Spencer Jones

Clonefan32

Nov 19, 2008
You don't think the bloody nose and being shoved in addition to that will be enough?

A little research on my end shows that Oklahoma does have stand your ground laws, which may make this enough for him.

Here's what I found for a code section:

A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony. 21 O.S. § 1289.25(D)

So I guess it doesn't come down to the duty to retreat in Oklahoma, but more it comes down to whether he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm. That's where I think his case becomes tough, because with a bloody nose and a little shove I'm not sure you can say that force was necessary to "prevent death or great bodily harm."

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
A little research on my end shows that Oklahoma does have stand your ground laws, which may make this enough for him.

A person who is not engaged in an unlawful activity and who is attacked in any other place where he or she has a right to be has no duty to retreat and has the right to stand his or her ground and meet force with force, including deadly force, if he or she reasonably believes it is necessary to do so to prevent death or great bodily harm to himself or herself or another or to prevent the commission of a forcible felony. 21 O.S. § 1289.25(D)

So I guess it doesn't come down to the duty to retreat in Oklahoma, but more it comes down to whether he reasonably believes it necessary to prevent death or great bodily harm. That's where I think his case becomes tough, because with a bloody nose and a little shove I'm not sure you can say that force was necessary to "prevent death or great bodily harm."

You're really downplaying the bloody nose and "little" shove. You think he should've just taken that and walked away. Not knowing, of course, if the guys who gave him the bloody nose and the shove wouldn't attack him from behind as he tried to leave.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale

I Appreciate the legal angle you’re providing here. What does a harassment claim or something of that nature do in this situation.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
If he is getting sued, he should go to the police and demand that assault charges be filed against the OU player and his friend. See how anxious he is to sue when he is facing a criminal record. Assault can stick in this case if they hit him causing him to bleed and were still shoving him afterward. Heck even what he was saying could be construed as assault.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and Gonzo

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
Look at the size difference, you either walk away or incapacitate the them. You let them stay in the fight and it could go the wrong way fast.

Gonzo

Mar 10, 2009
Behind you
If he is getting sued, he should go to the police and demand that assault charges be filed against the OU player and his friend. See how anxious he is to sue when he is facing a criminal record. Assault can stick in this case if they hit him causing him to bleed and were still shoving him afterward. Heck even what he was saying could be construed as assault.

Agree. Weird how some think him getting a bloody nose and shoved is no big deal. But he's wrong to defend himself by punching back and taking the guy down.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
If he has a bloody nose, and getting shoved, theres a chance he feels like he could get jumped from behind as soon as he turns for the door.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I would say he did not get excessive. It's not the UFC with a ref. When you are in a bar fight you have to win and go hard if nobody is stepping in. If you allow the guy back up and back off, a lot of guys will restart the fight now that they are not getting beat. Every fight I have been in with the exception of one was broken up and there was a little blood. One I had the guy down. Thought I did enough and stopped, dude got back up and started throwing again. I think part of the problem these days is people not breaking the fight up. Usually you kind of do a hockey fight type situation. When someone get's the upper hand and lands a few, people should jump in and stop it.

Why were you/are you getting in so many fights?

Reactions: JP4CY and Fishhead

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway
Last edited:

06_CY

Apr 11, 2006

Must be a thing in Norman, OK to "hang out" by urinals... Boom!

What, you don't? It's what the cool people do. Not creepy at all.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
Not allowed? By who? Some organizational rule or code? That’s goofy. Conner McGregor would like a word....and I’m pretty sure Mike Tyson hit a cat or two first.....

The legal system. I wasn’t a professional boxer but did win the Iowa Golden Gloves in 1982. That same year I just finished boot camp in San Diego and I got into a fight with a big Marine. I put him in the hospital for over a week. I went to captains mast and the ONLY thing that saved me was he threw the first punch. It was specifically mentioned that I shouldn’t be fighting but I could protect myself. He then stated not to use excessive force next time.

CychiatricWard

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 27, 2017
Des Moines
I spent 6 years in the Marines. We were pretty highly charged up when I was young. A lot of times it was my buddys getting into it and unwritten rule in the Marines, if your buddy is fighting, you are probably fighting as well.

I just don't understand fighting, I guess, when not to save your own life. I see so many over-aggressive dudes being angry all the time at the bar and ready to start **** with anyone. It's honestly funny to me how many guys are like that. When I go to the bar, I go to drink and hang with my friends, not get in fights with strangers because I am feeling macho. And I'm not some tiny guy, either, I just think it is hilarious how often it happens. To each their own, I guess.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
I just don't understand fighting, I guess, when not to save your own life. I see so many over-aggressive dudes being angry all the time at the bar and ready to start **** with anyone. It's honestly funny to me how many guys are like that. When I go to the bar, I go to drink and hang with my friends, not get in fights with strangers because I am feeling macho. And I'm not some tiny guy, either, I just think it is hilarious how often it happens. To each their own, I guess.

That all happened when I was younger. Ill explain a little better. When you spend weeks in a field, shooting rifles, blowing stuff up, doing the most manly type of aggressive behavior. Then you are turned lose with Alcohol on the on base bars or off base bars with a bunch of other highly charged individuals. Things go the wrong way. It's hard to explain. I know a crap load of Marines that when they say "We are going to war". Get extremely excited to go fight. I have not been that way for over 20 years. However, the mind set from when I was younger it made sense to me. Now I look at these types of fights and say "What are these morons doing". I guess I grew up.

farm85

Mar 23, 2016
Flekkefjord, Norway

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
Both the mma guys kind of suck on their feet. Makes sense they wanted to take them down so quickly. Fun watching a couple of d-bags get what they deserved.

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
The legal system. I wasn’t a professional boxer but did win the Iowa Golden Gloves in 1982. That same year I just finished boot camp in San Diego and I got into a fight with a big Marine. I put him in the hospital for over a week. I went to captains mast and the ONLY thing that saved me was he threw the first punch. It was specifically mentioned that I shouldn’t be fighting but I could protect myself. He then stated not to use excessive force next time.
I work in LE, I know of no local, state, or federal statutes that say this. What you’re talking about is opinion, not law.

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA

Using the "threat" of criminal charges to deter a civil suit is murky legal territory. Hope hes being advised by a good lawyer.

cymac2408

Jul 4, 2013
Urbandale IA
I do realize there aren’t any laws. However, it is something that is taught while training that your hands are now considered weapons. It is also hard to change peoples mindset on what they believe. A jury of your peers may have a preconceived notion that you shouldn’t be fighting due to your advantages.