State of ISU MBB if we had hired Otz instead of Prohm?

Cyclonefan710

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2012
Yes the roster was screwed up but I get so tired of hearing that Fred didn't recruit for two years. He was a victim of his own success and his NBA style game. Everyone knew that he wanted to eventually be in the NBA and that his game was a fit for the NBA and that hurt him on the recruiting trail - a lot. You are naïve if you don't think every coach he was recruiting against didn't use that against him. Kids want to know for whom they are going to be playing - not committing to the unknown.

Sorry I don’t consider only chasing high 4 stars and 5 star recruits as recruiting. You’re naive if you think 1 high school recruit over a 2 year period was the best Hoiberg could do.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
The correct answer is that we have no clue.

Prohm was also a pretty decent recruiter, he just couldn’t coach at all. Same could be true of Otz, we’ll have to wait and see.
Prohm recruited well until 2019* flamed out his last 2 classes. I'm not really sure why, either. On paper, at the very least the '20 guys should have been pretty good. '19 was an unmitigated disaster, worst class in ISU history.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
TJ is our coach at this very moment and that’s all that matters. Steve provided us some very awesome memories and some great players, even if his last two years were awful.

Right now, let’s all just be happy / positive with what we have in front of us.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I do'nt think it would have been the right time. And if history has taught us anything, you don't want to "be the man who follows the man."

Reactions: Wally86

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Who knows but I'd guess ISU would not be coming off of two consecutive twenty loss seasons.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Prohm recruited well until 2019* flamed out his last 2 classes. I'm not really sure why, either. On paper, at the very least the '20 guys should have been pretty good. '19 was an unmitigated disaster, worst class in ISU history.
Did
Jalen Coleman-Lands
land at another school yet?

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I'm not going to be the Negative Nellie who trashes the OP for bringing up a hypothetical. It's something that most everyone at some point has pondered.

Here's my take. Recruiting would not have fallen off like it did, and TJ certainly would have had some screw-ups that would be part of on the job training. I see a scenario like Drew at Baylor where we would have had a similar success to what Fred had, even if there was a step backwards.... but improvement as he gained experience. As we learned with Prohm, results vary drastically based on the roster, which proves that X's and O's are only part of the deal in what makes a successful coach.

Would have been nice, we would have ended up better as momentum wouldn't have been killed, but that's water under the bridge. It's humbled us and will make us more appreciative fans when this thing turns around.

• Dumb
Reactions: CyDude16 and t-noah

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
Steve recruited effectively two of the top 5 rookies in the NBA this year and had them together for a season not long ago. THT is basically in his rookie season and absolutely dominating approaching the playoffs.

Can't know anything from recruiting alone.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Did
Jalen Coleman-Lands

Article above has him linked to BYU, but they have seemingly cooled on him with eligibility being a potential concern. Maybe he should have just stayed? No room for him now.

• Informative
Reactions: t-noah

moores2

Nov 9, 2018

Article above has him linked to BYU, but they have seemingly cooled on him with eligibility being a potential concern. Maybe he should have just stayed? No room for him now.
Wouldn't his scholarship not count towards the limit since he would be a super senior?

• Useful
Reactions: Bardman and t-noah

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
I'm not going to be the Negative Nellie who trashes the OP for bringing up a hypothetical. It's something that most everyone at some point has pondered.

Here's my take. Recruiting would not have fallen off like it did, and TJ certainly would have had some screw-ups that would be part of on the job training. I see a scenario like Drew at Baylor where we would have had a similar success to what Fred had, even if there was a step backwards.... but improvement as he gained experience. As we learned with Prohm, results vary drastically based on the roster, which proves that X's and O's are only part of the deal in what makes a successful coach.

Would have been nice, we would have ended up better as momentum wouldn't have been killed, but that's water under the bridge. It's humbled us and will make us more appreciative fans when this thing turns around.

You know, if we keep pondering about water under the bridge.........is it really that?

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Steve recruited effectively two of the top 5 rookies in the NBA this year and had them together for a season not long ago. THT is basically in his rookie season and absolutely dominating approaching the playoffs.

Can't know anything from recruiting alone.

He was a good guy and, had a style of play that kids wanted, and we had a reputation of being a good program. Were those two rookies as much a result of where our program was at the time? My point is that despite getting some REALLY good kids, he still was a failure recruitingwise because he couldn't effectively fill the roster with the talent to compete. Maybe the issue was that he wasn't as great at developing talent as was perceived. That deficiency likely wouldn't be exposed at the mid-major level as it is at a P6 level.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Did
Jalen Coleman-Lands

Wouldn't his scholarship not count towards the limit since he would be a super senior?
Has he 'burned the bridge' to coming back even if he maybe could?

Would TJ want him? Good player, yes but would take PT form other TJ recruits. Interesting question though.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
You know, if we keep pondering about water under the bridge.........is it really that?

Not if we ponder it. But if we're going to get all worked up about it, it's certainly not. IMO, because of the fact that 90% of all communication is non-verbal, people on message boards often misinterpret what is trying to be communicated. How many threads have you seen where someone parses one line out of three paragraph post which turns into a debate of it's own? That one line may have been inconsequential to the poster but certainly not to the one who responds. We end up on these energy wasting tangents...tangents like "whether it's really water under the bridge." :D

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
He was a good guy and, had a style of play that kids wanted, and we had a reputation of being a good program. Were those two rookies as much a result of where our program was at the time? My point is that despite getting some REALLY good kids, he still was a failure recruitingwise because he couldn't effectively fill the roster with the talent to compete. Maybe the issue was that he wasn't as great at developing talent as was perceived. That deficiency likely wouldn't be exposed at the mid-major level as it is at a P6 level.

If Monte was 2-3" taller or Georges was 30 lbs lighter Fred would have had the same holes to fill from early NBA departures. Maybe (probably) he could have filled them better but having those guys arriving as four year all-conference level players with very little risk of leaving early because of their lack of NBA prototype build was a cornerstone.

Otz does seem to have retained and targeted some guys that could fit that mold. Hunter seems legit but doesn't have the measurables that jump off the page for NBA scouts.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Has he 'burned the bridge' to coming back even if he maybe could?

Would TJ want him? Good player, yes but would take PT form other TJ recruits. Interesting question though.

I don't think you can have too many players. I think the bigger issue is that he doesn't want to come back. The article states that he's a SEVENTH year player. My gut feeling is that his desire to play another season of college basketball anywhere isn't strong or he wouldn't have left in the first place....or would have found a home by now. Wouldn't surprise me if he decides to pursue a professional career instead.