Soares on WBB Staff - Grad Asst.

iacyguy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 1, 2011
The Dirty Dodge
I must have missed something. Wasn't she drafted? Did she just not make the team or is she just choosing to start a coaching career?

Reactions: peteypie

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
I must have missed something. Wasn't she drafted? Did she just not make the team or is she just choosing to start a coaching career?
Wondering the same. Wonder if the healing process is preventing her from playing.

mred

Oct 19, 2006
SE WI
bball.notnothing.net
Because she's injured and can't play this season, the Wings aren't officially signing her until before next season -- they retain the rights to do that. Her ACL tear was less than 6 months ago.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Because she's injured and can't play this season, the Wings aren't officially signing her until before next season -- they retain the rights to do that. Her ACL tear was less than 6 months ago.
I think Bill also explains it in the release,

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
Hell, apparently no guarantee you even play no matter where you're drafted. May as well learn to coach!

StClone

Dec 17, 2009
Wisconsin
Her goal is the WNBA. But, I could see her thinking long and hard about risking another ACL or worst and not following her dream. Just my thoughts, nothing beyond that.

• Agree
Reactions: riceville98

jcf817

Mar 2, 2023
North Carolina
Her goal is the WNBA. But, I could see her thinking long and hard about risking another ACL or worst and not following her dream. Just my thoughts, nothing beyond that.
But the WNBA season is during the Summer, so it's too soon for her to be playing after the ACL injury anyway.

• Agree
Reactions: ruxCYtable

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
But the WNBA season is during the Summer, so it's too soon for her to be playing after the ACL injury anyway.

I was thinking she might rehab back in Brazil with whatever resources Team Brazil might have but the option to do that in Ames with folks she knows is certainly a really good one for her. Actually would fit her "routine" of the last five years, just sub "work and rehab" for practice and then "work/practice" . Really a win-win.

Will be interesting to see if by 2nd semester she risks playing overseas or just waits for WNBA. Seems waiting is by far the best option. At ISU she can at least have daily scrimmages in a real team environment with support that would be lacking overseas. And a second year of conditioning.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
She should still have a year to play with us, but stamped no as soon as NCAA saw ISU letterhead
She played more than 13 games....

The rules say she could not be given a waiver.

It was always a very long shot that they would give one, being all the rules say she wasnt a candidate for a waiver.

• Sad
Reactions: riceville98

savepolarbears

Dec 4, 2013
CBF explained on a CF video this week, it’s for fall semester, then they will talk with Wings and her agent about whether to pursue a mid-season contract. He said she is ahead of schedule, so if she wants to play there is a good shot she would be cleared with enough time to do it.