Speed trap Cameras in Strawberry Point?

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
Most small towns seem to be contracting the county sheriff's department these days which is more economical than having a full time police staff and the overhead that comes with running their own police station too. With most cameras these days I always say show us the data that proves the camera is needed because they always say its about safety but in a lot of cases the data after the camera is installed shows very little reduction in accidents in the areas they were installed at.

This is little off topic but maybe still relevant about cities contracting out stuff like this. Grimes which is like the 3rd fastest growing town in the state right now doesn't even have it's own police department, they contract their law enforcement through Polk County Sherriff so it's not even small towns going this route either. Funny thing about that is for the amount of growth Grimes is seeing not only do they not have their own police they share their fire department with Johnston and a recent report just came out that the Grimes fire station is in dire need of replacement (see their Facebook page if you want to see more on this.) Yet the city is building a $12 mil library, just agreed to take on a $20 mil sportsplex that originally was going to be privately developed, and also set to break ground on a splashpad but back in 2019 when they were pushing to pass the local option sales tax increase funding a new fire station was part of their campaign to get that passed and they still have not approved a plan to do that yet and have been told it would take 2 years from approving a plan to getting a new station up and running. Want to talk about messed up priorities... a town the size of Grimes growing at the rate it is and public safety doesn't seem to be too high in the pecking order for funding lately while other expensive project and developments continue to get approved.

Those are all very valid arguments and I would be infuriated if I lived in Grimes. Thankfully I live in Marion that just opened a new fire station in the part of the city that has experienced the most growth and in a location that it can relatively easily get across the city by multiple routes.

Reactions: CYdTracked

carvers4math

Mar 15, 2012
Yes, as @Macloney has pointed out in this thread, they are a violation of due process. They are basically voluntary fines. The camera operator doesn't want it to go to court and have it tested vs the constitution. So there isn't much they will do to try and collect.

*I am not a lawyer and this is not legal advice, only my opinion*
I think the Iowa Supreme Court at least agrees with you that you are not a lawyer.

• Agree
Reactions: JayV and wxman1

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I don't have an issue with speeding tickets or parking tickets, is that the question?
Do you think it's fair to penalize the owner of a car for speeding even if he or she wasn't in the car?

It's a valid opinion if you do. I would disagree but I'd understand your reactions to my posts that way.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Do you think it's fair to penalize the owner of a car for speeding even if he or she wasn't in the car?

It's a valid opinion if you do. I would disagree but I'd understand your reactions to my posts that way.

Do you think it's fair to penalize an owner for a parking ticket even if he or she didn't park the car?

It's the responsibility of the owner to know what is being done with the car. If you can't trust the driver to not speed, then don't give them your keys.

• Dumb
Reactions: Ozclone

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames

Was the car stolen? If so then I would not think it was fair.

• Dumb
Reactions: Ozclone

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Do you think it's fair to penalize an owner for a parking ticket even if he or she didn't park the car?

It's the responsibility of the owner to know what is being done with the car. If you can't trust the driver to not speed, then don't give them your keys.

How far does the owner of the car's responsibility to know extend? Accidents happen. If the driver strikes another vehicle or a pedestrian is the owner of the car at fault?

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Was the car stolen? If so then I would not think it was fair.
What if it wasn't stolen? What if the driver of the car had the owners consent to use the vehicle? Is it still the owners fault and is it still the owner who should be penalized?

wxman1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 2, 2008
Cedar Rapids
What if it wasn't stolen? What if the driver of the car had the owners consent to use the vehicle? Is it still the owners fault and is it still the owner who should be penalized?

Should the owner take responsibility for who they loan their car to? Should the owner not be penalized if drugs are found in their car after they loan it out?

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Put in a speed bump. They seem to work.

A) someone's still going to ***** about their freedoms to hit whatever they want whenever they want at their own chosen speed. The person using the crosswalk legally or riding their bike legally were in the way and it's their fault because the speeding driver just has to say they were being 'personally responsible'.

B) young drivers and the guy who's still mentally in high school would have a field day ramping the thing.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
If you really care about getting rid of these cameras, do a little research before you vote on who supports them and who doesn't. I can tell you right now that Brad Zaun puts up a bill nearly every year to outlaw them. I can tell you that Tony Bisignano loves them.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
If you really care about getting rid of these cameras, do a little research before you vote on who supports them and who doesn't. I can tell you right now that Brad Zaun puts up a bill nearly every year to outlaw them. I can tell you that Tony Bisignano loves them.
A thinking person would look at the make up of the state legislature and realize this is a lie. If there was appetite to outlaw it would be.

• Agree
Reactions: carvers4math

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
Should the owner take responsibility for who they loan their car to? Should the owner not be penalized if drugs are found in their car after they loan it out?
I may be wrong (we've already covered that I'm not a lawyer) but I believe the penalty for drugs being found in the car would be "possession" and yes, the possessor is the person to punish.

If the penalty is speeding, then I believe the speeder is the person to punish.

But yes, a vehicle owner should make responsible decisions about who to loan the car to. I'm just not convinced that extends to legal liability for something like speeding, or having an accident. There are exceptions such as if you loan the car to someone who is intoxicated at the time.

Reactions: Macloney

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
A) someone's still going to ***** about their freedoms to hit whatever they want whenever they want at their own chosen speed. The person using the crosswalk legally or riding their bike legally were in the way and it's their fault because the speeding driver just has to say they were being 'personally responsible'.

B) young drivers and the guy who's still mentally in high school would have a field day ramping the thing.
A) That someone is wrong
B) Maybe so

In either case, park a police officer at that location and give the driver the appropriate citation/ticket/punishment.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
A) That someone is wrong
B) Maybe so

In either case, park a police officer at that location and give the driver the appropriate citation/ticket/punishment.

That someone thinks being wrong is perfectly fine.

Parking a police officer will elicit a similar response.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
There is a large amount of drivers who like to light their brakes up when they stop and/or stop about 10 foot past the normal stopping point so it looks like they are just going to blow through it. Had a lady last night that about made me do that because she rode about 20 foot behind me the whole way and when I would tap my brakes beforehand to warn I'm stopping at this stop sign, she would just get closer yet.

If I'm in the right mood I'll just bog down a bit and make them suffer.

Actually it helps them to control their speed and space a bit.

*if they're paying enough attention.

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
How far does the owner of the car's responsibility to know extend? Accidents happen. If the driver strikes another vehicle or a pedestrian is the owner of the car at fault?

Insurance companies certainly find the owner responsible. The policy follows the car and not the driver.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
But Zaun is a huge douche pickle. Don't speed, won't get a ticket, idiots. Risk it and maybe you get busted.

• Haha
Reactions: tbone