Sonya Heitshusen was forced out at Ch 13

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Obviously if there was discrimination, I hope that comes to light, but the fact that she was a contract employee has to make fighting her departure an uphill climb, doesn't it? It's not the same as being terminated. Both sides fulfilled their portion of the contract and there was not a renewal. Legally, I would think that's pretty cut and dried. Doesn't mean I agree with it, but I'm sure this is the exact reason why television stations have onair talent sign contracts instead of a traditional employee relationship.

Yeah, unless they explicitly said, and she can prove, that it was because of one or both of those things, she has nothing. Like you said, even with it, it'll be an uphill climb.

• Disagree
Reactions: isufbcurt

67CY

Apr 13, 2006
Along with being a Hawk Homer...

I just watch 13 on the weekends... Amber, Maria, Monica, and even Megan. I usually skip the sports when chinless JS comes on.

Is it me or does Erin look really old also?
Thats who should go. Not a very good reporter - loves the giggle and chit chat

• Agree
Reactions: cycloner29

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Sonya sat in for Travis on the Morning Rush yesterday. Talked about her situation (with lawyer present) briefly in hour 2
I heard a little of that. She's claiming a pattern of systemic problems related to the station's dealings with gender, age and race. If she's got proof, it will come out, I suppose. She's claiming that they offered her another contract, but it wouldn't be on the air, or at least less on air time.

I'm admittedly conflicted on this. If your employer makes widgets, the employee making them isn't the product, the widget is. And as long as the employee can make a widget that meets specifications, then letting them go simply because they're old is not okay.

But a television news program is not a widget. Things like likeability and personality of the on air talent are definitely a factor. Talent can have bad chemistry. Things can get stale. Management may just decide to shake things up. Those are all valid reasons why someone's contract may not be renewed. It may not be the right decision, but that's all part of the game when it comes to broadcast television. Loyalty isn't really a thing, and the fact that on air talent is on contract rather than being a direct employee should be a big indicator of that.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I am confused on this a bit. If there is something wrong going on, i fully support legal action. If her contract was up, and was not being renewed, does WHO really need a reason to get rid of her? I would think that since it was the end of a contract, they could say we are not renewing her contract for no reason at all. If it was mid contract, it would be a different story.

MustardTiger

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 4, 2019
The Dirty Burger
I am confused on this a bit. If there is something wrong going on, i fully support legal action. If her contract was up, and was not being renewed, does WHO really need a reason to get rid of her? I would think that since it was the end of a contract, they could say we are not renewing her contract for no reason at all. If it was mid contract, it would be a different story.
Her claim is that because they decided not to renew her contract in its current form, but offered her a different position with no on-air time, she's being discriminated against.

Had WHO just simply not renewed her contract and walked away from her, there would be no argument (at least in this form) as far as I understand.

isufbcurt

Apr 21, 2006
Newton
Her claim is that because they decided not to renew her contract in its current form, but offered her a different position with no on-air time, she's being discriminated against.

Had WHO just simply not renewed her contract and walked away from her, there would be no argument (at least in this form) as far as I understand.

Exactly. That screams we want to keep you working but not on air with it being implied your age or looks aren't right for being on the air anymore.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
Exactly. That screams we want to keep you working but not on air with it being implied your age or looks aren't right for being on the air anymore.
Does it really imply age was a reason though? I don't know if that's apparent based on just the contract. It could also easily be explained as "Hey, we want to go in a new direction, but we know you've been here a long time, so instead of getting rid of you completely, we'd like to offer you something else.". That's fully within the rights of the station. Absent some kind of smoking gun, I don't think she has much to stand on.

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I'm still just dumbfounded how the media today still is practicing a double standard when it comes to age, sex, appearance, etc. when they have been pushing stories on these very same discrimination issues with their own reporting and news coverage. Time for them to get with the times and walk the walk not just talk the talk.

Case in point, Mollie Cooney at KCCI was in her 60's when she retired and was given a proper farewell by the station. Sonya is something like 52 right now I think and I think she actually looks younger than her age too. So are we as a society just ok if TV stations just start "phasing out" female talent when they hit their 50's? What kind of example/message is that sending for the current 20 something year old females that they currently employ? Hey we'll give you all the camera time as long as you look young and attractive but you better start thinking about what you are going to do for the last 10-15 years of your career because once you start getting some grey hairs and wrinkles we may no longer have a need for you." That is what is frustrating to me how hypocritical they look allowing men to stay on the air until they retire regardless of their looks but seems like females are not allowed the same opportunity.

I get the whole contract thing but it sounds like there is something else to it because had they just told her they were not renewing her contract and nothing else but instead apparently offered her off camera opportunities they not put themselves in a position that you can imply there was age discrimination behind the decision. On the surface it looks like they recognized her talent and didn't want to completely lose her but someone was dead set on keeping her off camera going forward and that approach is what ultimately could be their downfall if a lawsuit is filed. Just cutting ties without giving any reason or attempt to retain her in another capacity probably wouldn't have put them in this situation.

• Agree
Reactions: Acylum

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
So did she really get a lot of plastic surgery? I have heard from people in the DSM area that she had a lot of work done to look younger. She was on the same flight as I was a couple of years ago. From behind the camera to being in public there was a night and day difference and she did not look to shabby without all the makeup. It just seemed in the last year she really tried to change her look to look a lot younger.

