Votes: 51 27.1%
  • Non-Student: Yes

Votes: 63 33.5%
  • Non-Student: No

Votes: 42 22.3%

• Total voters

htownclone

Jan 3, 2007
The think I hated the most about CA when I was a student was that before CA we would be at the games literally hours ahead of time to get front row seats. When CA started, the organizers would ALWAYS take the front row seats and save them for friends, people who were too lazy to get there early.

Now we could sit by the extremely loud band on one end or sit behind the CA organizers who were saving the first few rows. It literally just infuriated(sp?) me every single game watching that happen.

twojman

Jun 1, 2006
Clive
We should do like Indiana and have people find groups of 4 and then they all get the same assigned seats for each game. They are all spread out through out the stadium. One game is assigned for a "courtside" seats.

There used to be something similar to this when I went to ISU. Students were guaranteed at least 3 games in the lower bowl or something like that. Of course that is all gone now because all of those seats go to the big donors.

Flag Guy

Mar 2, 2007
The think I hated the most about CA when I was a student was that before CA we would be at the games literally hours ahead of time to get front row seats. When CA started, the organizers would ALWAYS take the front row seats and save them for friends, people who were too lazy to get there early.

Now we could sit by the extremely loud band on one end or sit behind the CA organizers who were saving the first few rows. It literally just infuriated(sp?) me every single game watching that happen.

You too huh? I dunno about the East side this year - I never sit there (habit from back in the day when the student section was split between CA on the East side and the regular student section on the West side) but it's not as bad this year on the West side... of course thats the side with the pep band you were refering to so it could still be going on.

I know CAC thinks they're doing good things by giving out a laptop and doing all those prizes and games and stuff but really I couldn't care less. The props are nice sometimes but I've thrown out, broken or given away a ton of them and I STILL have a bunch - the novelty wears off after the 1st year.

Last year I was carrying a prop around (from a previous year) and it happened to be the prop that was being handed out that night for the current year. One of the CAC guys asked if I'd already gotten into the prop box!!! ("No, this is last year's")

And of course the shirt thing

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
You should have added more options... if you want it kept, should there be changes or not...

I didn't add a "change" option because it is unlikely that a change will really appease everyone. People are always going to agree or disagree with it for one reason or another. I think the majority of students think its the dumbest thing, and wouldn't be caught dead doing it...

A gross, but maybe a slightly fitting analogy might be your mom dressing you up for school. She gives you the clothes, makes you put them on, drops you off at school, then you are on your own... Sure you aren't being forced to wear the clothes, but what the hell else are you going to do once you're there? I would rather sit in the balcony and barely see the game than be a part of cyclone alley, kinda sad, but thats my choice.

Gordyo5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 3, 2007
Glenwood, Ia
I am a student and I am not a huge fan of CA at all, that being said I do not think it needs to go either. I do not mind sitting up top. I would rather they just split it up and only have CA on one end like they did 2 years ago. It seemed to be the best for both CA and students who did not want to be in CA.

Skyh13

Mar 17, 2006
I think CA is cool, however I agree that other students should at least have a chance to be a part of the action (lower-level) without being required to join CA to do so.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Wow until now I just thought CA was the entire student section...didn't realize there were seperate sections for students...sorry I go to wrestling meets and football...only 3 or 4 bball games and I just got general seating tix for them...

Cydog

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Bettendorf, IA
I hate this too. I've been one of the first students at every game for the last three years. 2 years ago I almost always sat in the second row behind my friend that was on Cyclone Alley central; he didn't save it for me, I just got there early enough to get those seats. Last year I was almost always in the second row except for on a couple occasions: a couple of the games in the Cyclone challenge where I came to watch the first game too so I could actually sit in the front row, and a game against texas tech where the alley people forgot to save their seats. I bet that ticked off their friends :yes:. This year the best I've been able to do is second and third row even though I almost always get there before the doors even open. My best suggestion that people have suggested before on this board: get rid of the committee, charge a little more for tickets and give everyone a t-shirt, then continue to sell the shirts for $10 at the games in case someone uses their friend's ticket. We can live without the props, the road trips, although fun aren't essential. And this way seating can be first come first serve for all students without the separation. I hate looking up and seeing an empty balcony where students are supposed to be. I think this would be a step in the right direction.

CrossCyed

Mar 30, 2006
Part of the problem is that our basketball team has been a pretty constant disappointment. It's a lot tougher to get the bandwagon fan to come see a second or third tier Big 12 team.

ISUboi12

Apr 12, 2006
dsm
crosscyed.. thats a given.

the principle of the matter is that cyclone alley just isn't that popular.. it looks nice on tv... but so does a regular student section.

so far the student votes are 2/3 in favor of it leaving... interesting part is that on a board like this you are more likely to have the "die-hards" who would want to join cyclone alley... I would bet the entire student population and representative body that constitutes potential ticket buyers would happily abdicate cyclone alley.

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
I voted No. Get rid of the shirt requirement and things would be much, much better IMO. You could still say "wear a red shirt" or "wear a gold shirt" to certain games, and that honestly wouldn't be hard for 99% of the student body.

