Stewart Mandel’s (LOSER) Big 12 predictions: Is it K-State’s year in a conference of change?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There was a thread on this very site a day or two ago about Cowherd's ridiculous top 25. He's absolutely in the same conversation, IMO.

Pretty sure that was fake although him putting brands/blue bloods high on a list no matter their recent past would be par for the course.

• Informative
Reactions: Shawker

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
Thought his K-State at #1 take was stupid, then I got down to the KU finishing ahead of two teams portion and that just takes the cake.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
and typing out this paragraph:

"I wouldn’t be picking K-State to win the conference if I didn’t believe Martinez could boost the Wildcats’ offense. His turnover issues as Nebraska’s four-year starter are well-documented, but moving out of the dumpster fire in Lincoln to play for Chris Klieman should do wonders for Martinez’s consistency."
LMAO offense was never the problem for Nebby performing so poorly... Even with the TO's They could have won a lot of games if they had a defense with a pulse.

• Agree
Reactions: Jer and PSYclone22

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
What's with the Adrian Martinez love? The dude was always so hyped up at Nebraska but never delivered. He never did much at Nebraska, with a 1.5 TD:Int ratio and a completion percentage below 64%. Nebraska constantly brought in high 4 star wide receivers, but that didn't do much for Martinez to make his numbers look any decent. Sure, he can run, but so can most quarterbacks in the conference. The only fun fact I learned about Martinez, while looking up his stats, is that he has one career punt for 45 yards.

Fact: Martinez will face tougher defenses in the Big 12 than he's seen the majority of his career. The K-State lovers also ignore that the 3-4 scheme that so many teams are running makes it a lot easier to account for the QB as a run threat. Chris Kleiman and Collin Klein are vastly overrated and that gimmick offense isn't going to get it done for K-State. Outside of a couple players, K-State's 2 deep depth is not good.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I just rewatched us beating K-State at their place last year and don't see it. Martinez is going to be better than Skylar Thompson? I don't think so. And I saw on twitter some other noob was predicting Nebraska to go 10-2 and win their division, with Iowa finishing 7-5. So Martinez leaving Nebraska for K-State apparently improved Nebraska and K-State exponentially. Makes very little sense to me.
That's 100% being driven by imbalanced schedules. Nebby has the easiest cross over year they've had since they joined the conference. I wouldn't be shocked to see the bug eaters win 8 games.

Reactions: Jer

Aug 20, 2012
Mandel’s list reads like he might be slightly overweighting the coaches (Kleiman, Leipold and Sarkisian stand out). Personally, I don’t think it is terrible, just not terribly likely to occur.

Reading the comments here I’m struck by the thought there are self-described Cyclone fans that will read the following earnest statement and get angry:

If Coach Campbell and Coach Leipold remain at ISU and KU, respectively, then the Jayhawks will likely beat the Cyclones in a football game within 5 years.

Somebody is going to “dumb” this post. That the mechanism doesn’t acknowledge that the act of “dumbing” is itself often the dumbest **** here demonstrates its inherent flaws.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Mandel’s list reads like he might be slightly overweighting the coaches (Kleiman, Leipold and Sarkisian stand out). Personally, I don’t think it is terrible, just not terribly likely to occur.

Reading the comments here I’m struck by the thought there are self-described Cyclone fans that will read the following earnest statement and get angry:

If Coach Campbell and Coach Leipold remain at ISU and KU, respectively, then the Jayhawks will likely beat the Cyclones in a football game within 5 years.

Somebody is going to “dumb” this post. That the mechanism doesn’t acknowledge that the act of “dumbing” is itself often the dumbest **** here demonstrates its inherent flaws.

Kleiman is vastly over sold. He did a good job of keeping NDSU on the tracks after the rails had already been laid but that's it... I don't get why everyone is so sold on him, he has shown nothing so far other than beating an absolutely gutted LSU team in a meaningless bowl game.

Reactions: 12191987

MugNight

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 27, 2021
Kleiman is vastly over sold. He did a good job of keeping NDSU on the tracks after the rails had already been laid but that's it... I don't get why everyone is so sold on him, he has shown nothing so far other than beating an absolutely gutted LSU team in a meaningless bowl game.
I think KState fans have this “we’ve been to the top of the mountain, why shouldn’t we be able to make it back?” thing going on. They think because Bill “Lightning in a bottle” Snyder brought them out of the ashes 30 years ago that it can be replicated in kind.

