SOLD

• After Iowa State won the Big 12, a Cyclone made a wonderful offer to We Will that now increases our match. Now all gifts up to $400,000 between now and the Final 4 will be matched. Please consider giving at We Will Collective.
    This notice can be dismissed using the upper right corner X button.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Re: THANK GOD!!!!!!!

I was going to post a similar thought.....but members of his CF fan club are always waiting to pounce on you when you say something negative about the great and all knowing hawkeye celebrity. So....I say nothing.:no:

There doesnt need to be a fanclub, and there doesnt need to be haters. If you don't like it when I try to talk about Cyclone athletics, just hit the back button on your browser, and don't read it.

But until the admins of this site ask me to not come and be a part of this community, I am going to visit it, and be a part of it.

I don't come here under false pretense. I am an Iowa fan, who two and a half years ago, was offered a job to talk sports in Des Moines, Iowa. I was not told to get involved in talking about ISU sports. But I like talking about things local, things Iowa, and Iowa State is a big player in that.

So as I began following the teams, getting to know the coaches and administrators and some fans, it's not hard to root for people that you respect to be successful. Some people might be wired like that, but I am not.

Are there times when ISU loses that there is some sense of satisfaction for me personally? Yes. But that goes away quickly, and the only reason it exists, is because of the very small percentage of ISU fans I come into contact with that I find to be ignorant and hate filled, when we are just talking about sports. But after that passes quickly, there is no glee or joy for me, because people I like and respect have lost. I don't like seeing McDermott lose any game, other than the Iowa game. Same goes for Fennelly, Sanderson and it will certainly extend to Rhoads.

I think my job is more fun when everyone is doing well. It might be more dramatic and drive by when they aren't, but I would much rather prefer success.

I always chuckle at the folks that make posts like 'what is a radio host doing trolling boards?' a) I see it as a part of my job to know what the fans are talking about. b) it helps direct and guide discussions and conversations on my radio show c) I am a sports fan, and ISU happens to be a pretty important thing to a lot of people in this state, therefor I am going to be insterested.

Besides; every person in the media in this state visits sites like this, sites like mine, sites like Paul Clarks, etc. Most of them may not post, but again, this is my background.

If you still have a problem with that, just start ignoring my posts, because I am not going away. I have been a part of message boards for the past 12 years, 10 of those years professionally as a web community founder and moderator. My first involvement with the internet from an end user's perspective were fan forums. I am a fan, just like you that read these boards. And I will continue to be.

Reactions: jumbopackage

Bobber

Apr 12, 2006
Hudson, Iowa
Jon,

I like your posts. Most are pretty good(however still vividly remember your dead cardinal avitar which was maybe funny for you, but stupid to put on this site.)

It's good to hear your point of view, however I always take it with a grain of salt as your true love as you indicated is Iowa.

There are lot worse Hawk fans out there folks. Don't beat up on Jon too much. His presences offers some balance.

CyCloneSouth

Dec 20, 2008
Nice to see an Iowa guy get the job. I'm sure hope Cyclone fans will give the guy some time to win. Too bad ISU doesn't get to play in an easier conference like the Little Ten...

GoShow97

Oct 18, 2006
homeless

There doesnt need to be a fanclub, and there doesnt need to be haters. If you don't like it when I try to talk about Cyclone athletics, just hit the back button on your browser, and don't read it.

Yes, but couldn't we all save the time and trouble by you not posting in the first place. :wink:

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Jon,

I like your posts. Most are pretty good(however still vividly remember your dead cardinal avitar which was maybe funny for you, but stupid to put on this site.)

It's good to hear your point of view, however I always take it with a grain of salt as your true love as you indicated is Iowa.

Bobber, all of that is fair. And folks wont always agree with my opinions, and debate is half the fun. And yes, in hindsight, the avatar was a stupid thing to do.

Lloyd88

Jun 5, 2008
Waterloo, Iowa
With this guy's passion, anything is possible. I don't know the guy, but he makes you want to get to know him...he has the personality that makes you root for him right away.. Plus, he is an Iowan, and that always rates high in my book

Some old dude thousands of years ago once said..."You measure your own greatness by the strength of your adversary." or maybe I read it in a comic book.....I can't remember.....

