SUCKTEMBER: Matt Campbell Teams not ready to start the season.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
Your post brings up something I should have mentioned. No one should have been creating expectations based on the CoVID year. The media couldn’t help themselves though.
I think expectations should have been tempered due to the weird COVID year for sure. But had ISU had a normal 8-5 type season and brought everyone back like they did it's reasonable to think you house a mid-tier Mo Valley team and probably win at least 1/2 vs. Iowa and Baylor.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
z8xGZE.gif
Except this horse isn't dead. It's a legitimate argument that for some reason people like you try to silence every time it's brought up.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
So a contrarian take:

Every September we play Iowa. Our Big 12 games in September with Campbell as coach have all been road games except 2017 home vs Texas, Jacob Park's final game and 2018 home vs Oklahoma with Zeb Noland (3rd to last game).

2016 @ TCU
2017 vs Texas
2018 vs OU
2018 @ TCU
2019 @ Baylor
2020 @ TCU
2021 @ Baylor

These aren't exactly games we SHOULD be winning. I would expect more than 1 win from those 7 Big 12 games, but it's not as if we're starting off the Big 12 schedule with home games vs Texas Tech.

We suck in the first game of the season, no doubt. And we haven't beaten Iowa. But I would argue that a LOT of what happens in September is the difficulty of the schedule, and SOME of it is a slow start.

Scruff

Mar 11, 2008
Coralville, IA
Yes the Sucktember trend (as its now being called) worries me, but its Brocktober now and I don't want to think about Sucktember again until next year. It was depressing enough live through it, don't need to reflect on it. Nobody quote me until next year, I'm done with this thread. ;)

Reactions: AlaCyclone

RotatingColumn

Oct 21, 2008
Part of the turnovers against Iowa is Manning not putting the offense in a position to have success.

1.) Playing a slow tempo game is EXACTLY what Iowa wants and he gets sucked into it every year.

2.) Keeping Brock chained to the pocket is a huge mistake and he's clearly not comfortable playing that way.

3.) Iowa is not the team we want to run the double TE plus FB stack formations. Every damn offense that has had success against Iowa spreads them out to soften their zone scheme. Don't get me wrong, Iowa has a good defense but the number of TO's they have been gift wrapped this year is insane. If we spread Iowa out and run a fairly quick tempo offense we win that game 7 times out of 10 minimum.

Or keep doing those things and don't turn the ball over.

Last edited:
Reactions: madguy30

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree we should never have to be in a dogfight with UNI, but that is not just a Campbell problem. For about as far back as I can remember we’ve always played UNI closer than I would like, no matter who our coach has been. I don’t know what the answer is for that.

There was a stat thrown out from year to year and UNI has fared well vs. FBS teams for a long time with exception to a handful of games that got out of hand.

CMC isn't the first coach at ISU to come out rough in the first game or so but that tended to mean the rest of the season wasn't going to be much.

The last two games were about where I was hoping ISU would have been in week 1 with what they had coming back. That doesn't mean they beat Iowa or Baylor clearly but the chances are at least higher and it wouldn't have such a WTF feeling afterwards.

Beating OSU tomorrow would make this season feel a whole lot different so let's see where it goes.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The easy answer to this is that the coaching staff doesn't care about the non-conference as much as they do about conference games. They use the non-con like NFL preseason, and results are less important than improvement. As several people have stated, it's perfectly legitimate to be upset about how we start, but you won't change their viewpoint.

Fans care more because A) they have unrealistic expectations that we can win every game, which is nearly impossible and B) they have to listen to Iowa fans around them brag about the wins. I don't live in Iowa, so I'm sure that's frustrating, but I will say my life got a lot happier when I quit building a big chunk of my identity around rooting for the Hawkeyes to lose.

I will never believe they don't care about the non conference especially when they have recruiting battles with a yearly opponent.

That's a bad approach and not fair to the players.

• Optimistic
Reactions: CyBobby

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
If it makes you feel better, Iowa State will absolutely drill SEMO next year.

I'd avoid all MVFC schools not named Indiana State, Western Illinois or Youngstown because they're better than a large majority of the G5 but they don't put me in charge of scheduling like they should...

Playing schools better than most of the G5 while not getting credit for an FBS win is duuuuuuuuuuuuumb.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
Below are the conference records of the greatest coaches in Iowa State football history (excludes ties).

Enough said.

