STANZ: Thoughts on Tyrese Hunter's transfer, ISU and an NIL collective and more

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Well, from the outside looking in there doesn't seem to be any other obvious reason why he would want to transfer. He just won freshman of the year in the best conference in college basketball, went to the sweet 16 and had a star making performance along the way. So of the main reasons a player would transfer:
1. Playing time/role
2. National exposure
3. Relationships with coaches/teammates
4. Money

The only possible explanations are relationships and money, and no one has reported him having problems with anyone on the staff or team, so that just leaves money.

We don't know any of those really - especially #3. It's all speculation, but that's what twitter and message boards are good at, right?

EnkAMania

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 31, 2013
Seattle
I like the idea of playing right away after transfer, but not getting paid for a year. Of course, probably no way to police that.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
First of all please be nice about this, no need to insult Tyrese. I just don’t understand why you could be the star pg on some good Iowa state teams or you could be the 3rd best player at Kentucky or North Carolina or wherever he goes. Just feel like it would like more sense to stay here but oh well. Good luck to him in the future
Money Talks and BS walks as they say...If I were Tyrese, before I took one red cent I would talk to a real good Tax Attorney or CPA and find out how much Tax Liability I will have with the FEDS & THE IRS.

I have tangled with the IRS and have been investigated by 9 different agencies of the Federal Govt, and I can tell you ITS NO DARNED FUN GUYS!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Well, from the outside looking in there doesn't seem to be any other obvious reason why he would want to transfer. He just won freshman of the year in the best conference in college basketball, went to the sweet 16 and had a star making performance along the way. So of the main reasons a player would transfer:
1. Playing time/role
2. National exposure
3. Relationships with coaches/teammates
4. Money

The only possible explanations are relationships and money, and no one has reported him having problems with anyone on the staff or team, so that just leaves money.
Wouldn't YOU leave for $500,000? If I were poor with an uncertain future in the nba....I WOULD LEAVE!

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
Appreciate and like a lot about your article, Jared. But 1 thing I don't necessarily agree with, at least the way its worded or came across to me anyway, is that just HOW are athletic departments and schools themselves 'making tons of money' off these athletes? Yes stores sell more shirts and tickets when they win, but to me everything we as donors and fans pay for goes towards paying coaches, keeping coaches, keeping athletic programs afloat for the non-major sports, paying workers, upgrading facilities, projects, and just plain making ends meet. I don't think at all that an ISU athletic budget is raking in all this hidden money because we're taking advantage of our athletes name, image, and likeness.
Sidenote: I'm not against players getting compensated; not critical of athletes wanting to transfer or better themselves, but I am against free agency with no parameters, which even the pros have.

Reactions: acoustimac

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
i can tell you he absolutely put feelers out there to see what he could get...did he love it here? no idea, i know he had posted several times how boring Ames was maybe didnt like Ames???

Focus Town isn't for everyone, apparently.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
Money Talks and BS walks as they say...If I were Tyrese, before I took one red cent I would talk to a real good Tax Attorney or CPA and find out how much Tax Liability I will have with the FEDS & THE IRS.

I have tangled with the IRS and have been investigated by 9 different agencies of the Federal Govt, and I can tell you ITS NO DARNED FUN GUYS!!

what the **** are you doing that you've even been looked at 9 times by the government that closely? lmao

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
Appreciate and like a lot about your article, Jared. But 1 thing I don't necessarily agree with, at least the way its worded or came across to me anyway, is that just HOW are athletic departments and schools themselves 'making tons of money' off these athletes? Yes stores sell more shirts and tickets when they win, but to me everything we as donors and fans pay for goes towards paying coaches, keeping coaches, keeping athletic programs afloat for the non-major sports, paying workers, upgrading facilities, projects, and just plain making ends meet. I don't think at all that an ISU athletic budget is raking in all this hidden money because we're taking advantage of our athletes name, image, and likeness.
Sidenote: I'm not against players getting compensated; not critical of athletes wanting to transfer or better themselves, but I am against free agency with no parameters, which even the pros have.

ISU athletics gets tens of millions from B12, who gets it from TV networks and deals, who gets it from advertisements, which make money because there are people watching the product on the TV (players being good at sports).

