Steve Prohm releases statement

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Would ISU hire anybody like Johnny Orr today? Johnny could be a little rough around the edges and let his temper(and language) get away form him, but he knew basketball. I'm afraid some people would raise holy#### if he was hired today.

Nope he would never survive today. But he was a perfect hire for ISU at the time. Still my favorite coach, with Fred being 2nd.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Nope he would never survive today. But he was a perfect hire for ISU at the time. Still my favorite coach, with Fred being 2nd.

Was he really that bad in terms of temperament? I grew up an 80s Iowa fan at the time and I thought he was a pretty cool coach the times I saw him vs ISU.

Iowa's coaches were pretty mild mannered guys when I was a kid in the 80s and early 90s (although way more successful than the last three coaches). What little I knew of Orr I liked that he had some fire.

Not switching to ISU until mid 90s when I see all the classic football and basketball highlights the two people I wish I had been able to follow were Grayer and Orr. With Troy Davis everybody saw the highlights plenty. In that best ISU dunker thread I was looking back at Grayer clips, wow, he is close to Deonte Burton as a dunker.

Reactions: CyBobby

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Would ISU hire anybody like Johnny Orr today? Johnny could be a little rough around the edges and let his temper(and language) get away form him, but he knew basketball. I'm afraid some people would raise holy#### if he was hired today.
YES Johnny Orr could be a little rough...On one of his Call In Shows with Pete Taylor a caller asked Johnny about a bad season and Johnny said...YOU CAN GO TO HELL....right on the radio....I laughed and I thought that's the real Johnny Orr.
Johnny being Johnny as they say!

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Was he really that bad in terms of temperament? I grew up an 80s Iowa fan at the time and I thought he was a pretty cool coach the times I saw him vs ISU.

Iowa's coaches were pretty mild mannered guys when I was a kid in the 80s and early 90s (although way more successful than the last three coaches). What little I knew of Orr I liked that he had some fire.

Not switching to ISU until mid 90s when I see all the classic football and basketball highlights the two people I wish I had been able to follow were Grayer and Orr. With Troy Davis everybody saw the highlights plenty. In that best ISU dunker thread I was looking back at Grayer clips, wow, he is close to Deonte Burton as a dunker.

In temperament he was good. I was thinking more of his ribald story telling and just off the cuff comments that people would be up in arms about today. I'm pretty sure somewhere there is the quote about David Moss it goes sort of like this "longest arms I've ever seen on a white boy" He was awesome a tweaking referees and fueling the fire on rivalries such as Iowa, Missouri, OU. He fit perfect at the time I just don't know if he would anymore, but he will still be my favorite coach.

When he came to ISU I think he went to every dorm floor, fraternity, and sorority on campus to stir up interest for MBB. He promised us entertaining BB and he sure delivered that. The first time I went was on a free ticket from a friend who had to study for a test. Great game and next yr I scrounged up enough money for tickets and have owned them ever since.

I hope whoever our new coach is makes it fun to go to BB again. My standards aren't as high as many on the board Natty's would be fun, but I just want to defend Hilton, steal some on the road, and make the tourney 3 out of 4 yrs and make a deep run in it now and then.

ntxcyclone

Nov 16, 2013
For me, the thing that frustrated me about Prohm the most is that he literally killed Hilton magic....I’ve been a fan since the Orr days and I’m very used to seeing us win every home game or losing maybe 1-2 home games in a season. Prohm actually finished UNDER .500 in conference home games.... just pathetic. He’s the only coach in my lifetime in football or basketball who was truly in over his head at this level.

throwittoblythe

Aug 7, 2006
Minneapolis, MN
That house is way overpriced for Ames. I wonder if he did some renovations to it to justify the ridiculous price.

I've wondered about coaches houses in Ames (and other small cities), in general. You have folks that are making in the top 0.01% of the city. I assume most of these coaches do not want to buy a used house, so they end up building. Seems that a place like Ames would end up with a glut of huge homes that only a select few people can afford. Maybe I'm thinking about it incorrectly, though?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
That house is way overpriced for Ames. I wonder if he did some renovations to it to justify the ridiculous price.

It looks like he paid over $800k for it. I’m assuming like most people, they are listing it for what they hope to get but would accept less.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I've wondered about coaches houses in Ames (and other small cities), in general. You have folks that are making in the top 0.01% of the city. I assume most of these coaches do not want to buy a used house, so they end up building. Seems that a place like Ames would end up with a glut of huge homes that only a select few people can afford. Maybe I'm thinking about it incorrectly, though?

Some of those subdivisions that the coaches live in are ridiculous. Lots of rich people in ames apparently.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Seems like back in the day the next coach usually purchased the old coaches house since they were basically the only person in the market that could afford that house. I think Ames now has a bunch of people that can afford that price range.

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA

Grayer was and is still my all-time favorite player at ISU.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

SCyclone

Mar 11, 2014
Fort Dodge, IA
Orr appeared at a Cyclone event in Dirty Dodge (Starlite Village, IIRC) early on in his tenure. Right away, he said that folks always told stories about his legendary use of profanity. That was followed by, "I'm sure you'll get used to it, but if not, you can just f**king go home!" Pete Taylor died laughing. Orr brought the house down.

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
Those days are never coming back - social media/internet/iphone videos killed the coaches events. there used to be so many great jokes, insults, stories, etc.

Maybe it was spurrier's "free shoes U" that was the last one....

• Winner
Reactions: BigCyFan