Stephen King's It (the movie)

dahliaclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 4, 2007
Minneapolis
Yeah, IT the book is great. He writes really great books ('Salem's Lot, Pet Sematary, Green Mile, The Stand, IT, The Shining are all classics).

SplitIdentity

Mar 31, 2007
Minnesota
Desperation was a movie adaption that was terrible compared to the book. The stand was.... OK, but it's too long if a story even for an 8 hour adaptation of whatever that movie was.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I see the original on TV every now and then, it really wasn't great but I remember it being all the rage when it came out.

The actors/characters just didn't seem to fit but at least I didn't find myself actually waiting for them to get offed like in 'I Know What You Did Last Summer'.

But Tim Curry nailed it imo.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Desperation was a movie adaption that was terrible compared to the book. The stand was.... OK, but it's too long if a story even for an 8 hour adaptation of whatever that movie was.

I agree. The Stand was a great book. Kinda hard to make that into a movie or series and make it halfway believable.

HitItHard58

Nov 3, 2012
Story Co.
The kid from We're the Millers (the one with the spider on his junk) was originally slater to play Pennywise. He's not on the IMDb page anymore. Not sure what happened there, but I'm excited for this remake, which is something never said about any movie before.

Yeah I went from WTF to eventually coming around and thinking he could do a great job to now being bummed that he's not in it. I'm sure the Skarsgard guy will be fine but I was fully on board with Will Poulter.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Tommyknockers was the worst of the King adaptations IMO. Turrible.

Thinner wasn't awful. The remake of the Shining with the guy from Wings was just off since Nicholson was so iconic in the first one.

It was a terrible movie. Want a scary clown? That dude from AHS Freak Show was creepy.

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Stephen King book adaptations into movies are really really bad or really really good. I am shocked there are so many that think the tv version of IT was scary. I think it's awful. Hope this version is better. And Pet Sematary is being remade...if they do it right, that will scare the **** out of people. The original movie was good but not great. Get some known actors and good director attached (it was one rumored that Guillermo Del Toro was interested) and it could be awesome.

The Dark Tower adaptation SHOULD be awesome. We'll see.

Personally, 'Salem's Lot is the scariest book I've ever read. Movie is pretty bad but I'm not sure how it could be made into a great movie without the movie being like 5 hours long. That's the biggest change from books to movies for his adaptations...in his books he really lets you get to know characters and like them but in movies you have to cut a lot of that stuff out.

Best Adaptations of King books:

Misery
Stand By Me
Shawshank Redemption
Carrie
Green Mile

Worst:

The Shining (this book is incredibly scary. I don't think the movie is scary at all and King absolutely HATES what Kubrick did with the movie)
IT
Dreamcatcher (JUST AWFUL)

Haha...GOOD! As far as I'm concerned, judging by what King did with it in 1997 for the TV miniseries, that's Kubrick's story now and his alone.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
Yeah I went from WTF to eventually coming around and thinking he could do a great job to now being bummed that he's not in it. I'm sure the Skarsgard guy will be fine but I was fully on board with Will Poulter.

That was exactly how I thought of it as well. The spider schlong kid is actually a decent actor... never heard of Skarsgard, but honestly I don't think it would take all that much to pull off Pennywise.

On a side note, I am planning on remaking an early 90's movie called Brainscan and having the singer of Green Jello play the demon guy, or whatever he was supposed to be.