SUBMIT QUESTIONS for the Football Post-Season Mailbag

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
The Holidays can be a very joyous time for some and a complete depression for others. Which brings me to my question for you...what is your happiest memory from a Cyclone athletics standpoint. And what is your worse feeling as a Cyclone fan?

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
1. Sierra Nevada Celebration is not only the best Christmas beer but is right near the top of best beers ever.
Never had it but will have to try. Recently had a Shiner Cheer for the first time, on recommendation from a trusted beer source. Was vastly disappointed and thankful I just did the mix-n-match at Hy-Vee as opposed to buying a whole 6 pack. Tastes good if you like fruity drinks I guess, just didn't really have the "beer" part I was looking for.

StevieISU23

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 31, 2007
Urbandale
Now that the Regular Season is Over (2019-20)-
Who do you miss most from last year(18-19)'s FB team?

I say Peavy- phenomenal tackling corner, with lockdown abilities.
Butler gets some votes too.

What say you?

Last edited:

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Could also answer the burning question on the forums right now:

Is Kansas State our rival?

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
What's the higher priority for football - finding a kicker that can handle kickoffs into the end zone and make up to 45 yard field goals consistently or fixing the defensive schemes to stop third and long?

Reactions: cygrads

spitfyr36

Dec 19, 2011
In the past few years, "traditional powers" seem to have more trouble hiring football coaches. Tennessee had their fiaso a few years ago, now Arkansas and FSU at least appear to be moving beyond their 1st, 2nd, or maybe 3rd choice.

Are we seeing TV money at work? Where "smaller schools" can pay a guy enough that he doesn't jump at the first offer?
Or is this just a few young coaches that like where they're at and see the dysfunction that those other places present?

I think alot of it has to do with stability. High profile jobs canning coaches for not 'meeting expectations' is making them less ideal. Especially if a coach has to rebuild. Not a lot of slack is given when championships are the bare minimum expectation.

Also win 9-10 games at a Ohio State and youre probably looking for a new job, win 9-10 games at a mid tier school and your a messiah

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
I think alot of it has to do with stability. High profile jobs canning coaches for not 'meeting expectations' is making them less ideal. Especially if a coach has to rebuild. Not a lot of slack is given when championships are the bare minimum expectation.

Also win 9-10 games at a Ohio State and youre probably looking for a new job, win 9-10 games at a mid tier school and your a messiah
Hasn't that instability always been there at the big programs though? It feels like something has shifted in the past 5ish years.

A guy like Chris Petersen is another example. Could have left Boise earlier than he did. Now he's retiring, or taking time off.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
Will we start putting more money, time and effort into special teams going forward?

Is it possible to switch from a 3 man front to a 4 man front depending on opponent or even change during a game just to throw offenses a wrinkle or is that too difficult to implement?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
What is the more pathetic segment of their respective fanbases: “Wal-Mart T shirt tavernhok” or “We Are Iowa State/Nut cup/“concerned” about everything ISU fan”?

ISUCubswin

Mar 3, 2011
My Playhouse
What are you more disappointed in, the lack of seeing Re-Al get any meaningful playing time, the lack of the staffs creativity to get Re-Al meaningful playing time, or that Iowa State fans were deprived of watching Lamar Jackson 2.0 run up and down the sidelines because we couldn’t build a sustainable lead against anyone to give Re-Al any time except ULM when he carved up their defense like I did the turkey?

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Who's the guy currently on the team in a "minor" role who makes a the biggest impact next year?
Ramos_Joey_Mug19.jpg