STANZ: Thoughts on Tyrese Hunter's transfer, ISU and an NIL collective and more

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I think the key distinction is nobody should blame Hunter but at the same time people shouldn’t feel bad for not giving two craps about him now.

I’ve said it before and I will say it again the value for these players is largely about the name on the front of the user set not the back. They are valuable because they play for your team not because of the player themselves. As this evolves and people take a step back from their fandom the values these players have are going to drop. I hope someone figures out a way to save it but college sports as we knew them are done.

• Wow
Reactions: CyBobby

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
If keeping star players is up to ISU fans/boosters we are boned. Especially true with no caps.

I mean, we whine about posting 7.95 a month to watch dozens of basketball games. Myself included.

Jamie showed the numbers, but there's what, 30000 members of the Cyclone Club? Even if we all give 100 bucks a year, that's $3MM,for all the breece halls, Brock purdys, kolars, hunters, etc.

We all band together, hold hands, sing kumbaya, and create this fund to keep our best players around. But then Phil Knight just says 'that's cute' and cuts a check for $4MM.

I feel like it'll get much worse before getting better. Hopefully it's not too late.

So many things to think about, and we want whats best for players, but is it better for 'the game of college basketball' or other sports, too? Sure don't think the powers to be thought this out very well.

WhoISthis

Oct 6, 2010
What it will come down to for me is a decision to donate to 'the collective' or to the ISU AD. Kind of a weird 'either or', but here we are.
It’s one and the same.

The AD costs are fundamentally about trying to attract the best players (and coaches). Basketball equipment hadn’t changed much in the last 40 years.

It was just wildly inefficient before.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Because when players sign NIL deals, especially big ones its news. The school wants it known for promotion and usually whoever is ponying up the money wants it known too. Its excellent marketing for the school and NIL funder. Now that everything is above board there is no reason for it not to be shared.
When I commented that I hope we at least get to see what NIL deals are given, so we know what we are up against, it was bashed on here.....as in I don't publicize my employees salaries so why should these things have to be publicized. Well, since they're making it exactly like free agency but with no compensation in return or rules, then we should get to know that, just like we know Mookie Bett's salary.

Peter

Feb 21, 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
It’s the Wild West right now in college athletics. NCAA crapped the bed on NIL. Wouldn’t be surprised to see lawsuits in the near future.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
If this is some big misdirection by Iowa State and the media that would bother me much more than Hunter leaving.

To the OP, do you have any sources, even if anonymous, that say Hunter is leaving for the money? or are you just making an assumption just like everyone else?
Guess he’s choosing not to answer which makes me even more convinced there is more to this than NIL.

Last edited:

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Just let the thoughts flow.

Well stated Jared! I think you capsulized a lot of our thoughts over the past couple of days very well.

Good luck to Tyrese. I was really looking forward to watching him develope as a Cyclone the next couple of years. Oh well. I can't really blame him for moving on in today's environment. Wish it was different and soon to be different than it is today.

Some regulation would be nice.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Seems this NIL fuse was lit years ago when coaches and assistants (esp FB) started making insane amounts of money. And prior to that the TV networks tossing out insane amounts of money. And prior to that the sports merchandise companies (esp Nike) tossing around huge amounts of money. Oh and along the way higher education itself jacking tuition through the roof and luring alumni to donate massive sums of money for a brick. Gosh the whole thing is just a cluster f***.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I get that...I do, but prove to me that our own athletic department is 'making' big profits other than funding what we presently have or need to keep up in the future? You get to a bowl game, you spend more to fund it. Then you spend more to keep the coaches salaries relevant. Then you improve faciities to be able to attract the athletes in the first place, etc. Just a snowball effect.
So our parking went up this year, ....why? I assume because they are using that money to fund what they have to or need to. Surely they aren't 'making money' off of us because we're 4-star fans and should get some NIL kickback.
We had 17 MM in reserves to pay off the Covid losses.

Cyclones125

May 3, 2016
I remember seeing an article several years ago that only 25ish schools make a positive net revenue in the athletic department. Iowa State was one of the few schools who, at the time, had profit in both mens basketball and football.

JP noted that Athletics came out of 2021 with a $17 mil deficit. So, is there something I'm missing that leads to athletic departments raking in money?

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
That's not NIL.

NIL is not pay for play. Nobody from any university is paying kids let alone from the general fund.

It’s def pay to play from traditional boosters though.

99% of this is just going to be paying players to play rather than the rare Zion Williamson getting real big endorsement deals.

Cam Newton got paid 250K to win Auburn a national title. NCAA was cool with it because they paid his dad’s “church” and Cam lied he didn’t know about it.

Now they can just give that player the 250k directly in the open and compete for pro players in the open.

Maybe they ask Cam Newton to wave his hand and do a tv commercial and maybe they don’t. There’s no need to prove they’re utilizing his likeness and even if there were it takes 1 second to post one pic on instagram.

aeroclone

Oct 30, 2006
It’s def pay to play from traditional boosters though.

99% of this is just going to be paying players to play rather than the rare Zion Williamson getting real big endorsement deals.

Cam Newton got paid 250K to win Auburn a national title. NCAA was cool with it because they paid his dad’s “church” and Cam lied he didn’t know about it.

Now they can just give that player the 250k directly in the open and compete for pro players in the open.

Maybe they ask Cam Newton to wave his hand and do a tv commercial and maybe they don’t. There’s no need to prove they’re utilizing his likeness and even if there were it takes 1 second to post one pic on instagram.

Bingo, this is just removing any risk from the bag man scenario. These kids aren't getting a big payday because their NIL is worth that much, they are getting paid by boosters to buy wins for the program. Tyrese Hunter isn't recognizable enough to anyone to be worth anything. Maybe he is worth a couple thousand for a TV ad for Applebee's or a car dealer in Central Iowa, but that is about it. He isn't worth 5 or 6 figures for anything in North Carolina for sure, where basically nobody would even know who he is.

For all but a handful of lottery pick level MBB and football players, any significant money is totally pay to play. None of them actually have that level of market value from their likeness. College sports is too segmented and regional for these guys to have major value like the big endorsers in the pro leagues.

Last edited:

DGC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 16, 2018
Maybe we need to recruit Elon Musk to the Cyclone Fanbase. Let's see if we can show him what an awesome gamely experience we have. 13 scholarship players in basketball. A million each would hurt Elon less than if a dime fell out of my pocket.

Gink

Apr 23, 2007
It’s the Wild West right now in college athletics. NCAA crapped the bed on NIL. Wouldn’t be surprised to see lawsuits in the near future.
Not sure if the NCAA is to blame for NIL. It was the supreme court that rule college athletes could control their NIL.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Money Talks and BS walks as they say...If I were Tyrese, before I took one red cent I would talk to a real good Tax Attorney or CPA and find out how much Tax Liability I will have with the FEDS & THE IRS.

I have tangled with the IRS and have been investigated by 9 different agencies of the Federal Govt, and I can tell you ITS NO DARNED FUN GUYS!!

I have to ask - What the hell did you do?

• Agree
Reactions: Cycsk and CyBobby