South Dakota vs Iowa State

C.John

Pondering Phobophobia
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
With Bridget and Adriana on the bench in the first half and Em hurt in the second, the freshman were called upon to play a lot of minutes today. Rae I thought played pretty darn good filling in for Em.

runbikeswim

Oct 23, 2014
I think the frosh played hard, kudos to them, and boy, with Middleton next year, and adding Ashley....holy cow, the sky is the limit.

This year has a lot of potential, but it is clear, team plays best when both Em and Bridget are out there together. I really hope Em is okay.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

mj4cy

Asst. Regional Manager
Staff member
Mar 28, 2006
Iowa
Good to see the ladies win. How good is SD supposed to be?

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
Just watched the interviews and first time I heard Camber. I am always impressed with people who are fluent in various languages and can speak them without any accent or with an "American" accent. Same as when I heard Didi Gregorius for the first time, guys speaks like five languages and didn't land here until he was an adult.

bosco

Dec 21, 2008
Des Moines
Missed the 4th QT. From what i saw looks like a lot more depth than Bill usually has. Young team, exciting to see how far they can develop and combine that with the new recruiting class future looks bright.

NenoFone

Feb 12, 2013
WDM
Just got home, huge tie-up on I-35 south.
Wow, the Refs were bad, for both teams.
Camber has a sweet shot
Johnson looked great
What can you say about Carlton that hasn't been said.
Coach said Durr "tweaked" her knee
The bigs were inconsistent, glad were have 4 to choose from.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
As mentioned on the first page, they return most of their NIT team from last year. They were 77 RPI last season, only 17 below us. This is a game we certainly should have won, but they were no pushover.

Not the usual NC team we are supposed to beat by 30. And another good game coming next with NCAA tourney UNI on the road. Throw in Iowa in Hilton and Drake in Des Moines and the NC does not suck this year.

Last edited:

Buster28

Dec 3, 2011
Ames
I think it's safe to say that this year's team will live and die by how the freshman play. Carleton cannot do it all herself every day (although she nearly did it all herself in the 4th, which was amazing to watch). I think it was good to have as decent a team as South Dakota for the first game because it kind of forced things to gel more quickly than if we'd played some 300 rpi program right away.

That being said, I again liked what I saw from the newbies. Bride is going to have to work to get herself open more under the basket, especially against quick defensive teams like SD. Camber should really shine if she's allowed to actually stay on the court for more than two minutes at a time. Hopefully the fouls were more a result of the odd officiating yesterday than her actual style of play. It looked like the NCAA officials' point of emphasis this year was "blow the whistle at least once every possession." It was kind of ridiculous.

Up 10 early, down 8 in the 3rd, win by 5? Ok, I'll take that. They didn't panic when SD pulled ahead. There's just enough experience on the floor to keep the five our there collected, for the most part. I believe there's a lot of potential with this group, so it will be a waiting game to find out how good (or not) they can be over the course of the season. The Big 12 coaches picked us 4th, which is fairly lofty considering how many new faces will be a consistent part of the line-up. It's certainly within the realm of possibilities that ISU can finish that high.

mitten1975

Oct 27, 2012
I liked the team, and thought SD a pretty good team. I really hope Durr is alright, but am really impressed by the depth and shooting ability of this team. They have many young people getting minutes, and so they are going to have to learn defense, but lots of size and strength to work with here. The future looks bright.

Despite Carlton's mistakes, it was her aggression and leadership that won the game. She is going to be a load for opposing defenses this year. I really liked the aggressive attitude of the team in the fourth quarter.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

ISC

Oct 15, 2009
Iowa
I know they are late, but here's my thoughts - even though i think they have pretty much been said already:

1. Emily looked REALLY good before getting injured -> creating her own shot, hitting the mid range jumper, hitting the 3 pointers. If she misses an extended period time, that will hurt. The team just seems "calmer" when she is in the game. If it wasn't for her play in the first half, I think we lose this game.

2. I thought Bridget was pretty bad early on in the second half as she forced quite a few shots that were not there. Made up for it in the 4th quarter, but it could cost us if that happens again. She needs to have more faith in her teammates in these situations.

3. The freshmen are going to be really fun and good to watch for the next few years. I agree with the comments that Rae is going to be the starting PG at some point this season. This would be a good thing -> move Emily to SG and Bridget to SF (if you wanna put labels on positions). That could be a heck of a line up when you throw in Camber and one of the bigs.

4. I think it's going to take Bride a lot longer than we all hoped to get accustomed to big 12 play at this rate. She makes up for it in hustle and determination right now, but i am afraid that won't work come conference time.

5. To go along with #4, wouldn't surprise me if Kristin Scott is getting a lot of minutes over Meredith and Bride by the end of the season. She looks that good so far.

6. Camber continues to impress me with the improvement from last year - as pretty much everyone else who has watched a game can attest to.

7. I may be in the minority here, but does it bug anyone else how Fennelly keeps singling out Bridget in his interviews / comments to the media? I'm not questioning if he's a good coach, but this year it just doesn't seem like his comments are very "team focused" and that bugs me for some reason. This team is very talented and i feel that this kind of undermines the "team" concept.

8. I LOVE the kids day at hilton. Yeah, it sucks having to take time off work to get to the game at noon, but it is such a unique and fun atmosphere. There is a constant buzz in the arena and they cheer for everything!

I'm sure i'll think of more comments after i watch the game again.