Snyder developed a lot of JUCO kids and recruitment passovers into a well disciplined machine. It’s a different era now, especially competition for JUCO guys. The recipe doesn’t have the same ingredients.

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
I think KState fans have this “we’ve been to the top of the mountain, why shouldn’t we be able to make it back?” thing going on. They think because Bill “Lightning in a bottle” Snyder brought them out of the ashes 30 years ago that it can be replicated in kind.

Snyder developed a lot of JUCO kids and recruitment passovers into a well disciplined machine. It’s a different era now, especially competition for JUCO guys. The recipe doesn’t have the same ingredients.

There's a reason why they fell off both times he retired.... He certainly had a system that worked but you just aren't duplicating that without better recruiting.

Reactions: MugNight

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Fact: Martinez will face tougher defenses in the Big 12 than he's seen the majority of his career. The K-State lovers also ignore that the 3-4 scheme that so many teams are running makes it a lot easier to account for the QB as a run threat. Chris Kleiman and Collin Klein are vastly overrated and that gimmick offense isn't going to get it done for K-State. Outside of a couple players, K-State's 2 deep depth is not good.
Not to mention that Martinez has had a long list of injuries since his breakout freshman year. Heck he just now is seeing the field in practice after not even practicing during the spring. He is going to run and get hit, injured again, and then out for 2-3 games at a time. Even odds that the backup(s) see the field more this season than Martinez.

Aug 20, 2012
Yeah, I tend to agree. I think Sarkisian is very slightly shortchanged here too.

Personally I think putting KU where he did is just right for Leipold. I don’t necessarily think KU gets out of the cellar this year, but if he stays they will in short order.

Mostly I think that Mandel’s list is a defensible ranking of the coaches with a cursory nod to the realities of this year’s rosters. You and I probably agree on Kleiman, but I get why someone would be so high on him.

Paddythefatty

Jul 25, 2021
Yeah. The math doesn't add up there. Texas, Nebraska, Miami, Florida State just aren't the same anymore. Until people get this through their head, these schools will always be overhyped and overrated each year.
It comes down to coaches. Jimbo won a natty at FSU, Miami & losing their bagman network may be another reason for their decline but that’s why everyone is so high on our future cuz we found a coach, it’s what u need to ascend to whatever ceiling. Not to mention those programs come with added pressure where Campbell is on the hot seat for 7 wins so now guys like him Gundy or Whittingham, refuse to leave gigs where they relatively make the same money without the bs. Herman & Pelini would still be coaching at Texas & Nebraska if they weren’t psychos off the field

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Not to mention that Martinez has had a long list of injuries since his breakout freshman year. Heck he just now is seeing the field in practice after not even practicing during the spring. He is going to run and get hit, injured again, and then out for 2-3 games at a time. Even odds that the backup(s) see the field more this season than Martinez.

This. They think running him more Colin Klein style will cut down on his turnovers. That's a great concept, until he has to have his limbs reattached in mid-October.

Beyond that, I think you are just turning interceptions into fumbles. He is a truly dual threat QB.

Reactions: VeloClone

Allikat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 20, 2018
I just rewatched us beating K-State at their place last year and don't see it. Martinez is going to be better than Skylar Thompson? I don't think so. And I saw on twitter some other noob was predicting Nebraska to go 10-2 and win their division, with Iowa finishing 7-5. So Martinez leaving Nebraska for K-State apparently improved Nebraska and K-State exponentially. Makes very little sense to me.
Sklyar Thompson looks like he might make the Dolphins roster. Good QBs elevate their team. Martinez may have tools but Nebraska's failures are at least partly on his shoulders.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...okie-qb-skylar-thompson-continues-to-impress/

VoiceOfReason

Aug 21, 2016
I disagree. I like Klieman. I understand he inherited some inertia, but he won four national titles in five years and started at K-State during a pretty rough time with Covid hitting at the end of his first season. He also has more wins over Iowa than CMC. (Obviously I'm not saying he's a better coach than CMC, just think it's an interesting fact.)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron