Spring Football Preview: The defense

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Highly unlikely I would think. He's more effective in the interior anyways. @ Iowa State we have a history of turning DEs into DTs. I can't remember a situation where they ever went back to DE.

Especially since we brought in maybe 4 JUCO DEs and no DTs.

State43

Nov 22, 2010
Omaha, NE
Did anyone ever get the story on what happened with Charlie Rogers?

That has been very hush. My guess is, he wanted out for whatever reason. My guess is he wants to play corner and ISU wanted him to play a safety position. I think Tribune winning the spot as a true frosh was pretty telling.

cycloneted

Apr 19, 2006
Des Moines
At the CF recruiting party, a defensive coach told a friend that if he had to pick one guy on the team to walk down a dark alley with him, he'd pick Kane Seeley. That sold me on him!

GWad

Aug 22, 2013
CPR said this morning that Coe and Irving are OUT this spring with shoulder injuries -- You may want your list to be only 2 Chris

clone4life82

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Ankeny
Maybe I missed something but whatever happened to Luke Knott? He showed promise as a Freshman before he went down to injury. Thought if he added some bulk he could be really good.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Maybe I missed something but whatever happened to Luke Knott? He showed promise as a Freshman before he went down to injury. Thought if he added some bulk he could be really good.

Elected to have season ending hip surgery. Will miss spring but will be back for NDSU.

UNIGuy4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2009
Per the presser, Coe and Irving sitting out the spring due to shoulder surgeries.

NickTheGreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 17, 2012
Central Iowa
I'm more worried about the secondary this year. I do think Tribune is a helluva player, so we'll just have to see

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Ayeni was recruited to possibly play inside.

You're wrong. Kinda. :wink:

In a quote, it was mentioned that Ayeni could play either end, or as a tackle in pass rushing situations. The :tackle" part got completely blown out of proportion by people who were hoping for another tackle in the class.

For example, the exact same thing was said about Pierson. And in the comments on cyclones.com today, CPR mentioned that Mitchell Meyers had also played some inside in pass rushing seasons last season.

So, feel free to read that any way you please. At the moment, I'm reading it as Ayeni will mostly be playing end.

I do, however, half expect that at least one of those JC ends will either redshirt--or (hopefully not) not qualify.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron