Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Not entirely wrong? She's not wrong in the smallest, tiniest iota. None of this is going on for any reason other than money.
“Money” is such a simplistic label.

You’re a History Professor. So you realize that without “money”, the economy would collapse, and the country would be in chaos.

I think it’s far more apt to call it “a determination to keep functioning”.

Any further statement would belong in the Cave.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
“Money” is such a simplistic label.

You’re a History Professor. So you realize that without “money”, the economy would collapse, and the country would be in chaos.

I think it’s far more apt to call it “a determination to keep functioning”.

Any further statement would belong in the Cave.

I applaud your simplistic desire to avoid any interaction with that point or a cautious, even realistic, COVID viewpoint.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Not entirely wrong? She's not wrong in the smallest, tiniest iota. None of this is going on for any reason other than money.
I'd caution any writer against trying to say that we're learning more about how to manage this when we're piling up thousands of dead bodies every day. She really blew it with that part.

Then why are they playing non revenue sports? Why are d3 schools playing?

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
Then why are they playing non revenue sports? Why are d3 schools playing?

ESPN $ isn't the only $ out there.
I'm teaching at a small school that's only in person due to the extremely high % of athletes in the student body.
Tuition, room/board, wherever else the $ is coming from.

Same reason we do everything around here during COVID that the successful countries didn't.

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
4-4- 0-3 in the SEC not near the pressure to keep playing as a top 10 team, or a team on the upswing like the Cyclones. Interesting that it was a players decision.

It's more interesting that the Duke women shut it down, too, even as Coach K lamented playing (but still keeps playing).

Kim and Coach K have no problem complaining (after losses, notably) about how they shouldn't be playing, yet...they keep playing. If they were truly as uncomfortable as they purport to be in press conferences, then take the next step and shut it down. Oh ho, can't do that, though. Gotta collect that seven-figure paycheck, after all.

SMP05

Oct 10, 2015
Read a comment somewhere saying that if Mulkey was concerned about the health and safety of her athletes, why is DiDi Richards even stepping on the court after her SERIOUS injury? Seems a bit hypocritical.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
Read a comment somewhere saying that if Mulkey was concerned about the health and safety of her athletes, why is DiDi Richards even stepping on the court after her SERIOUS injury? Seems a bit hypocritical.
The announcers were even talking about DiDi having to massage her calves all the time as if her legs weren't fully recovered yet. For those unaware, DiDi was in a collision in practice in December and literally lost all feeling in her legs for awhile.

Reactions: ISU71 and SMP05

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012

That was a heck of a collision her and Moon had, she's recovered has met the protocols and is cleared to play. I'm guessing the calf problem was from not having much practice over the last 28(?) days. I respect Mulkey a lot as a coach, not always fond of her opinions or attitudes and she doesn't take losing well, but to think she doesn't care about her players is wrong.

Reactions: Tornado man

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
She is entirely correct. These games would not be happening if there wasn't the amount of money involved.

There are two sides to the money thing. Most of the money goes to pay for players to go to schools and of course coaches. I'm sure that Kim has a really nice salary, and a contract that pays her all kinds of extra money for winning games. Now if she wants to stop getting paid and take all her players off of scholarship to prove her conviction, I will start believing that this isn't more about losing to ISU than actually playing the games.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA
basic (and quick) research shows for WBB, approx. salary:
UCONN Geno Auriemma: $2.4 mill
BAYLOR Kim Mulkey: $2.27 mill
N. DAME Muffet McGraw $2.1 mill
TEXAS Vic Shaefer: $1.8 mill
S. CAROLINA Dawn Staley: $1.75 mill
OKLAHOMA Sherri Coale: $1.3 mill
IOWA Lisa Bluder: $1.1 mill
RUTGERS C Vivian Stringer $950,000
IOWA ST. Bill Fennelly: $800,000

I was shocked to see that Frau Blucher (horse neighs) has been coaching longer than Fennelly. She has 37 years as head coach, Bill only has 34.

• Informative
Reactions: Neptune78 and NWICY