Steve Prohm says he'll meet with Jamie Pollard to discuss his future next week...

Status
Not open for further replies.

erinmd32

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2015
I would say that Max Urich left ISU because he got pushed out because the football program was so BAD.

You will notice that Jimmie Dean Walden didn't last long when Gene Smith became the AD....

Walden also went without a win his last season

Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Walden also went without a win his last season

I know my friend I was a season ticket holder from 1975 until the last game that Dan McCarney coached....

....as I am looking at my tv ...KCCI breaks into the programing to tell me that
Jimmie Dean Walden has just been FIRED BY GENE SMITH! (Midseason Firing)

My reaction....I got up and got me a Bud Light to celebrate!

Reactions: erinmd32

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
God, you are really a ******* idiot. Prohm may very well be the worst coach in the history of the world. But no one can honestly claim that he didn't care about Iowa State and want to win here.
He would have gone to whatever school he could get the check. Of course he wanted to win because he didn’t want to lose the check. He’s not passionate about Iowa State. He never was. He’s passionate about Steve Prohm getting checks.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Fred turned out to be a homerun hire despite his lack of coaching experience. I don't think that means that a coach with a limited track record of either turning a program around or winning a lot of games as a head coach should be looked at as the ideal replacement.

I want the next coach to have a passion for being at ISU (which has been claimed for TJ), and TJ has shown he could recruit here well as an assistant. But, IMO he hasn't shown he can improve a team as a head coach enough YET that he should be our default/primary candidate right now.

If he's hired, it certainly could work out, but I think the odds of success are greater with a more proven head coach.

i like u

• Agree
Reactions: gj524 and Lineup

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So recruit less talented players?

Sure. It's worked for ISU football.

Do we want one and dones with a foot out the door and erratic basketball or something sustained?

Unless it's the next Chris Beard (although I think he still has lots of 3-4 year players), ISU won't consistently be good if there's not at least a mix of 3 and 4 year players.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Baylor, Virginia, Gonzaga, Iowa, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Oklahoma, Michigan, Wisconsin, Illinois. All those might have an occasional one and done, or two and done, but the majority are 3-4 year guys.

That's a good list and some very good basketball comes out of it (as gross as it is, Iowa plays well together).

Isn't Villanova another now that I think of it?

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
He would have gone to whatever school he could get the check. Of course he wanted to win because he didn’t want to lose the check. He’s not passionate about Iowa State. He never was. He’s passionate about Steve Prohm getting checks.
When your coach is a step down from the previous one, you cope by creating and latching on to things he’s an improvement in, like loving us.

Bama did turn him down in 2015, not the other way. It’s a business first, and he’s just another coach. One that is better at saying what fans want to hear, which really resonated with the lunatics that were hurt by Hoiberg leaving. He had some interest in other jobs in 2019 and would have left had the business side worked out that way. Like all coaches, loving us was a function of how much other programs loved him.

Did he care a little more than other coaches? More than some, less than others. He likely could have left in 2017 for another job if he wished. Like LE after 2000 and Fred anytime after 2012. He wanted to win here, just on his terms like most do. For example, not making the needed staff changes.

• Winner

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Well s***, with his heart just filled with passion for ISU......TJ should do it for free.

TJ would definitely cost less than the $1 million per win we paid Prohm for this year. All the Coaching Candidates will cost less than Prohm.

Reactions: Baseline23

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
Well s***, with his heart just filled with passion for ISU......TJ should do it for free.
I’d settle for no buyout if he fails, like Gary Andersen.
He won’t be free, but his price is part of the equation. Although it’s tough to say he’s giving us a discount when the market rate isn’t high.

The true test of love and wanting to be here would be if he has some success and other options. After turning around the program will he accept a new backloaded deal that in the near term has him 8th like Hoiberg? Will he leverage Jamie into a bad extension and raise otherwise he’s going to Bama like the overflowing-with-love-Prohm?

cysmiley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 30, 2012
Yeah Max Urich was just sooo GREAT an AD that he hired Jimmie Dean Walden instead of Bill Snyder who was literally begging for the ISU job.....

JimmieDeanWalden goes on to a Zero Win Season and Bill Snyder goes on to become a Hall of Fame Coach who they name a football stadium after....

WAY TO GO MAX ...WAY TO GO!
Hindsight is always 20/20. Do not disagree that Snyder was the much, much better coach and program builder. But as I remember it, Max would NOT have had the support of the fan base for hiring Snyder. A big topic back then was the home and home series with the Squacks (Iowa hosted the 1st two modern games), and ole Hayden Fry didn't want to continue the series; especially on a home and home basis and The ISU fanbase adamantly did; and Snyder was a Hayden guy. The fan base would have gone crazy if he hired Snyder and he advocated cancelling the game. The legislature, under pressure, got involved and told Iowa to continue the game. Damn squacks.

Baseline23

Mar 17, 2012
TJ would definitely cost less than the $1 million per win we paid Prohm for this year. All the Coaching Candidates will cost less than Prohm.
I must be losing my edge. I never thought of that 'calculus' ($1 million per win) until you pointed it out.
Jezus. I've associated Prohm with The Peter Principle in this forum before, but this is ridiculous.

Stormin

Apr 11, 2006
Hindsight is always 20/20. Do not disagree that Snyder was the much, much better coach and program builder. But as I remember it, Max would NOT have had the support of the fan base for hiring Snyder. A big topic back then was the home and home series with the Squacks (Iowa hosted the 1st two modern games), and ole Hayden Fry didn't want to continue the series; especially on a home and home basis and The ISU fanbase adamantly did; and Snyder was a Hayden guy. The fan base would have gone crazy if he hired Snyder and he advocated cancelling the game. The legislature, under pressure, got involved and told Iowa to continue the game. Damn squacks.

IIRC there was a lot of noise against Snyder. No Head Coaching Experience. We went with Walden. Walden was Head Coach at Washington State. We went with Experience. Plus Walden didn’t have Hawkeye ties. And wasn’t just an Assistant. So it was ingrained biases that would not lead to the selection of Bill Snyder.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron