Story about ISU and Chizik in KC Star

RING4CY

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2010
Ames, IA
“There’s always going to be a few people that disagree with anybody’s hire in college or the NFL,â€￾ Chizik said.

Whatever Gene, it has nothing to do with the hire, it has everything to do with the manner in which you handled yourself and lied to ISU and fans during the process.

You made a choice to leave, fine most can live with that - no harm no foul. That's college football coaching business. But you lied about it while spinning how entrenched you are in Ames and went on about how much character you have from your daddy. Blah blah blah. You can't opperate under two different sets of morals - EAD Gene.
This, this, this, and this a million times over.

I was able to help get over Chizik leaving Iowa State rather quickly. The instant success of Paul Rhoads helped speed that up. But it was the way Chizik left that will leave me feeling bitter, have hatred towards, and will always root against Gene Chizik.

DesertClone1

DesertClone
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 6, 2009
Queen Creek, AZ
huh... still no rebeccacy?

But seriously.. i like Auburn and what they have done.. but still hate chiz
without GM they wouldn't be that great imo.. Gus does what Cam can do best.. spread the field out and let him play ball.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
What if Chiz stayed because he did not get an offer and he then hired PR as DC?:eek:

Rhoads is a good a coach. He has been Coordinator at a number of big programs, but you can't hang success on the hiring of one coordinator. Wally has done wonders with our defense, do we know that Rhoads would have done the same as Coordinator? This is not a knock on Rhoads, but it is very possible that Rhoads under Chizik would not have produced the results on defense that we have seen. Maybe we would have had even better results, maybe less, we just don't know.

The fact is that Chizik didn't have good coordinators while he was here and on game day the team seemed un-prepared and Chizik made a lot of bad game time choices. Rhoads in comparison looks like Einstein. I can't believe that so much has changed with Chizik. He might be great at running a program from behind the scenes, but I'm guessing it is he's coordinators you can thank for Auburn's title game appearance.

sunset

Oct 18, 2006
San Diego, CA
The only people even pretending to believe that Auburn didn't pay Newton are Auburn fans. The typical BS NCAA time frame will play out and a few years down the road we will hear about vacating wins, championships, and heisman trophies. I swear ISU needs to start cheating. The NCAA has all but shouted to the world that it wants cheaters as long as they bring dollars in.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
He clearly knows how to recruit (say what you will about the pay to play allegations), and he's figured out how to build a successful coaching staff. He knows how to get the pieces in place to make a quality team, then let it go from there. But, as I've distinguished, there's a difference between being a coach and being a manager.

He figured it out while at Iowa State compiling 5 wins in two years. Rhoads figured it out before he was hired. Yet public perception is going to view the Chiz as a good HC which if you knew the whole story you know he doesn't deserve the accolades. That's what gets me mad.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
In retrospect we were "on the job training" for Chizzel. I notice he took a different approach at Auburn:

1. Hired assistants based off resumes rather than relationships.
2.Did not waste the entire practice making players line up helmets properly.
3. Oh yeah, and got roster populated with some of the best money can buy.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron