Steph Curry accepts Web.com invite

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
I saw some of his highlights today on ESPN in the round he shot 68. Impressive.

Like you said, he will get smoked but I'm sure his swing coach is top notch, so he may shoot decent.

clone52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 27, 2006
So, some other guy out there busting his ass to make a living playing golf gets bumped because of this **** head? Stupid.

That's kind of the purpose of a sponsor's exemption. Get someone in there to get more eyes on the event so they can see your product. This leads to bigger pay days for the rest of the field.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
So, some other guy out there busting his ass to make a living playing golf gets bumped because of this **** head? Stupid.

Not really as the only person getting bumped is whoever else the sponsor had in mind for their exemption slot, who likely wouldn't have been close to making the cut either.

Last edited:

brokenloginagain

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2006
i think all the pro leagues in golf should do this, remind everyone of how insanely good they are when a scratch handicap athlete shows up and shoots 88.

golf needs all the attention it can get.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
Not really as the only person getting bumped is whoever else the sponsor had in mind for their exemption slot, who likely wouldn't have be close to making the cut either.
That's probably not true as players get sponsors exempts all the time and play well. But this is fine because it will improve pay for fields.

Cyclone.TV

Sep 3, 2016
I said not likely as only 17% of players on sponsor exemptions made the cut in the last 18 months, and 0 have won.

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/...-how-webcom-sponsors-invites-actually-perform

Small sample sizes aside, that is also only using the "unrestricted" exemptions and I believe a lot of people are arguing that those should be restricted to people who deserve to play. But like I said, the sponsors want to get exposure and ticket sales can help bring more money in for all the players. So it's a fine line.

tm3308

Jun 13, 2010

What's better for the health of the game: some no-name guy threatening to flirt with making the cut, or a guy as globally popular as Steph Curry bringing attention to the game?

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron