Ames, IA
Just let the thoughts flow.

Cyclones8824

Cyclones nation. Let’s ride
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 16, 2022
Ankeny
First of all please be nice about this, no need to insult Tyrese. I just don’t understand why you could be the star pg on some good Iowa state teams or you could be the 3rd best player at Kentucky or North Carolina or wherever he goes. Just feel like it would like more sense to stay here but oh well. Good luck to him in the future

globogym6

Jan 12, 2019
I agree with Jared’s note on the NBA playoffs. T-wolves Grizzlies Saturday afternoon was a great game.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Great stuff here from Stansbury. I’m not giving any money to this “collective”. I invite you all to do the same. I’m happy for ISU to be the Cubs of college sports. I had a lot of fun rooting for the Cubs while they sucked or were mediocre.

“WITH THAT SAID, it really freaking sucks that the fans have to foot the bill for this while schools and athletic departments continue to rake in money hand over fist.

The fans have to buy the tickets. The fans have to make donations to the Cyclone Club. The fans have to pay for their parking. The fans have to pay for yearly subscriptions to whatever streaming service is carrying games.

If you don’t do those things, you don’t have any access to your favorite teams.

Now, you’re expected to do the job of making sure there’s enough money to make the roster competitive, too.”

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Great stuff here from Stansbury. I’m not giving any money to this “collective”. I invite you all to do the same. I’m happy for ISU to be the Cubs of college sports. I had a lot of fun rooting for the Cubs while they sucked or were mediocre.

Honestly as somebody who roots for the Royals I've seen them have great success but mostly it's sucked and you can buy 6.00 tickets anywhere in the stadium for any game.

I don't want to see that for ISU.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
I think all NIL monies should be diverted into football. All monies really.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby

WITH THAT SAID, it really freaking sucks that the fans have to foot the bill for this while schools and athletic departments continue to rake in money hand over fist.

The fans have to buy the tickets. The fans have to make donations to the Cyclone Club. The fans have to pay for their parking. The fans have to pay for yearly subscriptions to whatever streaming service is carrying games.

Now, you’re expected to do the job of making sure there’s enough money to make the roster competitive, too.”
Gunner, I finally found something you and I agree on.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
I wonder if "system" programs will be more successful (relatively) going forwards? Since the loss of an elite player on a system program is a little less impactful. Since there's another guy in the program who knows what to do, just isn't as talented.

mynameisjonas

Jan 19, 2019
Just let the thoughts flow.

What evidence have you seen that he’s leaving because of money? I know that’s the wide speculation, but I haven’t seen anything concrete from anybody. Everyone is just making assumptions.

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
This “collective” discussion just makes me think of the Borg collective. Maybe the College of Engineering can make it so.

Reactions: ABECyguy

Gossamer

Apr 10, 2014

“WITH THAT SAID, it really freaking sucks that the fans have to foot the bill for this while schools and athletic departments continue to rake in money hand over fist.

in a million ******* years, I'll never contribute to a collective of this sort. I'm a Detroit Lions fan...we can suck for the next 40+ years and I'll still be a Cyclone fan...but it's frustrating it's come to this.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012

I don't think that's a good comparison at all.

The Chicago Cubs have consistently been one of the most valuable franchises in baseball year after year; they were more or less inept due to terrible management.

If you don't want to donate to "the collective," then don't! You're allowed to do that with your money.

The cubs sucked because the people in charge sucked. The Cubs were still talked about, still valued, and still had a HUGE following and fanbase.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010

I made that point in the other thread. It really didn't occur to me until this weekend that this all falls on the fans while the situation for athletic departments really doesn't change that much.

jmb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 12, 2006
What evidence have you seen that he’s leaving because of money? I know that’s the wide speculation, but I haven’t seen anything concrete from anybody. Everyone is just making assumptions.
GC said on twitter that NOBODY should assume that he is leaving for money. TH was in the tweet.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I know the NIL topic has been beaten to death but it's basically going to be the end of enjoying college athletics as a fan as we currently know it. Gone will be the days of getting to become emotionally attached to a group of guys for 4 years because if they are too good they likely will transfer out for more NIL $ and if they aren't getting enough playing time they are probably going to transfer out to go somewhere where they will.

I already catch enough heat for the money I already spend on season tickets for FB and BB along with the parking and costs that go with tailgating or eating somewhere on gameday. Ticket prices and donor levels keep going up, we aren't a wealthy fan base so at some point we will hit a price level where people will just choose not to buy season tickets or support at the level they were at. I know I certainly will be one of those at some point possibly as because as much as I enjoy attending games and seeing us competitive I also have 2 kids that will need to go to college some day, a mortgage, 2 cars, and plenty of other expenses in my budget too and when push comes to shove you can bet athletics is not going to be high on the list of things that get priority in the budget.

I'm not completely against players getting paid with NIL but I wish there were some restrictions to it like capped at a certain dollar amount or something. They already get a full ride scholarship, room and board, and an expense stipend which is more than most college students will ever come close to sniffing. Getting paid 6 or 7 digits on top of that for some players we may as well just turn college athletics into professional sports instead of amateur at this point. With the transfer portal we now have free agency. Just saddens me that the college game is going down the path of becoming basically a semi-pro league and won't feel that same anymore as long as the big $ interests are going to put their thumb on the scale.

Help Support Us

Become a patron