CoachWinsLossesWinning %
Clay Stapleton2243.338
Johnny Majors925.265
Earl Bruce1824.429
Dan McCarney2768.284
Matt Campbell2819.596

If the statistic above isn't convincing enough, here's another statistic to put things into perspective. In the entire history of Iowa State University football, below is a list of all the coaches who managed to beat every conference opponent on their home field:
  1. Matt Campbell
Can we please stop complaining?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Except this horse isn't dead. It's a legitimate argument that for some reason people like you try to silence every time it's brought up.
Oh my god. Because we haven’t talked about it enough? Because we need ANOTHER thread devoted to it?

Reactions: PSYclone22

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
If the statistic above isn't convincing enough, here's another statistic to put things into perspective. In the entire history of Iowa State University football, below is a list of all the coaches who managed to beat every conference opponent on their home field:
  1. Matt Campbell
Can we please stop complaining?
What’s your point? Things could be worse?

Every program in the country (except Lord Saban’s) can say the same thing.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Link me all the relevant threads (that for whatever reason you couldn’t resist opening)?
Ok. Not threads. The sentiment has been broken down and discussed to death in all kinds of threads. You’re the about the only one who doesn’t agree with me.

harimad

Jul 28, 2016
Illinois
Ok. Not threads. The sentiment has been broken down and discussed to death in all kinds of threads. You’re the about the only one who doesn’t agree with me.
I just disagree that the horse is dead when the same GD horse has trampled us every year.

I’m happy with the end of season records, just frustrated that the CFP goal was flushed so quickly this season. Sucktember (thanks for that, btw, @Gunnerclone) is a disturbing trend that hopefully he sticks around to fix.

Reactions: CyBobby

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Well, fans on a message board with unwarranted enthusiasm, overreactions, and expectations that change with the performance of the program. I've seen it all now.

I guess we're officially into the "I trust MC, and I can't believe ISU fans on a message board are acting like every other fanbase for every sport in America" portion of the discussion.

The one thing I will agree with is people being excited for the pistol "offense" when it never was an offense, but just a formation that you run the same the **** out of the shotgun or under center, but you can kind of do it from IN BETWEEN!. It's like being excited for the "shotgun offense" or "under center offense."

Even if you aren't a Cyclone fan, the drastic difference in September to October is interesting on it's own, just because it is so strange.
Few are surprised, but it is stupid. Especially a whole month later. And I wouldn’t mind being a smidge less spoiled than every other fanbase out there. You gotta have more resources than our program has if you want to attract and keep the right people while also calling for their heads because we didn’t win a game by enough. The criticism is fair, but given the overall shape of the program, those who want to turn September into a fireable offense are asinine.

Pope

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 7, 2015
What’s your point? Things could be worse?

Every program in the country (except Lord Saban’s) can say the same thing.
My point is we're incredibly blessed to have unquestionably the greatest coach in the history of our university - probably the most sought after coach in the entire country! To start a thread talking about the "lack of preparation and failure of the coaching staff" is a bit much. I"m not saying Campbell should be immune from criticism, but good Lord have some perspective.

I"m sure I'll get criticized for saying this, but I believe part of why we struggle in September is also a big part of why we're so successful later in the season. Campbell is always coaching with the big picture in mind. For example, Campbell plays far more young players in crucial situations early in the season than any other coach I've seen. While it may hurt us in September, it does wonders for team chemistry and it pays big dividends later in the season.

I get the frustration with our rough starts to the season, but a trademark of Matt Cambell's teams is they ALWAYS improve throughout the season. I'd much rather have our team start slow and finish fast than vice versa. Campbell and his staff are a breath of fresh air in this world that's so obsessed with immediate gratification.

Just my humble opinion.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and JM4CY

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Few are surprised, but it is stupid. Especially a whole month later. And I wouldn’t mind being a smidge less spoiled than every other fanbase out there. You gotta have more resources than our program has if you want to attract and keep the right people while also calling for their heads because we didn’t win a game by enough. The criticism is fair, but given the overall shape of the program, those who want to turn September into a fireable offense are asinine.
Who has ever said that?

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I just disagree that the horse is dead when the same GD horse has trampled us every year.

I’m happy with the end of season records, just frustrated that the CFP goal was flushed so quickly this season. Sucktember (thanks for that, btw, @Gunnerclone) is a disturbing trend that hopefully he sticks around to fix.
Of course it’s still a problem. No one thinks it isn’t a problem. Everyone in the world knows it’s a problem and has given their grievances and takes on it. We don’t need thread for people to piss and moan about the same crap again. There’s a reason Gunners crazy ass was the one to start the thread.