Last year I was in CA and loved it, me and a friend went to every game--lined up outside the North doors of Hilton and rushed down to our seats, usually 2nd row b/c CA had the front row. We were 4th row during the Kansas game. It was awesome being part of that. But there were a few games when my brother wanted to go, and I could get him a ticket but not a shirt so he couldn't go. If he could've worn any red ISU shirt, he would've been able to go to a lot more games.

This year I work in the athletic dept and have the "student athlete pass"--i'm not an athlete--and am supposed to sit in the designated student athlete section (directly behind the band, for anyone who cares). Technically it's still in the student section. I had to pay $15 to be able to sit with my roommates and friends in CA because they can't sit in the student athlete section. We're not as into the rah-rah of it all like last year--the novelty of it seems to wear off, has happened to a lot of my friends also so we sit in the upper rows of the lower level and we cheer and support our Cyclones, but don't really take part in the "festivities" of CA.

It's just frustrating that I have a pass to the game, but have to pay $ just to sit with my friends.

I would vote for:
Getting rid of the committee--most schools don't have one and their cheers/student sections are A-OK!
Getting rid of the required t-shirt altogether, or broadening it out to school colors.

Losing the required t-shirts would probably bring out many more fans.

And don't even get started on why they schedule a Saturday game for 12:30 or 2 weeknight games a week and then complain when students don't show up. Saturdays, most are either hungover, eating lunch at *gasp* lunchtime!, or ahh...that's right, don't have a shirt. Weeknights, we have things known as SI, Night Exams, studying, and other things related to what we are here for--to get an education, or don't have a shirt.

[/soapbox]

Nick

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 28, 2006
I was a student from 02-06, was a die-hard fan going to almost every game, but I never had any desire to join CA so I didn't.

Even when the sides were divided, I felt as if the entire mentality of CA divided the fan base between the so-called "die-hards" and the "rest of the students." I felt as if I was treated as a second-class fan, everything was catered to CA from the free giveaways, the half-time games for CA only, and now the priority seating.

I think CA has pushed fans to the extremities. Fans who are part of CA become even more die-hard (and there's no arguing they volume/cheers add tons to the atmosphere), but in the same way it has marginalized the rest of the students so that they don't even bother coming.

The shirt requirement should be gotten rid of and halftime participation should be opened to the ENTIRE stadium (like the old 5 for 5, when the participants were drawn randomly - my dad still complains about getting rid of this and limiting the halftime contest to CA - after 20+ years as a season ticket holder, he swore he was eventually going to get a chance).

If they want to do free giveaways and such, they should just build that extra cost into the student tickets so that everybody has to pay for it. ALL fans should feel like being at the game is important to the team winning, not just a select few. If there is ownership in the team and a feeling that being at the game can make a difference, then it doesn't matter if we win or lose. I think that's what Hilton Magic really used to be about - win or lose, we knew that as a fan base we could be a part of something bigger and influence the outcome of the game.

Cyclone62

Feb 1, 2007
Oldpeopleville
Like many people, I only joined CA because I don't want to sit in the balcony like I'm a leper of the student section, but last year I was put over the edge with the saving the first rows for CAC only, even if they remained empty until 15 minutes before tip, and I was there 90 minutes before tip. Yea, they organize the whole thing, but if you want to sit there, get there when the doors open, not when the game starts.

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
And don't even get started on why they schedule a Saturday game for 12:30 or 2 weeknight games a week and then complain when students don't show up. Saturdays, most are either hungover, eating lunch at *gasp* lunchtime!, or ahh...that's right, don't have a shirt. Weeknights, we have things known as SI, Night Exams, studying, and other things related to what we are here for--to get an education, or don't have a shirt.

Give me a break. when would you like to schedule the games? only during breaks? btw, i'm a student too.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Like many people, I only joined CA because I don't want to sit in the balcony like I'm a leper of the student section, but last year I was put over the edge with the saving the first rows for CAC only, even if they remained empty until 15 minutes before tip, and I was there 90 minutes before tip. Yea, they organize the whole thing, but if you want to sit there, get there when the doors open, not when the game starts.

Most of the time, those seats for CAC are open because they are busy getting things ready for the game... handing out props, organizing events for the game, etc... not because they are lazy. I've been in CAC and it's a lot of work.

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX
Give me a break. when would you like to schedule the games? only during breaks? btw, i'm a student too.

Ditto!!!!

Saying that 12:30 PM games on a Saturday are too early because you're too hungover or it's during lunchtime, or weeknight games are too hard to get to because you have to eat supper are the LAMEST EXCUSES EVER!!

Every school has these games, deal with it!!!

(I'm also a student..)

clone2011

Dec 11, 2007
Schedule them for mid-afternoon or NIGHTS on the weekends, as in start time between 4 and 7pm. I worded my statement on weeknight games wrong, let me clarify--they should expect lower attendance on weeknights. There are more night classes now than previous years, night exams have become commonplace in quite a few of the 200- and 300- level courses, and students have jobs to help pay for the always rising cost of tuition and tickets.

Not to mention the working people of the state who travel a couple hours for every game and have to be at work at in the morning so they come to all of the weekend games and an occasional weeknight game, if any.

Help Support Us

Become a patron