• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Halincandenza

Oct 24, 2018
This came up because the Bears have been missing games because of Covid and Mulkey is recovering from it. It didn't have anything to do with a loss. This is the first chance reporters had to ask her about this and it isn't just Baylor, lots of teams have been cancelling games and in fact one ACC team just decided to end their season.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
The luck part of our not getting hit by Covid (yet) is real. Mulkey got exposed, quarantined and tested positive, maybe who/what got Covid to her team. Fennelly got exposed, quarantined and fortunately tested negative and did not spread it to the team. Both coaches exposed, one lucky and one not lucky. I'd say it is one part procedure/discipline and one part luck.

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
She is entirely correct. These games would not be happening if there wasn't the amount of money involved.

The money is involved. We can't undo that. So you either play or athletic departments go broke. If it's the latter, so be it, but I'd imagine ol' Kimmy's tune would be a little different if having to cut WBB was on the table due to budget shortfalls.

CloniesForLife

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2015
I would be interested to see what the data looks like on general college population COVID cases vs college athlete COVID cases. I was initially against playing sports as I thought it would turn into a mess. Obviously there have been issues but with the access to testing as well as (generally) players staying more in a bubble I have to imagine playing a college sport is probably SAFER than being a regular old college student.

As for Mulkey's comments. While she is correct the words also ring pretty hollow. If she was willing to take a pay cut to stop playing while allowing the AD to be able to stay afloat then her words would have a little more weight IMO.

• Agree
Reactions: BigCyFan

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
How can anyone have a Love/Hate relationship with Mulky?

Unless you mean that you love to hate her. ;)

Any bit of respect I had for her went away when she defended the rape cover ups. Maybe I'm sexist, but if like to think a woman who coaches young women would be against such things.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
She is entirely correct. These games would not be happening if there wasn't the amount of money involved.

Totally disagree - there are Div 2 & 3 teams, NAIA teams, high school teams and many others playing that have NO dollar incentive to play. There are many other reasons to maintain the games other than money, that is definitely a component of it but not the only reason.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
Totally disagree - there are Div 2 & 3 teams, NAIA teams, high school teams and many others playing that have NO dollar incentive to play. There are many other reasons to maintain the games other than money, that is definitely a component of it but not the only reason.
There must be big time money at stake in my daughters rec league for them to be playing this year.

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006
I would be interested to see what the data looks like on general college population COVID cases vs college athlete COVID cases. I was initially against playing sports as I thought it would turn into a mess. Obviously there have been issues but with the access to testing as well as (generally) players staying more in a bubble I have to imagine playing a college sport is probably SAFER than being a regular old college student.

As for Mulkey's comments. While she is correct the words also ring pretty hollow. If she was willing to take a pay cut to stop playing while allowing the AD to be able to stay afloat then her words would have a little more weight IMO.

I don't think you could compare student athletes to non-student athlete data. SA's are tested multiple times per week. Non-SA's may be tested once. A non-SA could get Covid, but not be tested, so it wouldn't be in the data.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Steph hit upon this and maybe it's my age and I'm getting curmudgeonly but I think it's also the thought process of people of late. Adversity and tough times hits so people think they are special and have extenuating circumstance. You aren't special, adversity hits everyone. It's how you handle it. Sometimes you gotta eat a little ****.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I posted about this in the game thread but will post about it here again. First off where was the concern in 2017 about the safety of her players when she defended Baylor during the FB sexual assault scandal with her "I'm in the know" and comments on senior day about she would punch anyone in the face that said they would not feel safe sending their daughter to Baylor. Then this blow up, she has a pattern of saying controversial things every time she faces adversity. She didnt take a pay cut like so many other coaches around the country have so its hypocritical of her to say it is about the almighty dollar when she's still cashing in her entire paycheck.

This is just another moment that shows it's more about her and her next national championship or landing the next top recruit than anything she rants about. How come these moments never come out after a big win by her team but usually after a loss or at a time her or Baylor is facing adversity?

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Absolutely RICH from someone that couldn't even keep their mask on during the game. If Mulkey is so concerned about it that she thinks they should cancel the season then at least follow the safety precautions.

I also watched her postgame press conference when she took off her mask & was coughing a few times. Yikes! Not sure she should have even been coaching yet. Hopefully our team didn't get "infected". (From COVID, that is):jimlad:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
This came up because the Bears have been missing games because of Covid and Mulkey is recovering from it. It didn't have anything to do with a loss. This is the first chance reporters had to ask her about this and it isn't just Baylor, lots of teams have been cancelling games and in fact one ACC team just decided to end their season.

I don't give any benefit of the doubt to a woman who suggested 50+ rape victims are liars.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Steph is surprised someone within the Baylor AD department may not be a good person? Lol

We have all known Kim Mulkey has been a nasty, nasty person for 20 years at Baylor. It should be expected that she would take this loss poorly, not give Iowa State credit in the win, and essentially have no class.

The Baylor football program has lacked class the last 20 years with their issues with sex assaults and the scandal with Briles, the basketball team with Coach Drew has wreaked of cheating with Drew and the AAU circuit (constantly swapping AAU coaches in and out of his staff), and Kim Mulkey has been a cutthroat horrible person in this sport for a while.

Baylor is the worst athletic dept in the league from an ethics and likability standpoint, and it's not even close to anyone else.

superiorcyclone

Dec 12, 2013
Then doesn't that make you a hypocrite for coaching and not staying home? My disdain is for hypocrites, and irrational people. Mulk does not have to coach. To complain about the NCAA's motives while ignoring her motives is hypocritical. Also, the most important motive that anyone can have is the best interest of the athletes. The athletes that want to compete can compete. There is not one shred of evidence that being in college and being an athlete increases your risk of death from Covid. There is evidence that young men do dangerous things and manage to end up dead. An argument can be made that busy young men and women in college are safer than their peers who choose different paths. It is not science but panic. 20 year olds not in college, are not safer in anyway than 20 year old students or student athletes. It is spreading fear to suggest otherwise.