Some folks don't like to pay bills...

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
"“We never know how it’s going to play out, but we tried to put in place — a little bit at times I was referring to it like writing the U.S. Constitution — which you have to create some values and principles you stand on and try to make those inviolate, and then try to add enough flexibility into it — a structure that can support those values but enough flexibility as the world evolves,” Harreld said at the time.""

That is NOT how you write a contract. About every municipality in the USA has a similar contract with a utility provider, and which fees etc are included and which are not is spelled out in great detail. "Flexibility' seems insane to me in a contract, that's the OPPOSITE of what a contract is supposed to be.

My gods, what a negative advertisement for their law program. First they go to the wall and lose the Barta sex discrimination lawsuits, and now they can't even vet a contract???

Is Lionel Hutz the Dean of the College of Law at Iowa??

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
This whole deal is dumb but I’m not sure Iowa is exactly in the wrong about some of those payments. Without seeing the actual contract we can’t know but I’d side with Iowa more than the company.

cy90

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 12, 2010
  • Winner
Reactions: aauummm

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
Aren't they still paying off Lickliter and Doyle? And possibly the women's field hockey coach?
Pretty sure the women's field hockey coach and the assistant AD were paid by taxpayers after their successful lawsuits against the U of I.
I'd imagine Doyle was paid out of AD funds.

cy4life94

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 26, 2012
Cedar Rapids
Did they ever pay the children’s hospital bill

They are actually still fighting some of that. Costing them $3k everyday in interest and they keep losing.

So in addition to the recent $12.8 million verdict, Modern Piping asked the judge to order the UI pay “prejudgment interest” amounting to $3.1 million to date — or nearly $3,000 a day. Judge Kepros this week approved that accruing interest — bringing the new total the UI owes Modern Piping, including the jury award, to $15.9 million.

https://www.thegazette.com/higher-e...n-long-running-childrens-hospital-spat/?amp=1

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Perhaps the hoks should have called Saul.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
They are actually still fighting some of that. Costing them $3k everyday in interest and they keep losing.

So in addition to the recent $12.8 million verdict, Modern Piping asked the judge to order the UI pay “prejudgment interest” amounting to $3.1 million to date — or nearly $3,000 a day. Judge Kepros this week approved that accruing interest — bringing the new total the UI owes Modern Piping, including the jury award, to $15.9 million.

https://www.thegazette.com/higher-e...n-long-running-childrens-hospital-spat/?amp=1
Seems like they should have… oh, I don’t know… Settled?!?!?

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
"“We never know how it’s going to play out, but we tried to put in place — a little bit at times I was referring to it like writing the U.S. Constitution — which you have to create some values and principles you stand on and try to make those inviolate, and then try to add enough flexibility into it — a structure that can support those values but enough flexibility as the world evolves,” Harreld said at the time.""

That is NOT how you write a contract. About every municipality in the USA has a similar contract with a utility provider, and which fees etc are included and which are not is spelled out in great detail. "Flexibility' seems insane to me in a contract, that's the OPPOSITE of what a contract is supposed to be.

My gods, what a negative advertisement for their law program. First they go to the wall and lose the Barta sex discrimination lawsuits, and now they can't even vet a contract???

Is Lionel Hutz the Dean of the College of Law at Iowa??

Agree. You'd think every possible contingency would be spelled out, especially for a giant financial deal?!?!?

Reactions: CascadeClone

CloneJD

May 14, 2020
Great look for the UofI Law school.
The law school doesn’t manage university contracts, the university general counsel does. They in no way are related. The general counsel most assuredly used an outside firm to come to an agreement. That outside firm dropped the ball.