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
If keeping star players is up to ISU fans/boosters we are boned. Especially true with no caps.

I mean, we whine about posting 7.95 a month to watch dozens of basketball games. Myself included.

Jamie showed the numbers, but there's what, 30000 members of the Cyclone Club? Even if we all give 100 bucks a year, that's $3MM,for all the breece halls, Brock purdys, kolars, hunters, etc.

We all band together, hold hands, sing kumbaya, and create this fund to keep our best players around. But then Phil Knight just says 'that's cute' and cuts a check for $4MM.

I feel like it'll get much worse before getting better. Hopefully it's not too late.

ComCY

Oct 31, 2016
If this is some big misdirection by Iowa State and the media that would bother me much more than Hunter leaving.

To the OP, do you have any sources, even if anonymous, that say Hunter is leaving for the money? or are you just making an assumption just like everyone else?

We don't know any of those really - especially #3. It's all speculation, but that's what twitter and message boards are good at, right?

You guys are throwing around insane dollar amounts that he is in no way going to receive.

yes, premium info has gone over most of this.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
yes, premium info has gone over most of this.
I would love to see where he is getting that kind of money. Everyone said the same thing when Isheem Young entered the portal and the dude went to ole miss and got a $450 pair of jeans.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
Yes, but if you aren’t with your teammates and working out with the school, you aren’t exactly dedicated to that school.

And maybe he’s been in Ames. I’d like to know for sure. But based on his social media and any of the stuff the rest his teammates put out, it seems like he hasn’t been around much.
It happens.

Cydkar

Apr 12, 2006

His tax liability will be less than what he earns. He will be fine.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
ISU athletics gets tens of millions from B12, who gets it from TV networks and deals, who gets it from advertisements, which make money because there are people watching the product on the TV (players being good at sports).
I get that...I do, but prove to me that our own athletic department is 'making' big profits other than funding what we presently have or need to keep up in the future? You get to a bowl game, you spend more to fund it. Then you spend more to keep the coaches salaries relevant. Then you improve faciities to be able to attract the athletes in the first place, etc. Just a snowball effect.
So our parking went up this year, ....why? I assume because they are using that money to fund what they have to or need to. Surely they aren't 'making money' off of us because we're 4-star fans and should get some NIL kickback.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
NIL is going to kill the sports programs in both football and basketball for a lot of schools below the top 20/30. Kids that you think are going to be great in a few years, have a decent season and then big buck schools and boosters will be throwing dollars their way to enter the portal and come to my school.

Before it was all underground, and if a player left, after getting money from a Kansas or Arizonia, it was about playing time, and neither side wanted it to get out that the player was bought and paid for by a booster. Now with NIL, one good season, and a player will be fielding offers to move up the food chain to a better school and cash in on the opportunity. Great for them, but it's going to kill most of the schools that cannot afford $100,000 sugar daddies with money willing to burn.

allfourcy

Apr 26, 2012
I would love to see where he is getting that kind of money. Everyone said the same thing when Isheem Young entered the portal and the dude went to ole miss and got a $450 pair of jeans.
How would anyone know how much Young will receive? We aren't ever privy to any of that type of information.

Reactions: Marcelason78

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
How would anyone know how much Young will receive? We aren't ever privy to any of that type of information.
Because when players sign NIL deals, especially big ones its news. The school wants it known for promotion and usually whoever is ponying up the money wants it known too. Its excellent marketing for the school and NIL funder. Now that everything is above board there is no reason for it not to be shared.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I get that...I do, but prove to me that our own athletic department is 'making' big profits other than funding what we presently have or need to keep up in the future? You get to a bowl game, you spend more to fund it. Then you spend more to keep the coaches salaries relevant. Then you improve faciities to be able to attract the athletes in the first place, etc. Just a snowball effect.
So our parking went up this year, ....why? I assume because they are using that money to fund what they have to or need to. Surely they aren't 'making money' off of us because we're 4-star fans and should get some NIL kickback.
Look at coach (and AD) salaries over the last 5/10/20 years. Where is that money coming from? Now do facilities projects. There are a lot of people that have been getting a lot of money for years, and it’s not the ones that have been generating it.