Stanford Reinstating Wrestling

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
It is good news, but how much of their roster will they have to replace from guys who portaled out?

stuclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 5, 2013
Ames, IA
It is good news, but how much of their roster will they have to replace from guys who portaled out?

I doubt any of the big names stay in the transfer portal. There's a reason Griffith and Real Woods hadn't announced where they were going yet. They were waiting to see if it would get reinstated at Stanford before finalizing the transfer

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
I doubt any of the big names stay in the transfer portal. There's a reason Griffith and Real Woods hadn't announced where they were going yet. They were waiting to see if it would get reinstated at Stanford before finalizing the transfer

Hopefully that's the case. I'd hate to see them get this reprieve, only to have to start over.

cyclonenation5

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 12, 2013
Ames
I thought I read on Flo that they hadn't officially lost any guys in the portal, but that their coach left for American.

DantheFan

Feb 10, 2010
I thought I read on Flo that they hadn't officially lost any guys in the portal, but that their coach left for American.

I'm pretty sure this is accurate. It will be interesting to see who steps into the coaching role...That's one athletic department I would definitely not want to work for as the coach of a "minor" sport.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
I'm pretty sure this is accurate. It will be interesting to see who steps into the coaching role...That's one athletic department I would definitely not want to work for as the coach of a "minor" sport.

I wholly disagree with the last part. Stanford funds 36 varsity sports. Even with the proposed reduction of 11 (now fully rescinded) they would have been at 25. That's way more than ISU.

In spite of this bad press, Stanford is overall the hands down BEST place to coach a "minor" sport.

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017
I wholly disagree with the last part. Stanford funds 36 varsity sports. Even with the proposed reduction of 11 (now fully rescinded) they would have been at 25. That's way more than ISU.

In spite of this bad press, Stanford is overall the hands down BEST place to coach a "minor" sport.
The number of sports you have does not necessarily indicate anything about the support you receive from the AD just like the number of employees you have does not mean it's the best place to work (ie Walmart). I have immediate family that was an assoc. HC of a minor sport at Stanford a few yrs ago and they are extremely happy they are not caught up in that anymore. And, all I will say, is there is more going on there than you think which is why a $12 million endowment didn't save wrestling in the first place.

Land Grant

Oct 30, 2006
The number of sports you have does not necessarily indicate anything about the support you receive from the AD just like the number of employees you have does not mean it's the best place to work (ie Walmart). I have immediate family that was an assoc. HC of a minor sport at Stanford a few yrs ago and they are extremely happy they are not caught up in that anymore. And, all I will say, is there is more going on there than you think which is why a $12 million endowment didn't save wrestling in the first place.

Still disagree. I write from a place just as informed as you, but my sense is totally different. Stanford is supporting athletes in a number of D1 varsity sports that is unmatched by anyone else (in this day and age). They have won the director's cup so often they just as well own it. Stanford athletes predominate among US Olympic medalists.

Finally, Stanford had the guts to change course and reinstate these 11 programs. What other university AD has done that? Iowa? ISU? IMO, Stanford is one of the few places where the operations of the AD and that of the university are still bound together--rather than the AD being a mostly independent, self-serving enterprise.

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
Still disagree. I write from a place just as informed as you, but my sense is totally different. Stanford is supporting athletes in a number of D1 varsity sports that is unmatched by anyone else (in this day and age). They have won the director's cup so often they just as well own it. Stanford athletes predominate among US Olympic medalists.

Finally, Stanford had the guts to change course and reinstate these 11 programs. What other university AD has done that? Iowa? ISU? IMO, Stanford is one of the few places where the operations of the AD and that of the university are still bound together--rather than the AD being a mostly independent, self-serving enterprise.
I have no knowledge, or dog in this hunt. But, Stanford may have more $ than any P5 school. When you are flush with cash, many things get easier.

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Welp. Just announced they have pulled Rob Koll away from Stanford to be their coach. Total WOW hire.

Koll was apparently fed up with the Cornell admin/Ivy League with how they handled Covid.

Reactions: stuclone

ST8TAILG8R

Jul 10, 2017

Operation Varsity Blues

Have you seen this? Watch it and let me know how you feel. I have often wondered why Stanford had so many sports anyway?

theshadow

Apr 19, 2006
So the Pac-12 just now figured out that more wrestling teams is a good thing?

"To support the growth of Pac-12 wrestling, the Conference recently adjusted some of its wrestling policies, including the following:
  • The Conference eliminated a restriction that capped the number of wrestling affiliates to the minimum number needed to keep NCAA AQ status."

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
So the Pac-12 just now figured out that more wrestling teams is a good thing?

"To support the growth of Pac-12 wrestling, the Conference recently adjusted some of its wrestling policies, including the following:
  • The Conference eliminated a restriction that capped the number of wrestling affiliates to the minimum number needed to keep NCAA AQ status."

Why don't they work on getting their full-time members to reintroduce their wrestling programs? Wouldn't that really bolster wrestling in the Pac-12?

Reactions: Sturge34 and buf87

Help Support Us

Become a patron