Steve Prohm sheds light on the plan for the team's final scholarship

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by JStanz51, May 12, 2017.

1. cyclones500

cyclones500 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 2010
    Male
    writer/editor
    Michigan
    Ratings:
    +2,027 / 43 / -0
    Overrating the talent, perhaps. "Severely overrating" — disagree.

2. LLCoolJansma

LLCoolJansma Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Male
    Quality
    Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +2,099 / 111 / -0
    There is going to be a lot of talent added to the roster next year. I don't think we should underestimate that if they play up to their potential ISU will be a tourney team. We shouldn't say people are "overrating the talent". It is there.
    The question is how ready is this talent to preform up to their prep rankings and stars right away or if it will take a year?

The predictions right now are fun, but until we get to see this team play in Nov-Dec and see how this team gels it is a lot of guessing. I am very confident this program is set up very well after this year and if they don't make the NCAA tourney this year they will next.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Cyclonefanwill3

Cyclonefanwill3 Active Member

Jul 18, 2011
    Ratings:
    +73 / 1 / -0
    Who are some possible players Prohm may be referring to that will be great transfers later on this summer?

4. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales manager
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +12,937 / 615 / -0
    That would be really hard to say, as I really doubt they have announced their intentions to transfer yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. RustShack

RustShack Well-Known Member

Jan 27, 2010
    Doing work son
    Adventureland
    Ratings:
    +685 / 42 / -0
    Or you're just one of those people who are clueless about talent, and only know how to read a box score.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +1,885 / 109 / -0
    Chemistry, youth, inexperience?

The goal is to have the incoming players continue to build on the program CSP has started. If that means only that the youngsters are playing together at the end of the year then that is success to build upon going forward.

I'm in the minority in that total wins in the next year won't be indicative of how healthy the program is.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. SpokaneCY

SpokaneCY Well-Known Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Manager of Natural Gas
    Spokane, WA
    Ratings:
    +1,885 / 109 / -0
    A talented young freshman-laden team won't hold a candle to a mentally tough experienced upperclass-laden team.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. CycloneBBFan

CycloneBBFan Well-Known Member

Dec 21, 2015
    Male
    Ratings:
    +1,528 / 139 / -0
    #48 CycloneBBFan, May 14, 2017
    Last edited: May 14, 2017
    A talented young freshman-laden team isn't required to coddle a candle to a mentally tough experienced upperclass-laden team when they can wield the torch of victory with Cyclone veterans and 5th year transfers.

9. NATEizKING

NATEizKING Well-Known Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Hilton
    Ratings:
    +2,616 / 93 / -0
    I think people are severely overrating what it takes to make the tournament in 2018.

• Agree Agree x 4
  10. NewClone09

NewClone09 Member

Jan 7, 2009
    Male
    Ames, IA
    Ratings:
    +113 / 19 / -0
    Regardless of being the token backup grad transfer option, Brase is coming off of dang near back to back ACLs. I can't believe anything about him until I see it. Glad to have the depth but I'm seeing him a bit higher on rotation lists than I'm ready to grant him currently. Hope to goodness that he can atleast provide the depth we so desperately need down low.

11. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member

Mar 18, 2007
    Ankeny
    Ratings:
    +128 / 3 / -0
    Do you have a reason for this quote or just want to throw ice water on everything?

12. singsing

singsing Well-Known Member

Nov 2, 2007
    Ratings:
    +130 / 7 / -0
    Tell that to Kentucky

13. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1,573 / 230 / -0
    The year they went to the NIT?

• Winner Winner x 1
  14. BryceC

BryceC Well-Known Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Ratings:
    +1,673 / 107 / -0
    Sure.