If WHO just would have let it go with, "we are not going to renew your contract" we wouldn't have this thread. Waiting if this goes to court what other skeletons come out of the closet????

ArgentCy

Jan 13, 2010
That is blatant ageism and is supposed to be illegal. It's practiced widely in corporate America and needs to be eliminated. If you work in the private sector and hear of a reorganization coming--pay attention to who gets shown the door. It's a good bet it will be older, more experienced employees who make more money. It's a despicable practice that has gone on for years.

How else do you try to even run a business. It's pretty much impossible anymore because of comments like that.

• Dumb
Reactions: Gorm and isufbcurt

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
So did she really get a lot of plastic surgery? I have heard from people in the DSM area that she had a lot of work done to look younger. She was on the same flight as I was a couple of years ago. From behind the camera to being in public there was a night and day difference and she did not look to shabby without all the makeup. It just seemed in the last year she really tried to change her look to look a lot younger.

If WHO just would have let it go with, "we are not going to renew your contract" we wouldn't have this thread. Waiting if this goes to court what other skeletons come out of the closet????

I don't know about the plastic surgery part but it's not uncommon anymore for on-air personalities to get some work done as they get older I guess. I think a lot of her transformation physically was from her making drastic lifestyle changes after her drunk driving incident and training to do the iron man triathlons which takes a lot of dedication to get yourself in shape physically to have the endurance to complete it. I think her and Erin also kind of started up their own fitness thing on social media too a few years back that had a good following.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I'm still just dumbfounded how the media today still is practicing a double standard when it comes to age, sex, appearance, etc. when they have been pushing stories on these very same discrimination issues with their own reporting and news coverage. Time for them to get with the times and walk the walk not just talk the talk.

Case in point, Mollie Cooney at KCCI was in her 60's when she retired and was given a proper farewell by the station. Sonya is something like 52 right now I think and I think she actually looks younger than her age too. So are we as a society just ok if TV stations just start "phasing out" female talent when they hit their 50's? What kind of example/message is that sending for the current 20 something year old females that they currently employ? Hey we'll give you all the camera time as long as you look young and attractive but you better start thinking about what you are going to do for the last 10-15 years of your career because once you start getting some grey hairs and wrinkles we may no longer have a need for you." That is what is frustrating to me how hypocritical they look allowing men to stay on the air until they retire regardless of their looks but seems like females are not allowed the same opportunity.

I get the whole contract thing but it sounds like there is something else to it because had they just told her they were not renewing her contract and nothing else but instead apparently offered her off camera opportunities they not put themselves in a position that you can imply there was age discrimination behind the decision. On the surface it looks like they recognized her talent and didn't want to completely lose her but someone was dead set on keeping her off camera going forward and that approach is what ultimately could be their downfall if a lawsuit is filed. Just cutting ties without giving any reason or attempt to retain her in another capacity probably wouldn't have put them in this situation.

It's show business. That's what tv news is. Same with pro sports. When athletes get old, they get cut or are told to retire/go into coaching. Actors lose lead roles based on age and appearance. People choose political leaders based on looks and charm for crying out loud. Entertainers should be aware of this when they choose to go into that field.

ISUTex

May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
I don't know about the plastic surgery part but it's not uncommon anymore for on-air personalities to get some work done as they get older I guess. I think a lot of her transformation physically was from her making drastic lifestyle changes after her drunk driving incident and training to do the iron man triathlons which takes a lot of dedication to get yourself in shape physically to have the endurance to complete it. I think her and Erin also kind of started up their own fitness thing on social media too a few years back that had a good following.

Has anyone ever looked better after getting plastic surgery to look younger?

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
Has anyone ever looked better after getting plastic surgery to look younger?
i6R14FA.gif

KnappShack

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 26, 2008
Parts Unknown
Does it really imply age was a reason though? I don't know if that's apparent based on just the contract. It could also easily be explained as "Hey, we want to go in a new direction, but we know you've been here a long time, so instead of getting rid of you completely, we'd like to offer you something else.". That's fully within the rights of the station. Absent some kind of smoking gun, I don't think she has much to stand on.

Now wait for the "lowlight" tape from WHO showing every on air screw up and stumble.

If that boring ass Van Harden can stay in the market then a dead turtle should be qualified for the 5 o'clock newscast

abcguyks

Apr 11, 2006
Olathe
How else do you try to even run a business. It's pretty much impossible anymore because of comments like that.

I've experienced something similar in the consulting firm where I work regarding older employees being laid off. The part that makes sense in many of the cases is that most of them were in a position that what they were being paid (rather well due to long time in similar position) was too much for the company to make money based on what these persons could be billed out at to our clients. The people that got caught in this web were primarily people who had plateaued out in their career. It just didn't make business sense for the company to keep them around.

volclone

Apr 11, 2006
Here's how: don't break the law. Especially employment law. Its amazing to me with all the money and headcount devoted to Human Resources in most businesses, how they continue to act like there are no laws governing employment. BTW....business people said the same thing when Harkin got the ADA passed many years ago. I see no evidence that it has harmed business or business formation in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.