SUCKTEMBER: Matt Campbell Teams not ready to start the season.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
What happened to Youngstown? I thought they used to be a power

They sure were. Hiring Bo Pelini who had no interest in actually recruiting and following him with a high school coach pretty much killed that program. Now they're a bottom of the league budget and would probably take an invite to leave the Valley if they could find one.

• Informative
Reactions: CloneGuy8

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
Worse than UNI and non P5? This seems unlikely. I suppose you can offer that Iowa is better than anyone in our league but I'll let others that hate Iowa more have that one!
Yea I definitely have no explanation for our week 1s. Those are absolutely horrendous. Not sure how bad SE Missouri is, but they will give us fits next year I’m sure.

awd4cy

Dec 29, 2010
Central Iowa
They sure were. Hiring Bo Pelini who had no interest in actually recruiting and following him with a high school coach pretty much killed that program. Now they're a bottom of the league budget and would probably take an invite to leave the Valley if they could find one.
What happened to uni? Couldn’t even play South Dakota tough?

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
What happened to uni? Couldn’t even play South Dakota tough?

Just doing what UNI does now. Play great in September, somehow end up 3-4 because reasons and then win out to sneak into the playoffs where they drill a terrible team in the first round before losing to one of the Dakotas in the round of 16.

Though, to be faaaaaaiiiiir, South Dakota has turned a corner and they're really getting good because $$$$$$$$$.

yoteforever

Dec 24, 2008
Now that we’re in to Brocktober I think it’s a good time to reflect on another ISU football tradition: SUCKtember.

There is no good explanation for our struggles other than a lack of preparation and the failure of the coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments to JUST WIN. “The process” shouldn’t include throwing away games with inexplicable errors, playing in a way that doesn’t mesh with what we do the rest of the season.

Sucktember shouldn’t be an open audition for special teams. It shouldn’t be a time to “get our feet under us”. It shouldn’t be a time to just try to keep things close and hopefully be close enough at the end to pull out a game we’ve been getting beat down in for 3 1/2 Quarters.

If we struggle against cupcakes, and we get stomped by Iowa again next season, serious questions will have to be asked and changes will have to be made. Specifically moving on from Tom Manning and going out and getting a special teams coach that can not only coach special teams well, but also go out on the trail and get guys that can kick the ball off successfully and punt the ball successfully.

No more wasted seasons and wasted games.
Now that we’re in to Brocktober I think it’s a good time to reflect on another ISU football tradition: SUCKtember.

There is no good explanation for our struggles other than a lack of preparation and the failure of the coaching staff to make the necessary adjustments to JUST WIN. “The process” shouldn’t include throwing away games with inexplicable errors, playing in a way that doesn’t mesh with what we do the rest of the season.

Sucktember shouldn’t be an open audition for special teams. It shouldn’t be a time to “get our feet under us”. It shouldn’t be a time to just try to keep things close and hopefully be close enough at the end to pull out a game we’ve been getting beat down in for 3 1/2 Quarters.

If we struggle against cupcakes, and we get stomped by Iowa again next season, serious questions will have to be asked and changes will have to be made. Specifically moving on from Tom Manning and going out and getting a special teams coach that can not only coach special teams well, but also go out on the trail and get guys that can kick the ball off successfully and punt the ball successfully.

‘Gunner you have to be one of the smartest guys on earth. You’re literally an expert on so many topics. From politics ( where you’re a genius ) to football. I could only hope to be half as wise as you. If the country had more Gunners and Iowa State had more experts the world would be perfect.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
‘Gunner you have to be one of the smartest guys on earth. You’re literally an expert on so many topics. From politics ( where you’re a genius ) to football. I could only hope to be half as wise as you. If the country had more Gunners and Iowa State had more experts the world would be perfect.

Thank you. That means a lot to me coming from you.

Reactions: cyclonehomer

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
My potential read on it is Campbell and staff are very meticulous. He won’t put any new scheme or play out there until he’s confident at practice the team can run it in their sleep. We haven’t really seen the big changes from year to year – the 3-3-5 defense, the 3 TE sets—until October each season. They seem easy to scout in September.

Then they also are a bit stubborn in wanting to win games lined up head to head, offense vs. defense, with more yards per play. No reliance on trick plays, turnovers, or special teams. At times it seems like they almost prioritize player development over winning. This is great for raising the bar and getting players to reach their potential, but also can be costly.

And I’m not sure how much of it is fixable. The attitude feels like it is to trust the process over the long haul, not take shortcuts to win a specific game. Hard for me to judge that based on the results. I could be way off but this is what I see as a casual fan.

Could be on to something here. I don’t care to dwell on September as there is still a whole lot this team can achieve.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
The easy answer to this is that the coaching staff doesn't care about the non-conference as much as they do about conference games. They use the non-con like NFL preseason, and results are less important than improvement. As several people have stated, it's perfectly legitimate to be upset about how we start, but you won't change their viewpoint.

Fans care more because A) they have unrealistic expectations that we can win every game, which is nearly impossible and B) they have to listen to Iowa fans around them brag about the wins. I don't live in Iowa, so I'm sure that's frustrating, but I will say my life got a lot happier when I quit building a big chunk of my identity around rooting for the Hawkeyes to lose.
Here is a Quote from the Radio...."Kirk Ferentz OWNS Matt Campbell".....It might just BE TIME TO END THE IOWA SERIES IN FOOTBALL.....

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I don't think coach Campbell's teams will ever be good in September and I also think CMC will never ever beat Iowa, we won't ever be good enough in September to beat a good power 5 team like Iowa. Plus, I think culturally, they don't understand or get the rivalry on the same level as McCarney and Rhoads. That is fine though, I have accepted that we won't be good early on. I love having him here and winning 7 plus game a year.
I AGREE Matt Campbell WILL NEVER BEAT KIRK FERENTZ....

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
On the lighter side...

NOTHING will EVER be as BAD as SUCKTEMBER 1994!

09/03/1994: Northern Iowa (1-AA) 28 Iowa State 14 @ Ames

09/10/1994: Iowa (Big 10) 37 Iowa State 09 @ Iowa City

09/17/1994: Western Michigan (MAC) 23 Iowa State 19 @ Ames

09/24/1994: Rice (SWC) 28 Iowa State 18 @ Ames

I was at all four games! On top of the losses, it was hot as a firecracker @ Kinnick, and it rained during the Rice game.

Let's NEVER SUCKTEMBER 1994 again!

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
I was at all 4 of those games too. Brutal. I love watching Troy gets some carries against Rice though. It was the only thing the fans that were there on that rainy day could get excited about. He had 75 yards in the first half and I don't think they barely gave him the ball in the second half.

Reactions: AlaCyclone

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
other schools have the same type of scenarios, but are able to hit the ground running in September. There is an excuse every September. I don't expect to be great every September, but for goodness sakes can we blow out UNI and get a win over Iowa every now and then? Can we look like a team that is locked, loaded, ready to go?
I AGREE but a Win Over Ferentz is not going to happen under CMC....Coach Campbell is NOT a native Iowan so he could care less about BEATING IOWA's A**!!

• Dumb
Reactions: inCyteful

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
I was at all 4 of those games too. Brutal. I love watching Troy gets some carries against Rice though. It was the only thing the fans that were there on that rainy day could get excited about. He had 75 yards in the first half and I don't think they barely gave him the ball in the second half.
Yes, He made nice gains too! Coach Walden was just being stupid, stubborn or foolish about not playing Troy more. I'm sure he had his reasons that made sense to him. Thank Goodness, Coach Mac knew right away, to FEED THE BEAST!