta to be on. If that is the case, why not?

2. KXNO personnel has asked Barta to be on, but he as refused. If that is the case, then why not state that every time like they do with Pollard?

The main difference could be that Pollard gave McDermott a contract extension -- Barta hasn't given one to Lickliter.

Still, Iowa's MBB program has tanked big time (and ISU's program is not that far behind). I would think that J. Miller, more than anyone, would want Barta on to ask him the same tough questions he, Deace, Matt and Miller want to ask Pollard.

We're talking about Pollard in this thread yet the focus goes to Iowa? I'm not sure what the point is about Barta nor Pollard going on their show (except it's consistent)

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
Unless there is a pressing issue in the athletic department, Pollard doesn't need to give the "talk show hosts" any of his time that he doesn't see fit.

THIS IS THE RIGHT ANSWER!:notworthy:

Of course, there could be some dispute on what exactly is a "pressing issue". For Pollard, bringing McDermott back next year wasn't a pressing issue in his book. For Matt and Miller, Miller and Deace, it is.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Unless there is a pressing issue in the athletic department, Pollard doesn't need to give the "talk show hosts" any of his time that he doesn't see fit.

Irony: the most sensible thing said in either this thread or the other one coming from an Iowa fan...

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
What does Pollard gain from coming on Matt & Miller's show and subjecting himself to the slanderous nature of those two? Does he really need to sit through 15 minutes of Perault asking him pointed questions from an uninformed persepctive and then not giving him an opportunity to answer like he does with other guests?

Continue to take the high road JP. No need to lower yourself to those standards.

Reactions: DaddyMac

Cyrocks

Mar 12, 2009
We're talking about Pollard in this thread yet the focus goes to Iowa? I'm not sure what the point is about Barta nor Pollard going on their show (except it's consistent)

The point is, rdubbs, is that Matt and Miller rake Pollard over the coals for not being on their show, yet they don't Barta (see my previous post).

It is not consistent criticism.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
THIS IS THE RIGHT ANSWER!:notworthy:

Of course, there could be some dispute on what exactly is a "pressing issue". For Pollard, bringing McDermott back next year wasn't a pressing issue in his book. For Matt and Miller, Miller and Deace, it is.

Correct. Now if Pollard had fired McDermott, than I would have thought that the day of, or after, that Pollard would have been a guest to explain the firing and to talk about the search for a new coach. I'm sorry but right now the only story in Iowa State athletics is

1) The Men's Big 12 Tournament Opening Round Game
2) The Women's Big 12 Tournament Opening Round Game

There really is no other story but those two.

rdubbs

Feb 12, 2009
Central Iowa
The point is, rdubbs, is that Matt and Miller rake Pollard over the coals for not being on their show, yet they don't Barta (see my previous post).

It is not consistent criticism.

I can't say if they do or don't (I made the switch to my Ipod on my drive home) what I'm saying is if the afternoon show is ripping on Pollard they shouldn't be shocked when their calls go straight to his voicemail.

aauummm

April is International Guitar Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Correct. Now if Pollard had fired McDermott, than I would have thought that the day of, or after, that Pollard would have been a guest to explain the firing and to talk about the search for a new coach. I'm sorry but right now the only story in Iowa State athletics is

1) The Men's Big 12 Tournament Opening Round Game
2) The Women's Big 12 Tournament Opening Round Game

There really is no other story but those two.
Yep, gotta agree with you there!

CylentButDeadly

May 1, 2009
Windsor Heights, IA
I can't say if they do or don't (I made the switch to my Ipod on my drive home) what I'm saying is if the afternoon show is ripping on Pollard they shouldn't be shocked when their calls go straight to his voicemail.

I'm guessing this is an endless loop of In Heaven There Is No Beer and the Dirty Dancing sountrack.

tazclone

Apr 14, 2006
This. I have lived in a lot of places and listened to a lot of sports talk radio and very rarely here of athletic directors going on radio shows. It just doesn't happen. Maybe Matt can answer but how many times did Pederson and Osborne come on his show in Omaha not in a press conference situation?

There is nothing to gain by going on the show.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron