Streaming Question about Iowa State - Going Forward in a New Conference

Would you pay $20/month or $200 a year for a live sports stream subscription?

• Yes

Votes: 87 65.9%
  • No

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • No, but I'd pay at a lower rate

Votes: 14 10.6%
  • Want it included in my current Netflix/Amazon/Other streaming player rate

Votes: 17 12.9%

• Total voters

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Screw ESPN and Fox. I think we should explore a deal with YouTube, Netflix, Amazon and Peacock for the 2025 rights and beyond.

A lot of people are still relying on cable for their sports consumption. Seem's silly but whatever..

IMO, the most likely outcome for ISU is either an expansion from the 8 leftovers or a merger between the non-elite Pac-12 leftovers from a Big 10/Pac-12 move. If that is the case. I really think we can get more $/year with a stand-alone streaming deal with the providers I referenced above. Curious to discuss as well

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
I said this before, but I'd be willing to pay $20/month each for an all ABC/ESPN1&2 stream and a Fox/FS1&2 stream.

So if I could get a subscription to watch all ISU football and Basketball for $40/month during the season, I'd pay that.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
No idea what to rate of return is for GOR and networks. But you if you got 300K subscriptions, all paying $200 a year for ISU sports. That is $60M/year. Say you pay ISU $40M/year of that $60M. YouTube nets $20M before selling ads during the live broadcast

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
I would pay $20/month easy if I could consolidate everything Iowa State into it.

I agree 100%. Every bar in the state would pay as well. Not just households. Basically a Twitch style streaming package where you pay for what you want.

NFL Red-zone style package for a new Big-12 (whatever named) conference

JHUNSY

Aug 31, 2013
Des Moines, IA
I would pay $20/month easy if I could consolidate everything Iowa State into it.
Consolation into a streaming provider showing every Iowa State/conference game would be a huge win. No more flipping between networks, trying to figure out which network/channel this week’s games are on. No more delay in waiting for tv times with flexible time slots outside of the traditional windows. No more ESPN University, ESPN+, Longhorn bundle add-ons.

It would absolutely be a win, and that to me is well worth a price of $20/Mo. or $200/Yr.

• Dumb
Reactions: I@ST1

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
over the air is how you attract viewers in the long run

so over the air for primetime matchups + streaming option

so youtube + fox or youtube + cbs or youtube + stadium[smaller ota channel]

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
over the air is how you attract viewers in the long run

so over the air for primetime matchups + streaming option

so youtube + fox or youtube + cbs or youtube + stadium[smaller ota channel]

Over the air requires CBS or NBC. Fox is likely to go all-in on a Big-10/Pac-12 deal. ABC has SEC/ACC. I'd love a CBS/Paramount+ or NBC/Peacock deal as they put out a great product for live sports coverage. But no one is mentioning them since this all started a week ago.

Just looking at who is paying the most for content in 2021.

1627586161417.png

Overlay the company's cash position. I think Google, Apple and Amazon are the most likely to overpay for a Tier 1 deal

Maybe throw Comcast (NBC/Peacock in) but they aren't pushing Notre Dame out of their prime-time for Iowa State vs Okie St

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I agree. But I'd guess a HUGE majority of folks would rather pay $20/month or $200 a year than browsing Reddit for the free out of country stream

Not to mention those streams are constantly adapting to beat whatever virus and spyware protection anyone may have.

Or someone could maybe keep an old mostly worthless computer around specifically for that reason rather than use those streams on a nice computer.

Netflix/HBO Max/Hulu/D+ have shown people will pay vs pirating if the service, content and interface is good enough.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Unfortunately, in my lifetime I've seen expenses go from purchasing a single item to being penny ante for everything. You can't even go into a hardware store without being confronted with purchasing 'insurance' for what you just bought. And God forbid a single cable package allows you to choose 10 out of 128 items. Instead they provide 'packaging' in a manner which forces you to buy more than what you need. By a lot. Heck you can't even go to the store and shop for 2 people anymore. Our entire life is built out of how to con people into spending more. It's no wonder ethics has plummeted everywhere.
THAT aside, I take more enjoyment watching all things Iowa State over any other piddly TV experience. So, purchasing that, at the very least, I'm getting only what I need/want.

Reactions: OnlyCyclones

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
The problem is 300,000 Iowa State fans aren't subscribing. I'm guessing realistically best case you'd be able to get 1/3 of that due to a few different issues:

1. People do still rely on cable regardless of how younger people feel about it (generalizing)
2. The casual observer who has no interest in the game but watches because it's on is eliminated
3. The advertising dollars are harder to get with such a targeted audience

I'm not sure there's a current Big 12 member not leaving for the SEC who would have 100,000 subscribers.

I guarantee Google/Amazon/etc. have all run the numbers on it.

• Winner
Reactions: I@ST1

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
The problem is 300,000 Iowa State fans aren't subscribing. I'm guessing realistically best case you'd be able to get 1/3 of that due to a few different issues:

1. People do still rely on cable regardless of how younger people feel about it (generalizing)
2. The casual observer who has no interest in the game but watches because it's on is eliminated
3. The advertising dollars are harder to get with such a targeted audience

I'm not sure there's a current Big 12 member not leaving for the SEC who would have 100,000 subscribers.

I guarantee Google/Amazon/etc. have all run the numbers on it.

I really should have clarified. I agree with you. This would have to be a Conference streaming package. Similar to NFL Red-zone where you get the whole league and not just your favorite team. So you'd get the remaining Big 8 games plus whoever the add or merge with

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
The problem with selling your rights to a youtube or amazon is that even if you're making more money, you're limiting your potential viewership. It's the same issue hockey ran into with NBC.

I don't see any major conference selling their rights to anyone other than a broadcast company (or one that has close ties to one like ESPN/ABC) for a very long time, but I could see a conference selling one game to a streamer each week. or selling their tier two basketball games.