Stock up on your Templeton Rye

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
How do we know that you aren't simply trying to manipulate the market for this particular whiskey, akin to what the speculators did with the oil market last year???

You don't. I have been quite idle lately. You don't want to know what goes on after sundown.

ZJohnson

Mar 27, 2006
Charlotte
I know Uncle Bucks here in Des Moines has a ton of it...they use it for specials and other promotions.

SeattleClone

Aug 15, 2006
Go buy every last bottle. You can sell them next year as Christmas gifts and make a huge profit. :wink:

At first I thought you meant you sell Christmas gifts to your friends and family... :wideeyed: but then I realized you meant sell the bottles to other people to give as gifts. :smile:

You could just drink it yourself and give people donations to The Human Fund.

festivus%20human%20fund%20resized%2001.jpg

Jack34

It's Fun to have Fun.
Jan 16, 2007
Sounds made up - I'll take my chances it'll be around when I want it.

CycloneYoda

Jan 27, 2009
Sounds made up - I'll take my chances it'll be around when I want it.

Just got back from Hy-Vee and stopped and talked to the booze guy at Regal liquors. Same story about the hole on the shelf where T-Rye should be. Fortunately, they are getting some Friday, but not much, and it is expected to go fast.

buttermanned

Mar 28, 2009
Transportation costs can't nearly be as much from Carroll County to Story County as say Glenlivet in the same price range. I know its good stuff but c'mon, really?

There is no way that it should cost 32-35 dollars, point blank.

In America the market sets the price. Seems to me it sells pretty well at $32-$35.

AmesCloneFan

Aug 17, 2008
Ames
In America the market sets the price. Seems to me it sells pretty well at $32-$35.

Agreed - plus the old basic: supply and demand. If it was $45 a bottle, there would still be a large number of us (myself included) that would still be bummed that they're running out. Plus, if if was higher, they would likely still have plenty to go around as less people would be buying it.

clone4lyfe

May 21, 2008
West Des Moines
This is good stuff and well worth the $. It's going to be well worth the money also when the stores run out and all that's left is the 500 bottles I have in my basement. $65/bottle if anybody wants to put your name on the waiting list :jimlad:

illinoiscyclone

Jan 30, 2008
Wisconsin
$32 for top shelf isn't too bad. Maybe the price should be lower in Iowa, but in Chicago and surrounding look-alike villages, the pay anywhere from 40-50 for the stuff.

I dunno. I live about 60 miles out of chicago, and my favorite liquor store sells handles of jim beam for 22 bucks, where I can hardly get a 750 of jim beam here for that price. of course i dont live in cook county, so their alcohol tax is probably higher.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
Transportation costs can't nearly be as much from Carroll County to Story County as say Glenlivet in the same price range. I know its good stuff but c'mon, really?

Glenlivet is a MUCH higher volume spirit that is distributed globally. Efficiencies gained by the economy of scale alone would make it far more economical to make Glenlivet than Templeton Rye.

There are plenty of overpriced spirits and alcohol out there (Grey Goose and Dom Peringon, I'm looking at you), but I don't think that Templeton Rye is one of them.

I'd be more upset that Budweiser sells water for as much as it does.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Glenlivet is a MUCH higher volume spirit that is distributed globally. Efficiencies gained by the economy of scale alone would make it far more economical to make Glenlivet than Templeton Rye.

There are plenty of overpriced spirits and alcohol out there (Grey Goose and Dom Peringon, I'm looking at you), but I don't think that Templeton Rye is one of them.

I'd be more upset that Budweiser sells water for as much as it does.

Both of these.

I'll take it one step further. $8 6 packs for malted beverages (Smirnoff Ice, Zima, Mikes, etc)? That is just disgusting. Those companies should pay you to drink that garbage...

benjay

Mar 23, 2006

Are you familiar with supply and demand? They can charge whatever they want, as long as it sells. That simple fact is that it's selling at $32. People will pay a lot of money for premium booze.

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I'm familiar with it but there is no way I'm going to believe its worth that much, while it might be to certain people I just can't spend that much for something that I think is not worth it. I think people hopped on board with it from the name reason just as much as they did with the taste of it.
To me, I'm just saying that the price for that compared to a good imported scotch is not even close for quality.
People paying $32 is definitely demand price, but it can also prove my point in that its not worth it at that price. That its not that good enough for me to warrant that price point. I think too many people like it from the history of the name and not from that price point.

On what are you basing the "quality" of templeton rye? I mean, it's subjective, right? Even if you're a whiskey expert and connoisseur, your tastes may not align with it while others do.

I'm sure Templeton Rye has benefited greatly from its name, but to sustain the sales and the price, it has to sell longterm. It looks like it's doing fine to me, and it was released what... 3 years ago?

If the quality really is sub-$30, the price will someday equalize.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
$32 for top shelf isn't too bad. Maybe the price should be lower in Iowa, but in Chicago and surrounding look-alike villages, the pay anywhere from 40-50 for the stuff.

I pay $34.98 for it at my local Liquor store (Schaumburg, IL). I've seen it as high as $38.

I'd say it's borderline worth it. It's definitely a nice whiskey, comparable to most in that price range. That's a shaky price range though. They aren't a lot better than what you can get for $25, but they do offer more over your mass produced stuff.

None the less, I keep it right up there with my bottle of Laphroaig 10 yr. as my top shelf whiskeys I serve at home.

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I'm familiar with it but there is no way I'm going to believe its worth that much, while it might be to certain people I just can't spend that much for something that I think is not worth it. I think people hopped on board with it from the name reason just as much as they did with the taste of it.
To me, I'm just saying that the price for that compared to a good imported scotch is not even close for quality.
People paying $32 is definitely demand price, but it can also prove my point in that its not worth it at that price. That its not that good enough for me to warrant that price point. I think too many people like it from the history of the name and not from that price point.
If a single malt from Scotland can demand a higher price because it's a single malt from Scotland, why is it not ok for a whiskey from Iowa to demand a higher price because it's simply good?

It's legitimately good whiskey. If it wasn't, people wouldn't buy it - and they certainly wouldn't pay $32 for it.

And yes, in my opinion, it's every bit as good as a $32 bottle of single malt scotch.

It clearly ISN'T a single malt scotch, so it's a bit "apples-to-oranges", but it's certainly in the same ballpark in terms of quality.

Reactions: Broodwich

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Templeton Rye is my preferred spirit of choice when available. It IS superb and worth every penny.

Coupled with the fact that it helps Iowa and Iowans and has gained a reputation for being a superior product, why would you knock it? What truly exceptional and regionally famous products come out of Iowa that you can name?

I know the president of Templeton Rye. He's one of very few hard core Hawkeye fans I admire. He's an MIT Grad and one of the nicest people I have ever met and he has chosen to come back to Iowa to do something that no one else was doing here.

I support the product, it's reputation and the people employed by gladly paying what it's worth.

Reactions: zach

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
No its very ok to ask for $32, I just don't think its worth that. They've been making it for 3 years or so, not hundreds of years and aging it 10, 12 years like some scotch in this price range. Like I've said I think its a good whiskey but I find it hard to believe its worth $32, just my personal opinion. I always thought Jack Daniels was a rip off at $20 a bottle but they still sell the hell out of it just like templeton at $12 more a bottle.
So they only age it 5 years and not 10, so that makes it less valuable?

So far your reasons that Templeton Rye is overpriced are:

It's from Iowa
It's not imported
It's not aged as long and hasn't been made as long as other brands
It isn't a single malt whiskey

I get it that you don't think it's worth the price, I just don't understand your reasoning.

People for years and years thought America couldn't brew good beer either, but now some of the best beers in the world are brewed in the US.