Speed cameras in NE IA

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
Just dropping in with a quick reminder to get a dash cam if you don't already have one. It won't help with the speeding tickets but for the other tickets talked about in this thread (running the stop sign, passing on double yellow) it may come in handy. They're pretty cheap nowadays and easy to install. Definitely cheaper than a $340 ticket for a stop sign violation.

If you can show you slowed down to a near stop, maybe not all wheels locked, it may help in either getting it dismissed or reduced. The passing on double yellow, if you can show the overall situation and that it may have actually been safer to get around that vehicle than continue being an obstacle/sitting duck on the road, it may help.
Also, stopping at stop signs is free, so that's an option as well.

• Agree
Reactions: ISUAlum2002

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona
Don't pay it. In the state of Iowa they cannot report it to a credit agency, and you can tell anyone who calls you to go F themselves because they have zero legal footing to support them.

Almost all of these cameras are provided by service companies who own and operate them for the city / county. Their contract says the company will will get XX% of whatever ticket their equipment issues, even if the ticketed person DOESN'T PAY.

If everyone collectively stopped paying those tickets, the county / police will continue to have to pay the company their share of the tickets issued.

This concept isn't unprecedented.

I was thinking that you couldn't renew your drivers license with one of these outstanding but maybe that was a regular traffic ticket

If you're going to fight it because you don't want the ticket on your record, make sure to request the calibration records of the device that cited you the ticket. Better yet, get a traffic attorney.

If it's just about the money, then pay it. To appear at a dispute it would be, what? 10 hours of your time and 400 miles of driving on your vehicle (with a chance of getting another speeding ticket :p)

If it's about the principle, F the man. These speed cameras and red light cameras enforcing traffic laws are a racket. The city of Chicago had plenty of sketchy behavior around their camera implementation. They'll always say it's about public safety until they get called out on doing things to increase revenue. Secretly lowering yellow light timings below their stated level of 3 seconds? No, that's not to ticket more people running reds. It was to prevent the most dangerous of crashes, obviously. Then why would they not fully disclose the shortening of the yellow time?

I thought that the whole 6th Amendment thing would have put the kibosh on camera enforcement long ago.
"In all criminal prosecutions, the accused shall enjoy the right ... to be confronted with the witnesses against him"
The cameras are only the tool, of course. So it's the company that installed, set up, calibrates, and maintains the tool that would be the witness I presume.

The calibration defense doesn't really work when they grant you 10 mph leeway.

Generally for these types of things I look to the famous attorney Fletcher Reede:

liar-liar-jim-carrey.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Gorm

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
Why?

A governmental entity in the state of Iowa cannot report these types of tickets to a credit agency per the Iowa AG.

In fact, Cedar Rapids got caught trying to do their own thing with this and got called out on it:

Until you try to sell or refinance your house and it's listed as an $70 judgement against the deed when the attorney does the abstracting. Seen it with my own eyes multiple times here in Des Moines.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
CR provides a month update
in January
9,140 speeding tickets
35% out of state
29% outside Linn County
27% CR resident
9% Linn County outside of CR

53% were contested

30% of those were dismissed

January is a slow month. Normally around 15k tickets/month

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

Gorm

With any luck we will be there by Tuesday.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
Until you try to sell or refinance your house and it's listed as an $70 judgement against the deed when the attorney does the abstracting. Seen it with my own eyes multiple times here in Des Moines.

Seems like a good lawyer would make that go away pretty quickly.

Bestaluckcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2009
So where is/are the camera(s) in West Union? I have to go there periodically because my mother is in the nursing care center. No use adding more cost to the trip.

dafarmer

Mar 17, 2012
SW Iowa
I got dinged this week for passing on a double yellow. I live in Kansas so the roads are flat. This road I drive to work is 8.8 miles long with double yellows the whole way..in the country to boot. Anyway, I get behind someone who was lost or looking for something because they about came to a stop at every home we came upon. After a couple miles and about 10 cars piled up behind him I passed on a flat section of road with no one coming. One of the 10 cars behind me was a cop. So if I get behind someone driving 2 miles an hour on that road by law I have to follow 8.8 miles? Stupid!
Stupid people live in Kansas.