I think Jackson is getting overrated by our fans simply because I don’t think from what I saw last year that his ballhandling is a plus skill for him. And I think that is incredibly important if he’s going to be our starting point guard, especially at his height. The counter argument to that is he is a really good shooter, so that may cause a lot of situations where guys close out too hard on him and that gives him the opportunity to beat a guy off the dribble. I don’t have access to Synergy stuff but I’d bet his catch and shoot shooting percentages are very high, and his off the dribble shooting percentages are very low. I don’t think this is the best situation for him if he’s going to be primarily a point guard.

I think Young is a very solid young player. His productivity went up once he got in the starting line up but I think people are overestimating his scoring ability and rebounding ability. He was very efficient but only took wide open shots. His defensive rebounding % of 9.9% is pretty dang low for a starting big guy.

NWB, at some point productivity matters and he was basically benched last year toward the end of the year.

Wigginton will be our next 2000 point scorer I’d bet, but he’ll still be a freshman.

Everybody else is basically going to be new to the team. Nobody knows exactly how good these guys will be but there are a lot of reasons to be skeptical. If KSU was bringing in Brase and Beverly, we wouldn’t be worried about it.

I also don’t expect as much improvement as a lot of people do out of our guys. They’ll get better sure but how much is always debatable.

Certainly possible. I like using stats with my eyeballs and making a judgement from there. I'm not in practice everyday. Maybe I overvalue productivity. I don't really care about talent if it doesn't produce.

I should note none of this is proof that I'm some undercover hawk or that I'm not a fan of these players. I think there is the possibility I am underrating these guys, and I'll be the first to admit that I was totally wrong, just like I did last year when I got too down on the team prior to Kansas. We'll see next year and I'm excited for the possibilities.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. Cyclonepride

Cyclonepride Thought Police
    Staff Member

Apr 11, 2006
    Male
    Sales manager
    A pineapple under the sea
    Ratings:
    +12,937 / 615 / -0
    You just never know with freshmen, but I can say that, on average, the freshmen of today are way, way more prepared to be productive than they were 20 years ago. I have no hard and fast expectations going into next year as success could have a few different definitions. Should be fun to watch it all come together.

• Like Like x 1
  16. srjclone

srjclone Well-Known Member

Nov 17, 2014
    Male
    Minneapolis
    Ratings:
    +4,627 / 127 / -0
    [​IMG]

• Funny Funny x 9
  17. Doc

Doc Well-Known Member

Aug 6, 2006
    Engineer
    Denver, CO
    Ratings:
    +5,540 / 200 / -0
    I generally agree with you, but I disagree on Jackson. I think Jackson is fine shooting off the dribble, there was a couple times this year he made jumpers off of ball screens and looked totally comfortable (I don't have the data either, though). I don't think he'll be the primary ball handler anyway. It will be a lot harder for him to get open shots next year, though.

I don't put a whole lot of weight into Solomon's 9.9% DR%. I think defensive rebounding is a team effort, while offensive rebounding shows more individual ability. A lot of times teams would just send one guy to the offensive boards against us, and Solomon would block that guy out while others got the board.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  18. BillBrasky4Cy

BillBrasky4Cy Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2013
    Ratings:
    +2,441 / 74 / -0
    Who's expecting Jackson to primarily play the point? Between Babb, Jackson and Wiggington you are going to see multiple guys bring the ball up the court and initiate the offense. Jackson will play more minutes at the 2 than he will playing PG.

• Agree Agree x 5
  19. FinalFourCy

FinalFourCy Well-Known Member

Mar 5, 2017
    Ratings:
    +1,573 / 230 / -0
    Imo it's valid to have some doubt that Jackson's numbers greatly increasing is as simple as greatly increasing his minutes, but I'm not worried about his ball handling and creating. If we end up not having a single guy with sufficient pg skills, Jackson will still be good at freeing up the other two guards to create offense. I see Jackson in that senior Mike Nurse role.

That said, I'm with Bryce in that I don't think our odds of making the tournament are good. Possible, but not good at this point.

20. VeloClone

VeloClone Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Male
    Brooklyn Park, MN
    Ratings:
    +4,624 / 45 / -0
    [​IMG]