Steve Prohm sheds light on the plan for the team's final scholarship

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by JStanz51, May 12, 2017.

1. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    I certainly don't rule out the possibility of making the tourney, the bubble gets weaker every year. My gauge is always how many things need to go right to get there, and I think a LOT of things have to go right that are currently unknowns.

That said I'm a believer in Prohm now, I just have to see it to believe it with the players.

• Agree Agree x 2
  2. srjclone

srjclone Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Minneapolis
    That is fair, and noway to prove otherwise. So cautious optimism it is haha, an Iowa State Staple.

Out of curiosity, how do you think we will do in conference, if you had to guess right now.

3. cyclonpediaJoe

cyclonpediaJoe Active Member

Jun 27, 2012
    West Des Moines
    Off topic question: When does the schedule for 2017/2018 get released? Trying to plan a trip to Columbia!

4. Messi

Messi Well-Known Member

Aug 25, 2011
    Male
    Cedar Rapids
    2016-17 non con schedule was released on July 14th last year. Big 12 schedule on September 1st.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Cyballzz

Cyballzz Well-Known Member

Feb 1, 2010
    Iowa State plays Missouri November 10th

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  6. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    If I had to guess I'd say around .500. I still expect to win most home games and IMO TT, KSU, and OSU will all be pretty bad. My concern is the noncon.

• Like Like x 1
  7. srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Minneapolis
    Yeah, Most people I have seen on here seem to have ISU out of the NCAA tourney but around 8-10/9-9 in Conference. And that is where I am confused. If that is what we put up in conference, we should be in a very good position to make the NCAA tournament. Mizzou is good but not a world beater because freshman decided tho play for Martin. Iowa is a rivalry game so who knows. And our tournament is a tournament. I could see us losing 3 games, or even 4, but that still isn't a bad record if you add those to your perceived Conference schedule.

8. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    #68 FinalFourCy, May 17, 2017 at 1:38 PM
    Last edited: May 17, 2017 at 2:03 PM
    Imo TCU last year was more talented than we will be next year and missed the tournament. However hopefully Hilton would change some of those close losses to wins. TT may be a better comparison. Maybe we're a little better and with Hilton we sneak in. Possible, but an uphill battle in which many things need to go our way.

• Like Like x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  9. srjclone

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Minneapolis
    I think the TCU team last year is an alright indicator on where our team will be to start this season. I will say I think what Prohm will try to implement into our team early will help them mask some of our glaring flaws, however.

10. LLCoolJansma

LLCoolJansma Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Male
    Quality
    Minneapolis
    Don't disagree.

the other side of the arguments would be, KSU was less talented than ISU will be next year and made the play in game/tourney. Plus TCU was in the tournament most of the year until the late season slide (not to mention won the NIT).
    I don't think it a wild expectation of ISU fans to have this years team battling for a Tourney Birth going into next year. If the team goes down to KC needing 1-2 wins to get into the NCAA's I think we all will view this as good year with a lot to build on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    KSU was less talented? If everything goes right and everyone reaches the upside we hope for, maybe, but at this point in time few neutral fans would say KSU at this time last year was less talented than what we have for next year. KSU returned proven good upperclassmen in Iwundu and Johnson, two All Big 12 newcomers in Brown and Wade, and a 20 game starter in Stokes. Sure, in a couple years Wigginton, McNeill, Lewis, Young, and Lard will hopefully be better.

• Disagree Disagree x 4
  12. singsing

singsing Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007

• Funny Funny x 1
  13. clonehoodie

clonehoodie New Member

May 14, 2017
    Male
    Right now all Steve needs is a Monte transfer. And he will welcome "transfers out" until he finds one.

Remember, it is all about beating KU. This team can beat Texas Tech. Maybe even on the road.

• Useful Useful x 1
  14. allfourcy

allfourcy Well-Known Member

Apr 26, 2012
    I thought TTech had a lot of starting juniors last year, especially Zachary Smith, a Juco (Fran Francilla raved about), and more? Won't they be pretty experienced? Plus they had a lot of close losses, including ours & WV & KU. Not saying we can't beat them, I just think they're going to be pretty decent actually.

15. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    You are correct. Keenan Evans is probably a 1st team B12 guy, and they also had that juco guy last year who was scoring like 15 ppg by the end of the year.

16. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Not sure why people are disagreeing with you on this. Iwundu and Johnson were like a best case Young and NWB. We won't have anybody as talented as Wade in the frontcourt. Barry Brown could be B12 defensive POY before he's done while providing a lot on offense. Sneed is like a more highly rated Lewis.

17. MartinCy

MartinCy Well-Known Member

Jul 12, 2016
    Male
    Cedar Rapids
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. Cyke

Cyke Active Member

Jun 22, 2011
    Male
    Des Moines, IA
    I will bet my house that Keenan Evans will not be 1st team all-big 12. Too many talented guards in this league. (Devonté Graham, Malik Newman, Jeffrey Carroll (6'6 but still a guard), Jaylen Fisher, Andrew Jones, Jevon Carter, & Lindell)

19. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    • Funny Funny x 1
  20. tobya8

tobya8 New Member

Mar 21, 2014
    And TCU won the NIT without Jalen Fisher!