Stinson talks Eustachy, Hoiberg, Rucker Park and The Tournament

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
One of the podcasts I subscribe to had Curtis Stinson on this week and I thought he gave some great perspective on the Wayne Morgan years and also what it was like to come from the streets of NYC.

At one point Stinson talks about playing 1 on 1 for money when he was a kid to help feed his family. Crazy. You can tell basketball and family are his entire world. Pretty good listen.

https://www.moonlightgrahamshow.com...superstar-and-iowa-state-great-curtis-stinson

Flattery

Jun 3, 2015
Lamoni- yep, my brother Timmy did this interview and it has some gems for Cyclone fans of that era. Interesting that Stinson has stayed loyal to Eustachy and Wayne after all these years. Also, the part about the Bronx is fascinating. I took it that Stinson cautions his son against idealizing that life.

amestoplease

Jan 30, 2012
great interview, stinson is the man. it would be awesome if they could find him a spot on this staff and get after the rucker park talent again. WARNING: listening to this interview may cause you to fall down a curtis stinson youtube rabbit hole.

Reactions: Lamoni and Flattery

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
I think what I liked most about the interview was Stinson's loyalty to all of the guys from that era. He speaks very high of Wayne Morgan, Eustachy, Jackson Vroman and Jared Homan. That was really cool to hear as a fan.

The Bronx stuff about Rucker Park and his family was awesome too. As an Iowan that is just a totally different perspective.

• Winner
Reactions: JSmoove

ISUMojoMan

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 2, 2010
That was a good blog. Stinson would be a good FawCast guest under the new format. He should write a book.

Ps... thanks for posting!

Reactions: Lamoni

Dormeezy

Nov 2, 2006
Cedar Rapids
Interesting tidbit: I was in the crowd for the Mt. Mercy University graduation ceremony in Cedar Rapids this past Sunday. Guess who was sitting two rows in front of me? Curtis Stinson.

Certainly was not expecting to run into an ISU legend there. Hadn't seen him since my freshman year at ISU -- Stinson's last year in Ames.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lamoni

Lamoni

Jan 11, 2017
I'm glad they asked him if he regrets leaving school early. Stinson definitely could have been in the top 3 scorers if he would have played four years.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
Curtis was a tough dude. I was surprised how good him and Blaylock were right out of the gate their freshman years. I believe they were both 3 stars if im not mistaken