Spencer Tillman in love with the Oklahoma State Defense, hates our team

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I can't be the only one listening to the fox sports broadcast on Saturday that heard Tillman heaping praise upon Oklahoma States defense for being "so much more athletic" than their Iowa State counterparts. I feel like 1) he was usually referring to their d line vs our o line more often than not, but wouldn't it be fairly typical for a d line to be more athletic than an o line? And 2) I feel like as an Oklahoma native and big 12 football player during a very dark era of ISU football, he may come from a place of bias and was making blanket statements. "Iowa State was unathletic in 1987 so they must still be unathletic in 2020."

It didn't ruin the game for me, and we have certainly had worse analysts cover our games for the networks, but for him to go out of his way to say it at least 3 if not 4 times, that Okie State is "too athletic" for Iowa State just irked me.

Did anybody else notice this, and if so, is he right or am I about him being biased and annoying? I'd like to think the athleticism gap between us and OSU is not that drastic.

• Agree
Reactions: Statefan10

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I can't be the only one listening to the fox sports broadcast on Saturday that heard Tillman heaping praise upon Oklahoma States defense for being "so much more athletic" than their Iowa State counterparts. I feel like 1) he was usually referring to their d line vs our o line more often than not, but wouldn't it be fairly typical for a d line to be more athletic than an o line? And 2) I feel like as an Oklahoma native and big 12 football player during a very dark era of ISU football, he may come from a place of bias and was making blanket statements. "Iowa State was unathletic in 1987 so they must still be unathletic in 2020."

It didn't ruin the game for me, and we have certainly had worse analysts cover our games for the networks, but for him to go out of his way to say it at least 3 if not 4 times, that Okie State is "too athletic" for Iowa State just irked me.

Did anybody else notice this, and if so, is he right or am I about him being biased and annoying? I'd like to think the athleticism gap between us and OSU is not that drastic.
I felt the same way and yes I heard it. OSU sure scraped by a highly un-athletic team if that was the case..

Did you hear when one of the commentators said that there's no reason for us to run a 3 d-line look and there would be no way we'd be successful that way? I mean don't get me wrong there are times when it's not as successful as it should be but Heacock's done a hell of a job using that scheme. We gave up 24 points and forced 2 turnovers for God's sake lol. Just goes to show that those guys didn't know what they were talking about fully.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm with you. There wasn't much love for the Clones. When they complained about the 3-man d-front, you could tell they haven't been paying attention to ISU recently.
That is a pain point for every analyst that covers us, and they love to drone on about it especially when it isn't working/ generating enough pressure on the QB. FULL CONFESSION TIME: I wish we could be multiple in our looks defensively, because there are times, like Saturday, when a 3 man front just isn't gonna get it done. Sanders didn't have to worry about much.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
That is a pain point for every analyst that covers us, and they love to drone on about it especially when it isn't working/ generating enough pressure on the QB. FULL CONFESSION TIME: I wish we could be multiple in our looks defensively, because there are times, like Saturday, when a 3 man front just isn't gonna get it done. Sanders didn't have to worry about much.
While true, he only threw 1 TD on broken coverage and we forced two interceptions. That's pretty darn good.

intrepid27

Oct 9, 2006
Marion, IA
I know the pandemic presents a lot of challenges but I've been disappointed in most football broadcasters this year, not just the ones doing our games. It seems like they know very little about the teams and individual players except what they read in the media guide and maybe observe during the game.

Last edited:
  • Winner
Reactions: Cytown12 and Lineup

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I agree, but he did manage to get loose a few times with his legs. Not sure if they just lost contain on him or what, but feel like that is a flaw of a 3-4, or 3-3-5
That is true and I was disappointed we didn't spy Sanders the whole game.

• Winner
Reactions: Snydes

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville

He was probably talking about the perimeter and he would be 100% right.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I like Spencer Tillman usually. He was raving about Iowa State's D the night we upended West Virginia in Ames. Has always been complimentary of our fans, Jack Trice, Campbell, etc - I have no issue with him.

Him praising OSU's D is not necessarily constantly picking on our offense. To me, when we have a 3 TE set in there, the Oklahoma State D is much more athletic and faster! (hence 3 TEs)

That is exactly why I wish we would ditch the 3 TE sets sometimes, especially when we need to pass! Yes that is Monday morning qb'ing the performance, but lets be real - the last drive when we drove down the field and scored a touchdown to get it to a 3 pt difference, we were up tempo, more receivers in the game. I hope I'm not the only one thinking this.

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
I like Spencer Tillman usually. He was raving about Iowa State's D the night we upended West Virginia in Ames. Has always been complimentary of our fans, Jack Trice, Campbell, etc - I have no issue with him.

Him praising OSU's D is not necessarily constantly picking on our offense. To me, when we have a 3 TE set in there, the Oklahoma State D is much more athletic and faster! (hence 3 TEs)

That is exactly why I wish we would ditch the 3 TE sets sometimes, especially when we need to pass! Yes that is Monday morning qb'ing the performance, but lets be real - the last drive when we drove down the field and scored a touchdown to get it to a 3 pt difference, we were up tempo, more receivers in the game. I hope I'm not the only one thinking this.
You're not. I rewatched the game and we were in 3 TE sets on almost every single early down. Gotta mix it up more. I look forward to hopefully seeing that against KU!

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

No kidding. ISU held Okie State to 24 points. ISU also missed two field goals and could've easily had 27 points. Iowa St's D is just as good as OSU's.