SPECIAL: On Allen Lazard's fight to make the Green Bay Packers

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Nice read!

As a Green Bay fan I have been watching the offseason closely. Not sure if they will keep as many WRs as they did under McCarthy so it may be hard for him to make the 53. That said, there is probably 1 spot for about 5 guys... I think he is probably 3rd or 4th our of those 5, but who knows? Maybe he is higher....

If they keep 6 and / or he moves up a spot or two he could make it. I hope he does. It would be fun having a Cyclone in Green and Gold.

Also, he is right about Ames and Green Bay... only difference is the championships. Hope Campbell can change that!

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'd say Moore isn't going to make the cut leaving Lazard and Shepherd battling for the 6th and final roster spot. Shepard's is a traditional slot giving him the edge, but AL looked really good on specials so he may push Davis for his WR/ST spot which he's held for a couple years now. Right now I'd say he's 50/50 which is better than he was a couple weeks ago.

Five locks are.
Adams obviously
Allison AR very comfortable with
MVS 6'5" 4.4
St Brown 6'4" 4.3 both can blow the top off the secondary
Kumerow poor man Jordy that works and works and works.

Last edited:

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
He would have a better change to make it under the previous regime. They carried 7 WR's to start last year, Lots of 3-5 WR sets last season.

The new coach will be a running a system like the San Fransisco 49ers run. Outside zone blocking scheme. Alot more use of the TE's and FB vs spread out with lots of WR's. Think Atlanta Falcons offense a couple years ago, the year they made the SB under Kyle Shanahan when he was the OC.

The thing Lazard does have going for him is he was picked up from the new GM Gutenkunst vs being picked up under Ted Thompson. Alot of Ted Thompson's players have been shown the door already. Gutenkunst likes big Tall WR's and will even use them in the slot vs the smaller speedier ones.

• Informative
Reactions: NWICY

wheels686

Oct 25, 2006
Grinnell, IA
Also, Locks at WR are: Davante Adams, Geronimo Allson, Equinemous St Brown, Marques Valdes-Scantling & Jake Kumerow.

You probably have the rest fighting for the 6th spot if they take 6 WR's

Trevor Davis: Who is also the KR on the team/PR.
Allen Lazard
J'mon Moore- Last years 4th Rd Pick at WR
Teo Redding

HGoat1

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 25, 2018
Denver, Colorado
Also, Locks at WR are: Davante Adams, Geronimo Allson, Equinemous St Brown, Marques Valdes-Scantling & Jake Kumerow.

You probably have the rest fighting for the 6th spot if they take 6 WR's

Trevor Davis: Who is also the KR on the team/PR.
Allen Lazard
J'mon Moore- Last years 4th Rd Pick at WR
Teo Redding

I'd throw Shepherd in there as well. He's had a really nice camp and is also a PR/KR. I'd say Lazard is probably behind Davis, Moore, and Shepherd for the last spot. Probably a practice squad candidate. Put out some nice tape already this preseason, so he might get a shot with another team.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I’m probably just overly optimistic and I haven’t looked into their roster reality but I’m optimistic for Lazard. I think that he makes it from what I’ve heard from the coach. I think they really like his effort and see him as a great team guy. I also think they see him as the versatile player that we did where other teams didn’t.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC
I'd throw Shepherd in there as well. He's had a really nice camp and is also a PR/KR. I'd say Lazard is probably behind Davis, Moore, and Shepherd for the last spot. Probably a practice squad candidate. Put out some nice tape already this preseason, so he might get a shot with another team.

Agree. I think right now shepherd and Davis are probably ahead of him. But I hope he passes them up. Moore was a 4th round pick... but that is the only reason he would make the team at this point. I really don’t think they keep 6 WRs which will be the main issue. I think the top 5 are going to be really hard to break into at this point. But injuries happen and if there is not a 4th RB worth keeping they may end up at 6... then I think he has a shot.

ZB4CY

Dec 17, 2012
I thought I saw a quote the other day praising Lazard for his special team play. If thats how he can stand out and make the team, then perfect.

Cyientist

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 18, 2013
Ankeny
What money does he get for being where he is now? If he makes the cut, how much?

Last year I think he earned around $7,600/wk during the regular season for being on the Jax practice squad. The league minimum with 1 yr of NFL service is $570,000. Looks like unsigned free agents earn a stipend in the neighborhood of $1,000-$2,000 a week in the preseason depending on yrs in the league.

Take those with a grain of salt, it was some quick searching.

Edit:
https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-bay-packers/allen-lazard-25483/

Upon further review, I didn't realize that the Packers signed him to a non-guaranteed deal and will earn $495,000 if he makes the team this year. I'm not sure if that gets him more money this preseason or not.

Last edited:

JRE1975

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 12, 2006
Lakewood Ranch, FL
From what I can find is he will make $495,000 this year and it based on the contract he received when he was signed to the Green Bay 53 man roster at the end of last year.

I don't have any idea if it is guaranteed for this year or not.

He seems to be getting a lot of publicity for someone people don't expect to make the team.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron