So many reasons to boycott tonights CFP title game

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Nope, time to throw in Notre Dame who lost to the two legit teams they played all season or some other teams that really weren't that good.

Or Oklahoma. Who gets beaten like a drum every time they make the playoffs. Or a big 10 team. That would be exciting.

Reactions: isufbcurt

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
Well, since Georgia couldn’t beat Bama in the SEC title game, they’re actually just 1-1 against each other. Better play again so we can be certain who is “best.”
Well then the Giants and Patriots better call everyone up and run back that Super Bowl since the Pats won in the final regular season game and the Giants won the Super Bowl. I mean they are 1-1 right? This argument and take makes no sense when this happens in every other sport.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006
I don't normally go in for the human interest storylines that sometimes get tacked on to big sporting events but Stetson Bennett being a lifelong Georgia fan and former walk on, quarterbacking the team to its first championship in 40 years is a pretty good narrative.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Well then the Giants and Patriots better call everyone up and run back that Super Bowl since the Pats won in the final regular season game and the Giants won the Super Bowl. I mean they are 1-1 right? This argument and take makes no sense when this happens in every other sport.
Well, if the NFL was like the CFP, the giants would not have even been there because they were the 5 seed in the NFC. This helps to prove the issues with the current playoff system. It’s hard to tell who really would win several years, especially when some teams are out in by eye test over other teams.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com

You’re making my point for me.

My point is, lots of people want to ignore the results of regular season games and just pick the teams they see as “the best.” Yet, the outcomes of two specific games in January are somehow more valid.

What was the point of the SEC championship if the loser is allowed a second crack at it?

I don’t deny Georgia was one of the best teams this season, and “deserved” a title shot. However, I’d prefer a system where conference champions earn their way to the postseason tournament. I mean, look, we’re saying Georgia proved they are the “best.” Yet they couldn’t even win their conference! Doesn’t that game tell us that Bama was the “best,” therefore Georgia should have lost their shot? Why is the outcome of the CFP championship “proof” yet the outcome of the SEC championship doesn’t mean anything?

This is all individual opinion and we will never get everyone to agree on a perfect system. That’s fine. I’m just stating my preference here - conference champions should qualify for the CFP - then it’s a Tournament of Champions. Once you start using some other criteria for determining who is “best” and deserves a shot, in my view it cheapens the actual outcome of games on the field. I mean, I’ve heard arguments from people on this message board that we need to ignore upsets when we pick CFP teams. Then why the heck are we playing a season? And what’s the argument against, say, Cincinnati getting a few crazy breaks over two games, upsetting Bama and Georgia and ending up with the title? Would we say they were the “best” team? Probably not … but they’d still be the champions.

Champions and best are not necessarily the same thing. Give everyone an equal opportunity - win your damn conference - and then let the games play out. Just my take.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
We do not know because they put a conference runner up in the playoffs. Any given day, any team is beatable. The basketball tournament proves that every year.
That's why they look at the season's total work rather than a given day (conference championship). Georgia absolutely throttled every opponent up to the SEC championship game.

Baylor had a few blowouts but mostly played close to their opponents for the entirety of the season.

And if you're putting Baylor in it's probably at the expense of Cincinatti, who was undefeated and a conference champion.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You’re making my point for me.

My point is, lots of people want to ignore the results of regular season games and just pick the teams they see as “the best.” Yet, the outcomes of two specific games in January are somehow more valid.

What was the point of the SEC championship if the loser is allowed a second crack at it?

I don’t deny Georgia was one of the best teams this season, and “deserved” a title shot. However, I’d prefer a system where conference champions earn their way to the postseason tournament. I mean, look, we’re saying Georgia proved they are the “best.” Yet they couldn’t even win their conference! Doesn’t that game tell us that Bama was the “best,” therefore Georgia should have lost their shot? Why is the outcome of the CFP championship “proof” yet the outcome of the SEC championship doesn’t mean anything?

This is all individual opinion and we will never get everyone to agree on a perfect system. That’s fine. I’m just stating my preference here - conference champions should qualify for the CFP - then it’s a Tournament of Champions. Once you start using some other criteria for determining who is “best” and deserves a shot, in my view it cheapens the actual outcome of games on the field. I mean, I’ve heard arguments from people on this message board that we need to ignore upsets when we pick CFP teams. Then why the heck are we playing a season? And what’s the argument against, say, Cincinnati getting a few crazy breaks over two games, upsetting Bama and Georgia and ending up with the title? Would we say they were the “best” team? Probably not … but they’d still be the champions.

Champions and best are not necessarily the same thing. Give everyone an equal opportunity - win your damn conference - and then let the games play out. Just my take.
This set up is the only one where a committee can determine more of the outcome than the play. 4 teams make it and a lot is off rankings and eye test. Basketball you win your tourney or have a good resume and they let in 68 teams. Baseball, they have regionals to get there. Wrestling has 33 at each weight and you have qualifier tournaments to get in. Volleyball is like basketball. Track is a regional.

This current set up needs to change. Bowl games are a relic and need to move on and keep becoming more like the FCS.

DarkStar

Sep 15, 2009
Omaha
Well, if the NFL was like the CFP, the giants would not have even been there because they were the 5 seed in the NFC. This helps to prove the issues with the current playoff system. It’s hard to tell who really would win several years, especially when some teams are out in by eye test over other teams.
If the NFL was like the CFP then we would still be watching the Steelers play the Cowboys in the Super Bowl every year because "eye test" never would have let any other team ever get a shot at it.

ScottyP

Special Teams Coordinator
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 24, 2007
Urbandale, IA
I didn't have much interest in this game, but decided to watch anyways. It ended up being a decent game and the 2nd half was exciting. I think Bama losing that wide receiver likely cost them the game. They looked like they were dominating up until that point.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
If the NFL was like the CFP then we would still be watching the Steelers play the Cowboys in the Super Bowl every year because "eye test" never would have let any other team ever get a shot at it.
Yep, and a lot the fans from the big ten and SEC can’t comprehend how this favors their two conferences. They don’t realize that basically most of the talking heads and game broadcasters are from those two conferences. How many times do we hear about the color guys yapping about the big ten and sec whenever they can during a game that doesn’t involve those two conferences? Quite a bit. The narrative is driven home in many ways.

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Since people are bringing the NFL into this, can you imagine what it would look like if they used the CFP system?

The committee would meet after the Raiders-Chargers game Sunday night, then announce the playoff qualifiers as Green Bay, Kansas City, Tampa Bay and the Rams. Nope, Tennessee doesn’t make it, because they weren’t ranked high enough in September. Nope, not the Cowboys, don’t meet the eye test.

That’s what we’re dealing with in college football. Now, personally, I don’t know about extending things into a 16 or 32 game playoff like the FCS - but let‘s at least have a clearly defined criteria for qualifying for the CFP … like winning your conference.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I had Bama moneyline last night and thought I was taking money from a baby. My FIL asked me to put $50 on Georgia at -3 for him via my DK app and I took his money but told him he'd be better of lighting it on fire. Well, this morning he is richer than me, and I feel like crap.

• Haha
Reactions: PSYclone22

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Since people are bringing the NFL into this, can you imagine what it would look like if they used the CFP system?

The committee would meet after the Raiders-Chargers game Sunday night, then announce the playoff qualifiers as Green Bay, Kansas City, Tampa Bay and the Rams. Nope, Tennessee doesn’t make it, because they weren’t ranked high enough in September. Nope, not the Cowboys, don’t meet the eye test.

That’s what we’re dealing with in college football. Now, personally, I don’t know about extending things into a 16 or 32 game playoff like the FCS - but let‘s at least have a clearly defined criteria for qualifying for the CFP … like winning your conference.
One small tweak, cowboys would probably make it since they seem to get the benefit of the doubt and are treated like the SEC in the nfl.

PSYclone22

Visual Analytics Mercenary
SuperFanatic
Aug 15, 2012
Des Moines
College Football is not equivalent to the NFL and it doesn't have to be to find it enjoyable. Nearly every championship tournament in college sports involves having invitations not based on conference championships. And they're all fun!

Reactions: jctisu and Mr Janny

Help Support Us

Become a patron