• Dumb
Reactions: Macloney

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
At 3 times the cost of the original ticket, and at that price they probably aren't "good".

The more I think of this, the more I think its just more BS to get people to pay the fines.

A creditor would have to put the judgement on the house for the payment owed. This act is currently not allowed by state level entity's in the state of Iowa per the AG.

Even the threat of a court challenge would likely make that go away quickly.

How often did you say this happens? I'm searching Google for past instances where this has happened to see what legal precent is out there. I'm not finding anything.

Also, the info I am finding is that in almost ALL cases creditors have to win a lawsuit in order to legally put a judgement against your property.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
So where is/are the camera(s) in West Union? I have to go there periodically because my mother is in the nursing care center. No use adding more cost to the trip.

This one was on 150 on the south side of town, near Moss Roofing. Not that I checked Google Earth street view to see how close it was to changing to a 45 mph zone or anything.

I think there is actually 1 more, but I'm not sure on location.

Reactions: Bestaluckcy

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Johnson PD pulled me over at the top of that hill where Merle Hay and Beaver ends. I thought I must have been speeding because it was the only remote thing I thought they stopped me for.

Nope, turns out I didn't "come to a complete stop" at the intersection even though there was nobody else around for miles.

Ok, that's fine, 50 bucks and I'll go home, nope, $340 dollars. I would have been better off going 50 in a 35 through there.
Lots of bs injustices in the world, pay your ticket and move on.
If there was truly nobody around for miles he never would have seen you fail to stop.

Tell him to come and sit by the stop sign at the corner of our lot. There are people that seem to try to see how fast they can blow through that intersection without stopping. Sometimes it is quite a trick since it is a T intersection so they have to turn right or left.

ClonesFTW

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 13, 2013
Waukee
The more I think of this, the more I think its just more BS to get people to pay the fines.

A creditor would have to put the judgement on the house for the payment owed. This act is currently not allowed by state level entity's in the state of Iowa per the AG.

Even the threat of a court challenge would likely make that go away quickly.

How often did you say this happens? I'm searching Google for past instances where this has happened to see what legal precent is out there. I'm not finding anything.

Also, the info I am finding is that in almost ALL cases creditors have to win a lawsuit in order to legally put a judgement against your property.

I'm not an attorney so I don't have a clue on the legality of what has to happen - just stating my experience in seeing these small traffic tickets listed as judgements on title searches.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If there was truly nobody around for miles he never would have seen you fail to stop.

Tell him to come and sit by the stop sign at the corner of our lot. There are people that seem to try to see how fast they can blow through that intersection without stopping. Sometimes it is quite a trick since it is a T intersection so they have to turn right or left.
There is an intersection on the Iowa/Minnesota border that is a T on the state line and a south blacktop T'ing in. There is a top sign on the east west road and the right turn north or left turn south has the right of way instead of the straight shot.

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
This one was on 150 on the south side of town, near Moss Roofing. Not that I checked Google Earth street view to see how close it was to changing to a 45 mph zone or anything.

I think there is actually 1 more, but I'm not sure on location.
The other one is up by the high school on the north side of town.

Reactions: Bestaluckcy

Gorm

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 6, 2010
Cedar Rapids, IA
I'm not an attorney so I don't have a clue on the legality of what has to happen - just stating my experience in seeing these small traffic tickets listed as judgements on title searches.

Gotcha, no problems. :)
I've done quite a bit of research into this topic in the past and about the only "consequence" that I can find, is that they can withhold Iowa state tax refunds. However, even that was being challenge in court at one point. Not sure what ultimately happened there though.

So, basically if you have to pay taxes to Iowa, they are screwed in any avenue.

Clark

Jun 24, 2009
Altoona

That's what it was, I knew I was checked to see if I had any outstanding tickets last year but couldn't remember why. It was when we bought our new house (I didn't have any)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron