Spaghetti Works

iowajazz

Nov 25, 2006
Johnston, IA
Spaghetti Works is good, especially if you have kids. It's cheap and it's lots of food. Christopher's in Beaverdale is a nice place with good drinks and lots of options. HuHot is fun for the family. If you are going Japanese I would go with Taki in Clive. Good sushi and good table show too.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
So ... McDonalds? That's about the only place I've been brave enough to visit with the kids recently.

We take our kids to Boston's in West Des Moines. The place really isn't that great, but it is LOUD. They can carrying on and on and no one seems to notice.

AIT

May 29, 2008
Johnston, IA
Another great Italian place that I don't think has been mentioned is Cosi Cucina on 86th. Great atmosphere and awesome food at a reasonable price. One of my favs in Des Moines.

+1
That's the wife and I's default special occasion restaurant. Sadly, I wonder if that place is slowly dying since everyone seems to want to go downtown or way out west.

I've seen Gino's mentioned a few times, and I don't get it. I ate there once and had some of the worst food I've ever had.

Covenant Clone

Aug 30, 2006
Clive
Quote: That's the wife and I's default special occasion restaurant. Sadly, I wonder if that place is slowly dying since everyone seems to want to go downtown or way out west.

I really hope that isn't the case...the owner is great and the place has fabulous food

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Don't waste your money at Centro's that is for sure. It is the most over-priced and over-rated place in DSM.

Couldn't disagree more. It's been a while since we've been down there - but the food is fantastic and the services is excellent as well.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Also, I do enjoy Spaghetti works. It isn't amazing or anything, but for a fun, decent, bountiful and cheap meal, you can't beat it downtown.

dmclone

Oct 20, 2006
I like HuHot as well but I see it more as a lunch place than some place to go for dinner.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
HuHot was average at best for a lunch place.

Centro has fair prices and a nice atmosphere. I do however like the one in Davenport much better

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
I like HuHot as well but I see it more as a lunch place than some place to go for dinner.

HuHot was average at best for a lunch place.

Centro has fair prices and a nice atmosphere. I do however like the one in Davenport much better

Can someone tell me how lunch and dinner at HuHot is really any different (unless you're ordering from the menu, which I've never done)?

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
Ive only been once..

Just didn't seem like an atmosphere I would want to eat dinner at. Way too crowded and average food.

HILLCYD

Nov 22, 2006
Ive only been once..

Just didn't seem like an atmosphere I would want to eat dinner at. Way too crowded and average food.

Agreed, it is a good place, but I don't love it for dinner.

That being said, sounds like I am going there for dinner tonight.

ISUFan22

Apr 11, 2006
Denver, CO
Well yes, it is very crowded for dinner.

Another one of my favorite places, Texas Roadhouse, also crowded for dinner. Seems like every night, weekday or weekend - that place is busy.

Call ahead seating rocks, though. :)

cybsball20

Nov 26, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Well yes, it is very crowded for dinner.

Another one of my favorite places, Texas Roadhouse, also crowded for dinner. Seems like every night, weekday or weekend - that place is busy.

Call ahead seating rocks, though. :)

I loved Roadhouse I just can't deal with the crowd there anymore, especially when I can get a bigger, better steak for the same price at Iowa Beef... Now only if they had those rolls....

Help Support Us

Become a patron