Any way, Jon knows that a strong ISU pushes Iowa to become stronger....

Reactions: Bobber

balken

Apr 14, 2006
People, people! Can't we call just get along? We are all friends here. Let's have a Fresca and enjoy the dance moves of Jean-Claude Van Damme.

jcvd.gif

Reactions: Lloyd88

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
Some old dude thousands of years ago once said..."You measure your own greatness by the strength of your adversary." or maybe I read it in a comic book.....I can't remember.....

Any way, Jon knows that a strong ISU pushes Iowa to become stronger....

I am always one that hopes someone can push his or herself, regardless of the obstacles in their way. But I guess you are probably right.

I know that Dan McCarney turned this football series into something that Iowa fans care about a lot more now than they once did. They care about it very much, and Kirk has taken some heat when it has seemed his teams were not the more emotionally ready to go in this one, when Danny Mac was in Ames.

I was thinking this morning that Iowa's recruiting in Des Moines just became more challenging. If there is an Ankeny kid that is BCS scholarship worthy, Iowa's advantage has been impacted. Does Andy Brodell, whose father had ISU season tickets, go to Iowa if Paul Rhoads is there? Does Kyle Schlicher go to Iowa?

It will be interesting to follow.

weR138

Feb 20, 2008

But until the admins of this site ask me to not come and be a part of this community, I am going to visit it, and be a part of it.

I don't come here under false pretense. I am an Iowa fan, who two and a half years ago, was offered a job to talk sports in Des Moines, Iowa. I was not told to get involved in talking about ISU sports. But I like talking about things local, things Iowa, and Iowa State is a big player in that.

So as I began following the teams, getting to know the coaches and administrators and some fans, it's not hard to root for people that you respect to be successful. Some people might be wired like that, but I am not.

Are there times when ISU loses that there is some sense of satisfaction for me personally? Yes. But that goes away quickly, and the only reason it exists, is because of the very small percentage of ISU fans I come into contact with that I find to be ignorant and hate filled, when we are just talking about sports. But after that passes quickly, there is no glee or joy for me, because people I like and respect have lost. I don't like seeing McDermott lose any game, other than the Iowa game. Same goes for Fennelly, Sanderson and it will certainly extend to Rhoads.

I think my job is more fun when everyone is doing well. It might be more dramatic and drive by when they aren't, but I would much rather prefer success.

I always chuckle at the folks that make posts like 'what is a radio host doing trolling boards?' a) I see it as a part of my job to know what the fans are talking about. b) it helps direct and guide discussions and conversations on my radio show c) I am a sports fan, and ISU happens to be a pretty important thing to a lot of people in this state, therefor I am going to be insterested.

Besides; every person in the media in this state visits sites like this, sites like mine, sites like Paul Clarks, etc. Most of them may not post, but again, this is my background.

If you still have a problem with that, just start ignoring my posts, because I am not going away. I have been a part of message boards for the past 12 years, 10 of those years professionally as a web community founder and moderator. My first involvement with the internet from an end user's perspective were fan forums. I am a fan, just like you that read these boards. And I will continue to be.

Jon, did you know Black Sabbath wrote a song about you? It's called Megalomania. It's on the Sabbotage album. You should check it out, it rocks!

benjay

Mar 23, 2006
I enjoy your posts Jon. Most of us here don't hate Iowa at all. We just (like you) get tired of some of their fans.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006

Jon, did you know Black Sabbath wrote a song about you? It's called Megalomania. It's on the Sabbotage album. You should check it out, it rocks!

When you are the target, come talk to me.

clonecard

Oct 21, 2006
Jon....good to hear you are hanging around. Your observations are usually spot on and most isu fans have no problem with you. Now your buddy Marty.....geeze.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I might be the one here who complains about Jon's show the most here. I dislike the Hawks as much as anyone here. That being said, I still think Jon is a good guy and enjoy his presence here and enjoy his show for the most part.

Those of you who are being jerks to him need to grow up a bit. Of course, if you looks at the history of those who are being jerks, the behavior isn't really a surprise.