STANZ: Thoughts on Tyrese Hunter's transfer, ISU and an NIL collective and more

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
What it will come down to for me is a decision to donate to 'the collective' or to the ISU AD. Kind of a weird 'either or', but here we are.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
What evidence have you seen that he’s leaving because of money? I know that’s the wide speculation, but I haven’t seen anything concrete from anybody. Everyone is just making assumptions.

Well, from the outside looking in there doesn't seem to be any other obvious reason why he would want to transfer. He just won freshman of the year in the best conference in college basketball, went to the sweet 16 and had a star making performance along the way. So of the main reasons a player would transfer:
1. Playing time/role
2. National exposure
3. Relationships with coaches/teammates
4. Money

The only possible explanations are relationships and money, and no one has reported him having problems with anyone on the staff or team, so that just leaves money.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
GC said on twitter that NOBODY should assume that he is leaving for money. TH was in the tweet.

It’s to the benefit of Iowa State (TJ) to push the idea it’s only about the money.

I do think we want to be careful about assuming anything. I’m guessing a big reason is the money. But IF it’s true he hasn’t been in Ames since the season ended, there could be other factors.

cyclonepower

Oct 5, 2006
WDM
It’s to the benefit of Iowa State (TJ) to push the idea it’s only about the money.

I do think we want to be careful about assuming anything. I’m guessing a big reason is the money. But IF it’s true he hasn’t been in Ames since the season ended, there could be other factors.
does it even matter now?

• Agree
Reactions: TheHelgo

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006

I had not seen that he was not in Ames. That doesn't mean he hasn't been taking classes online. Many athletes do. Heck many students do now.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
does it even matter now?
If this is some big misdirection by Iowa State and the media that would bother me much more than Hunter leaving.

To the OP, do you have any sources, even if anonymous, that say Hunter is leaving for the money? or are you just making an assumption just like everyone else?

• Dumb
Reactions: isu83

acoustimac

Jan 8, 2009
Lamoni, IA
This entire thing angers me beyond belief. Everyone says how good NIL is. Well folks…those poor kids were getting full ride scholarships that included access to premiere athletic facilities, top notch academics, food, clothing, etc. Does the school profit because of them? Yes and no. Yes they profit AFTER the player has become successful at the time and expense of the university.

There have been many amazing inventions that have come from grad student work at ISU. Those students are likely on an academic scholarship, but still pay all their own bills like housing, food and clothing. The university makes money from those inventions (like the fax machine) as does the student. Guess who owns the patent on most of those items? The university (And sometimes the student as well).

Why the comparison? Athletes get the best of anything offered to any student at Iowa State. Yet, when they gain fame after being developed and promoted by the university, all of a sudden it’s not enough. They want more. Ok, like with academics, perhaps a percentage of university profits made from their name should go to them. Cool. But to be able to sell your services to the highest bidder (another university) after USING the system that helped get you where you are at is unethical at best. This isn’t the professional work world. It’s higher education. As Stanz said, If it were the work world they would be under contract and there would be anti-compete clauses in those contracts.

College sports has just become the Wild West with zero administrative oversight and the highest bidder wins…every time.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I had not seen that he was not in Ames. That doesn't mean he hasn't been taking classes online. Many athletes do. Heck many students do now.

Yes, but if you aren’t with your teammates and working out with the school, you aren’t exactly dedicated to that school.

And maybe he’s been in Ames. I’d like to know for sure. But based on his social media and any of the stuff the rest his teammates put out, it seems like he hasn’t been around much.

Gerbs

Aug 31, 2013
If this is some big misdirection by Iowa State and the media that would bother me much more than Hunter leaving.
So everyone on the board heard a player not in the transfer portal was being offered massive NIL.

“Don’t believe it” “not true” etc

Now everything rumored was true but definitely not NIL bc of George Conditt. Haha

Clonepackof1

Jan 5, 2010
Cedar Rapids
This is such a great piece. Thanks for the honest thoughts Stanz.

Division 1 athletics as we knew it is over, at least for the revenue sports.

Over the years as I have listened to the arguments for and against paying players, I always had two thoughts:

1. It is wildly hypocritical for the NCAA, and administrators/coaches, to argue against it given that they were making millions on the product of which players were the key raw material. In almost every business, the people cost is your top two or three expense line. Not so for the NCAA...

2. Advocates for paying players - be careful what you wish for. Only a handful of players can command the real money. It should have become apparent to anyone watching those old arguments play out that the same handful of players would eventually make their way to the richest schools. What will be the ramifications of that?

"Blueblood" or super conferences would emerge. Those conferences will get even more massive contracts from TV and other exposure entities (streaming, apparel, etc). The "even more" money will come at the expense of lower conferences, just like players moving "up" at the expense of the lower conferences. Forget what this will do to mid-majors - this will decimate any non-"Blueblood" conference, including the Big12, Big East and perhaps the Pac12 once they lose a couple members to the next newly formed conference.

And here's the other thing. Is this really good for all of the kids that get "paid"? If I'm Tyrese Hunter and I'm making a decision based on dollars alone and assuming that it isn't retirement sized money, what if he doesn't develop into an NBA talent because the coach isn't as good? What if he can't get the minutes? Now, may have taken today's money at a cost of millions more down the road. There's a reason why college coaches don't make it in the pros - trying to manage 12 professionals and their individual needs is not easy. And none of those kids wants to be a role player on those teams. How will they handle that? There's a reason why Roy, Coach K and others got out as this mess started unfolding, and others will follow. This is an unmanageable situation and the average tenure of a college coach will be more akin to NBA/NFL coaches than college dynasty-types.

It is what it is, but the NCAA has managed to kill the golden goose. It just doesn't know it's dead yet.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
If he’s worried about being bored in Ames then it’s ok if he finds a different place that’s more exciting for him. It’s better for everybody.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
@JStanz51 What do you think about an NCAA-supervised system of registered agents to help players negotiate their NIL deals? If something isn't done quickly to protect against nefarious agents, I could see non-registered agents paying high school freshman $1000 to sign over their rights. Or worse, wannabe players paying the agents because they promise to get them NIL deals. It is one thing to let player benefit from NIL, but quite another to leave 18 year olds (or 14 year olds) to negotiate it all by themselves.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
What evidence have you seen that he’s leaving because of money? I know that’s the wide speculation, but I haven’t seen anything concrete from anybody. Everyone is just making assumptions.
As my brother says: It's never not about money. I don't blame Hunter. He represented ISU well, and he was a good player. If someone is going to wave $50K+ or so at a kid that has really never had much, than I would question why he wouldn't at least look at it. Sucks for ISU, but NIL is pretty much the end of college athletics for teams like ISU. Teams like OU will want the Clones around, because you have to play someone, but NIL just puts teams like ISU in a greater disadvantage than before.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I could also see a group of players forming their own collective to share whatever NIL they get.

CySmurf

Jul 14, 2011
Watch...an NIL stipend will be added to all student's tuition around a number of universities... if they want to be a student at that University, then they'll have to pony up the money. Good God there needs to be regulation on this...it will get completely out of hand.

Reactions: Gunnerclone

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Watch...an NIL stipend will be added to all student's tuition around a number of universities... if they want to be a student at that University, then they'll have to pony up the money. Good God there needs to be regulation on this...it will get completely out of hand.
That's not NIL.

NIL is not pay for play. Nobody from any university is paying kids let alone from the general fund.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
I may not be remembering exactly but I recall statements by the incoming freshmen and transfers how they were connecting with Hunter and how their "game" would really fit in with his. Wonder if they will be having second thoughts? This combination of NCAA throwing their hands in the air and creating NIL, transferring cesspool and super conference probably controlled by ESPN, FOX, NBC, NBA, NFL, agents etc etc will end up with a few haves and a lot of havenots.

• Winner
Reactions: CyBobby

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
That's not NIL.

NIL is not pay for play. Nobody from any university is paying kids let alone from the general fund.
Honestly I'm not sure people have a good understanding of what NIL is or even how much money is actually being distributed given the comments on the other thread.

• Winner
Reactions: 1UNI2ISU

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron