SOLD

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
While I grew up in Indiana, I've got plenty of roots in Iowa (my family has been in Iowa longer than it's been a state), and moved here to go to ISU after high school.

Quite frankly, I love it in central Iowa. I travel quite a bit for work, and there aren't many places I would really consider moving to outside of the DSM area.

Maybe a few places in Colorado.

Maybe back to where I grew up in northern Indiana.

But I REALLY like the area. It's not perfect, but nowhere is.

mxerclone

Aug 4, 2006
Ames, IA
I just finally got to watch the press conference and, MAN, does that give me chills. I have been patiently waiting and watching everyone's speculations about the next coach but never would I have thought this would be the choice. I am extremely excited about Paul and the enthusiam he does have for the state. You never saw GC get choked up when talking about the "cardinal and gold".

I am extremely excited for the future. GO CLONES!

Reactions: CycloneErik

jumbopackage

Sep 18, 2007
I just finally got to watch the press conference and, MAN, does that give me chills. I have been patiently waiting and watching everyone's speculations about the next coach but never would I have thought this would be the choice. I am extremely excited about Paul and the enthusiam he does have for the state. You never saw GC get choked up when talking about the "cardinal and gold".

I am extremely excited for the future. GO CLONES!
It just kinda struck me that the comparison between Rhoades and Chizik is the comparison between the NFL and college football.

Rhoades wants to be HERE. Chizik just wants to be somewhere.

Phaedrus

Jan 13, 2008
Khorasan
For those of you that have lived away from Iowa and moved back, did you feel, as I did, a pull to get back home? I don't know if its unique to this state or not, but I know I felt it very strongly. Sounds like Coach Rhoads felt that too, and the emotion that was coming out was just beautiful. How can you not be excited about that, and just pure happy for the guy?

I think that is a thread that binds most of us...we might not know each other, like I don't know Paul, but we have key things in common, and we therefore can share in someone's emotions, someone's joy. That is what I felt when watching the presser. I liked it so much the first time, I am watching it again.

Dude, my whole life is on the road. Having lived and worked internationally, in addition to garden spots like D.C. or Lake City, Florida, I am really digging being back in our Iowa house, even at -30 F.

I am an Iowan. Our whole family is. Funny thing; I recently have been working on a project about the Middle East with a brilliant academic who grew up 6 miles away from me in Northwest Iowa. It's amazing how wonderful it is to work with someone who you really share a common culture/background with.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
The "pull" oh yeah definitely felt it. I used to live in College Station Texas got transferred down there because of Business from Ames. Lived there for a year and a half left the company and got my butt back to Iowa, Ames in particular. After my wife graduated from this great University jobs for her were hard to come by so we went down to Kentucky, Paducah area. Was there for two months did not like it at all. Got jobs back here in Ames and Des Moines and again could not wait to get back. We live happily in Ames and love this town and ISU!!! The people here are like no other that I have met in my travels. Most Iowans are special people with great roots, demeanor, personality and we do not want to leave this place:smile:. Go Clones baby!!!

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
Watching that press conference yesterday was refreshing in the fact that coach Rhoades wants to be here emotions were pretty obvious. My wife and I being Iowans our whole life felt that connection just watching the man. Imagine meeting him whoa!! Glad to have you here coach!!! Thanks Jamie and president Geoffrey (hopefully spelled that correctly).

Neckbeard

Dec 20, 2008
This is what I never understood about Chizik. It is really easy to get Iowans to like you. We WANT to like you. You just have to give us something to grab on to. Just be honest, have a smile, maybe tell a joke and we are yours for the taking. Chiz kept everyone at arm's length during his mercifully short tenure. Rhoads, on the other hand, passes that test with flying colors. Having lived in Iowa for most of my life it seems so easy.

Reactions: KneeGusto

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
This is what I never understood about Chizik. It is really easy to get Iowans to like you. We WANT to like you. You just have to give us something to grab on to. Just be honest, have a smile, maybe tell a joke and we are yours for the taking. Chiz kept everyone at arm's length during his mercifully short tenure. Rhoads, on the other hand, passes that test with flying colors. Having lived in Iowa for most of my life it seems so easy.

Yup. It ain't rocket science. Be a genuine and warm person, and we're in. That's all it takes.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa

Good way of putting it. Very true.

JonDMiller

Jun 2, 2006
This is what I never understood about Chizik. It is really easy to get Iowans to like you. We WANT to like you. You just have to give us something to grab on to. Just be honest, have a smile, maybe tell a joke and we are yours for the taking.

Great points

cycloneryan

May 21, 2006
Des Moines
Am I about to give Miller props for a post of his on this website? That snowball isn't melting like I thought it would.

Nice post JM.

ISU4ME

Aug 26, 2007
Jon is a closet Cyclone fan and gets closer and closer to getting out of that closet each day. :)

You would think coming out of the closet for a second time would be easier and quicker :wideeyed:.

Seriously Jon, I appreciate your insight from an outsiders perspective. You like to dish it out but you can also take it. Kind of like that annoying little brother that at times annoys you but at the end of the day it is all good.

ISUAlum2002

Apr 11, 2006
Toon Town, IA
I agree with others who have said that PR showed more emotion yesterday afternoon than Chizik did in two years here.

What I saw from Chizik was a guy who knew he was headed towards better jobs, regardless of how he did here. It looked like he viewed the ISU job as a "well, I gotta do this just to appease the larger programs who want a guy with head coaching experience somewhere, anywhere" type of thing and didn't really invest himself emotionally in the job or the program.

I'm really glad we got a buy who really wants to be here, and isn't just here because it is the natural progression of his coaching career.

Wesley

Apr 12, 2006
Omaha
Gene punched the clock while in Ames. After losing ten in a row the normal coach would have been more irate.

copenhagen

Apr 23, 2007
THANK GOD!!!!!!!

jonboy likes the hire! Wake the kids! alert the neighbors! Shout it from the top of barns and water towers! We dont have to ship Rhoads back to Alabama since the great one has spoken. I dont know about the others, but i was waiting with bated breath to hear your approval. This is truly a glorious day!

Reactions: dosry5

dosry5

Nov 28, 2006
Johnston
Re: THANK GOD!!!!!!!

jonboy likes the hire! Wake the kids! alert the neighbors! Shout it from the top of barns and water towers! We dont have to ship Rhoads back to Alabama since the great one has spoken. I dont know about the others, but i was waiting with bated breath to hear your approval. This is truly a glorious day!

I was going to post a similar thought.....but members of his CF fan club are always waiting to pounce on you when you say something negative about the great and all knowing hawkeye celebrity. So....I say nothing.:no:

Reactions: URBCLONE

NobodyBeatsCy

Apr 17, 2008
Clive, IA
Re: THANK GOD!!!!!!!

I was going to post a similar thought.....but members of his CF fan club are always waiting to pounce on you when you say something negative about the great and all knowing hawkeye celebrity. So....I say nothing.:no:
Your silence is deafening! Good job outta... oh crap, nevermind!

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek

I could not agree more.

Help Support Us

Become a patron