So Now Who is Your Starting 5?

Discussion in 'Mens Basketball' started by WesRuby, May 8, 2016.

1. SolarGarlic

SolarGarlic Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2016
    Prohm said for the team to max out, Burton needs to average a double double. I don't see him doing that coming off the bench.

2. State43

State43 Well-Known Member

Nov 22, 2010
    Graphic Designer
    Omaha, NE
    Burton will be arguably the biggest playmaker on the floor. My guess is, He will start at the 4, but play the 3 most of the time. The big question will be how many minutes Naz, Thomas and Jackson get throughout the year. If we don't play small the majority of the time, I can't imagine they get more than 26-28 minutes a game which is crazy. We really need our posts (Young, Carter, Lard) to see big strides though the year to help Bowie and Holden contribute.
    And who knows where Babb fits into this roster. Will be a wild ride.

3. Rabbuk

Rabbuk Well-Known Member

Mar 1, 2011
    Didn't Mizzou or someone lose to Liberty in the Dance a few years ago because they had like a 5 guard lineup?

4. NetflixAndClone

NetflixAndClone Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Student
    Ames
    Did anyone tell him?

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. isutrevman

isutrevman Well-Known Member

Jan 30, 2007
    Student
    Ames, IA
    Missou lost as a 2 seed the year they played 4 guards. I wouldn't say starting 4 guards was the reason they lost though. Duke lost as a 2 seed the same day and they only started 3 guards.

6. farminclone

farminclone Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2009
    That sounds right. They went through a stretch where they were very guard-oriented. They had good guards and were fun to watch but I think you are right they got knocked out early.

I love a 4 guard line-up, and even using the line-up that Mtown threw out there if the situation calls for it, but that starting 5 would be silly.

7. rholtgraves

rholtgraves Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    Villanova won the Championship last year with a 4 guard lineup. But Ochefu is bigger than anyone ISU has and better than anyone has at that spot. But off the bench they only had a couple of 6'7 6'8 guys. So it can definitely be done.

Also, is there anymore news on Jackson's wrist?

8. rholtgraves

rholtgraves Well-Known Member

Sep 25, 2009
    If Burton is getting beat out by Young that is bad sign and they wouldn't be reaching their potential

• Agree Agree x 2
  9. NetflixAndClone

NetflixAndClone Well-Known Member

Sep 6, 2015
    Student
    Ames
    Prohm said everyone is healthy but that may of been coach speak for the media day. Jackson is in my class and I never see him complaining about it. I don't think that's a good barometer for it though.

10. LLCoolJansma

LLCoolJansma Well-Known Member

Apr 28, 2010
    Male
    Quality
    Minneapolis
    Guess we really just need to speculate on the Center at this point with Prohm naming 4 starter at Big 12 Media Day.

@dylanmuntz Prohm didn't name his fifth starter, but said Merrill Holden and Darrell Bowie are both candidates.

@dylanmuntz Said in a perfect world, the fifth guy would be Holden (given his size) but Bowie has practiced well lately.

@dylanmuntz So as it stands, the starters would probably be Morris, Mitrou-Long, Thomas, Burton and Holden. Not set in stone, but likely.

Of course we still can debate 1-2-3 off the bench for fun.

11. HFCS

HFCS Well-Known Member

Aug 13, 2010
    Art Director
    LA LA Land
    Simple: The four returning seniors and whoever can get the most rebounds.

12. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    Morris
    Mitrou-Long
    Thomas
    Burton
    Holden
    ---
    Jackson
    Weiler-Babb
    Bowie

Long and Young are talented but young. They will have a chance to compete for playing time with next year's talented class with an advantage in system familiarity/experience.

Never saw much from Carter.

Eight-man rotation it is.

13. coolerifyoudid

coolerifyoudid Well-Known Member

Feb 8, 2013
    Male
    KC
    http://cyclonefanatic.com/2016/10/who-will-be-iowa-states-starting-five-for-game-one-on-nov-11/

“I don’t want to say who’s going to start,” Prohm said at Big 12’s annual media day event on Tuesday. “If you look at the front court guys right now, probably Burton, Merrill and Bowie. Then Solomon, those are the four guys right now that are up front.”

This can't be overly encouraging for Simeon Carter. I realize he didn't show much last year, but I was hoping to hear his name mentioned more favorably in the off-season.

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. acgclone

acgclone Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2007
    If we land Stokes and/or Lard, I would seriously doubt Carter ever does anything besides add depth.

15. WastedTalent

WastedTalent Well-Known Member

Oct 22, 2012
    Young will play

• Agree Agree x 1
  16. HornacekFan1414

HornacekFan1414 Well-Known Member

Nov 9, 2014
    Frisco, TX
    IF we have those 2 next year, I would imagine there is a good chance we don't have Carter...unless he somehow had a breakout season

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. WesRuby

WesRuby Member

Apr 2, 2014
    I rest my case...curious to see if this is going to change with the way that some are playing. Who knows, Solomon Young could be a sexy pick in a couple weeks with how physical he has been.

18. Sigmapolis

Sigmapolis Well-Known Member

Aug 10, 2011
    Male
    Washington, DC
    I think I was pretty close above.

19. WesRuby

WesRuby Member

Apr 2, 2014
    Alright, I guess it's kind of "that time of the year again." This year I think is a little bit More tricky than last year.

Jackson
    Wigginton
    Babe
    Beverly/Brase
    Solomon Young

I'd like to see where everyone else stands.

20. ZB4CY

ZB4CY Active Member

Dec 17, 2012
    Male
    West Des Moines, IA

Ah yes! My favorite. I haven't seen 1000 of these on other threads throughout CF.

Please everyone post your line ups!!

• Funny Funny x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1