Special Teams Coordinator

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
With improved special teams in 2022 we would have won at least 6 games and been bowling for the 6th year in a row, but that's not what happened and special teams was a disaster for the ISU football team, once again. So, for the hell of it, lets pretend Campbell hires a special teams coordinator this off-season - which I think is a very likely scenario. We have 3 open coaching positions; Strength coach, OL coach and essentially a third opening we can be open to something new with. The strength coach is what it is, the OL coach is what it is - and usually OL coaches aren't also a special teams coordinator, so that leaves us with our third open coaching position. Right now Scheelhouse is the OC/WR/RB coach, so ideally we would hire a special teams coordinator that would also coach WR's or RB's and take one of those positions away from Scheelhouse.

I don't know who all Campbell is connected to so I'm going to toss out some names that I could potentially see being options for us.

1. IMO, my #1 guy would be Brian Haines from App State. He's from WV but had spent a good majority of his career in Ohio so he could be connected to Campbell somehow. He's currently the special teams coordinator and RB's coach at App State.

Named a 2021 candidate for the Broyles Award that goes to the nation’s top assistant, Haines coached a running back group that helped App State extend its FBS-leading streak of consecutive years with a 1,000-yard rusher to 10 and directed a special teams group that included kicker Chandler Staton, who received first-team All-America recognition, and Jalen Virgil, who had two kickoff returns for touchdowns.

App State ranked 16th nationally in overall special teams based on the Fremeau Efficiency Index (FEI) that combines kickoff return, kickoff, punt return, punt and field goal efficiency into one overall rating.

App State’s two leading backs (Nate Noel, Camerun Peoples) both rushed for more than 900 yards while ranking No. 2 and No. 3 in rushing yards per game in the Sun Belt, and that came a year after the Mountaineers were the only FBS team in the country to have four running backs rush for at least 500 yards.

2. Adam Scheier brings 26 years of collegiate coaching experience into 2022, including the last 22 working with special teams. Prior to coming to Temple, Scheier spent two seasons as Rutgers' special teams coordinator. The Scarlet Knights ranked 7th in the ESPN Special Teams Efficiency Ratings in 2020 and improved to No. 4 in 2021.

This guy has been a stud everywhere he's been and has coached WR's and RB's before but it's been a little while. He most recently has been a ST Coordinator while working with the TE's at Temple.

3. Erik Link - he's a Drake graduate and has been on the ISU staff before. He's currently the Special Teams coordinator and TE's coach at Mizzou and has coached Andrew Mevis's brother (who is an All American Kicker) the last few years. He was also previously at App State where their special teams units were very impressive.

Under Link's guidance, Appalachian State ranked in the nation's top 30 in numerous special teams categories, including a national-best seven blocked kicks (five kicks/two punts), without allowing a single blocked kick or punt. The 2019 Mountaineers also ranked in the following special teams categories: punt return coverage (15th NCAA/1st Sun Belt – 3.65 avg.), kickoff returns (16th NCAA/1st Sun Belt – 24.4 avg.) and kickoff return coverage (28th NCAA/3rd Sun Belt – 18.91 avg.).

It would be in ISU and Campbell's best interest to fill the third coaching position with someone who could not only take a position group away from our first year OC, but also someone who could double as a special teams coordinator because the coaching-special-teams-by-committee approach he's tried, isn't working. Also, not shockingly, the teams with the top 9 special teams units in 2022 all have special teams coordinators. Make the right move, Matt!

MyNameEhJeff

Apr 2, 2021
21 Jump Street
I hate to break this to you- It's not happening. Move on
Didn’t someone also say on here Campbell wasn’t going to make any changes to the staff, and they too were wrong?

We won’t know until the positions are filled whether or not he’ll hire a special teams coordinator but I think bringing John Bonamego on staff last year could have been Campbell’s attempt to skirt around having a special teams coordinator and that experiment clearly didn’t pan out.

Also, I said “let’s pretend” in the OP so, go on n git if you’re against having fun!

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola
I'm not going to get hung up on if it is a coordinator or not, but someway, somehow, A LOT more emphasis needs to be put onto special teams.

It most certainly costs us a perfect conference season/Big 12 Championship in 2020 as well.

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
Didn’t someone also say on here Campbell wasn’t going to make any changes to the staff, and they too were wrong?

We won’t know until the positions are filled whether or not he’ll hire a special teams coordinator but I think bringing John Bonamego on staff last year could have been Campbell’s attempt to skirt around having a special teams coordinator and that experiment clearly didn’t pan out.

Also, I said “let’s pretend” in the OP so, go on n git if you’re against having fun!
In addition to a new ST coach - i'm actually hoping we have new kickoff returners and punt returner next year.

My vote would be let Greg Gaines, the incoming speedster from Minnesota, or Darien Porter give it a go. We got zero juice this past season from punt returns or kickoffs.

Worse than that, the punt returner hurt us in field position by pretty regularly letting punts roll 10 yards plus behind him instead of fair catching it.

Oh - and find a better kicker as well.

CT clone

Aug 10, 2020
Pete Lembo - currently South Carolina after being at Memphis and several other schools where they immediately get better in ST’s in all phases is who should be targeted. Earns $460k now from what I saw. But, guessing that won’t happen, my best case scenario is name Jake Waters as RB Coach and ST Coordinator and send him to talk with Lembo and Snyder’s kid to pick their brains and give him the reigns. That way Matt stays in-house but with a much more directed approach.

Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

Kurttr

Mar 19, 2006
I'd love to see the hire. Would show recognition/acknowledgment of the reality that ST is a huge portion of the game. Has been a glaring weakness the entire tenure. Hire an ST coach and a RB or WR coach and have OC do the other. On D, have Heacock figure out how to take on a position too or have one secondary coach take all DBs. Much more confident that Heacock can figure that out than that continued light touch to ST will begin to work (definition of insanity...???).

Reactions: MyNameEhJeff

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
Have we had a ST coach since CMC has been here? If the answer is no, then I doubt CMC hires one.
We had one for a year or two, he started off as a grad assistant or something like that then was promoted to ST’s, similar to Mouser who worked with the TE’s for a few years before being promoted to TE coach. But then the ST’s coach was poached by Alabama and is now in the NFL coaching.

Obviously we have guys working with ST’s, even if they don’t have the official title.

RustShack

Chiefs Dynasty
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 27, 2010
Overland Park
We had one for a year or two, he started off as a grad assistant or something like that then was promoted to ST’s, similar to Mouser who worked with the TE’s for a few years before being promoted to TE coach. But then the ST’s coach was poached by Alabama and is now in the NFL coaching.

Obviously we have guys working with ST’s, even if they don’t have the official title.
Here was our last one-

Joe Houston enters his third season coaching in the NFL and third season with the New England Patriots in 2022 after spending 2019 with Alabama as a special teams analyst. Prior to joining the Crimson Tide, Houston spent three years at Iowa State as a quality control coach in 2016-17 and as special teams coordinator in 2018.

danielyp29

Jan 3, 2011
Ames
Shane Burnham was the ILB and ST coordinator under Rhoads, when Kirby VanDerKamp had a 100% 4th down conversion percentage, but I see he's at FSU and that's his home.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
So do we keep the special teams analyst we hired last year along with this new coach?

Also does anyone know how the vote went on allowing analysts to coach during practice, went? I thought I read that was happening last week.